News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:05PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 282
Total: 288

Hypothetical Question

Started by Nomad, 20-05-05, 12:36AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

http://www.youthforhumanrights.org/what-are-human-rights/videos/freedom-of-expression.html

QuoteEveryone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

I believe this subject is not as clear cut as some like to portray.  There has been, I believe, libel cases that have failed in this country due to the 'right to an opinion' being upheld and/or the alleged libel being found to be true.  One being a famous model and drug taking.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

tumshie

Why would there be any need for disciplinary action or legal action if what has been said is true?
Unless confidential business information has been given away.

gomezz

But has there ever been such a case where what has been posted has been proven to be true?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Shoestring

Quote from: Nomad on 20-05-05, 12:36AM
Would be grateful for all your learned opinions. No wise cracks or jokes (they will be deleted), stick to the point please.

Hypothetical  ??? : if a person posts on here or on the public side a post that criticises the management and their way of doing things, and/or the way they have been treated by management.   Should they be subject to disciplinary action.

Also: In your opinion what const*tutes bringing the company into disrepute.

Nomad ( Webmaster )

There really is no such thing as freedom of speech within bounds.
It is and should be necessary to express your opinion of experience toward a person in position of so called authority. It is essential in that it prevents such authority from becoming a law unto them self where corruption can prosper, not saying that it does, just that it has the potential.

Any opinion that is not in favour of or positive toward can be construed as bringing something into 'disrepute'. Therefore Tesco senior management have decided that colleagues, no matter their experience, short term or long term have no right to publicly air their opinion if not portraying a positive view to the business. This is dangerous ground and is a totalitarian way of operating.
Shut up or say something nice, even if what you experience is not nice, so long as you keep it to yourself.

Money makes money, hatred begets hatred, violence begets more violence etc., etc., if you want to be liked and seen as nice, then you need to be nice to your colleagues otherwise it's all a grand lie like most of the political, entertainment industrial system and it's paedophile, cannibalistic rulers *(apparently  8-)).

What's the point of having an opinion any more anyway, money talks and it's the only voice that reverberates around this planet and business, so if money told you to be nice, you be nice or you get your ass kicked.

Evil has no real opposition and has flourished.

Equalizer87

Tesco's view of personal opinions often reminds me of "Big Brother"  from 1984. It's always a case of tow the line regardless of how bad things are.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

OvaSees

Always makes me laugh when people go on about freedom of speech - there is no such thing in British law, freedom of speech is a concept built into the US constitution but quoted by people here who have been exposed to too much US media.

What is enshrined in British Law is freedom of expression (supplemented by EU human rights law) and it's quite a different thing. The fundamental difference is that the UK rights are conditional - you can express yourself however you like as long as you don't upset anybody else by doing so. In the US, you have the inalienable right to say whatever you please which implies the right to offend others even if they don't agree, a principle deemed essential to democracy by the founding fathers thus built into the constitution. This is precisely why the liberal movement in the US has for some time been making noise to amend the constitution - they want an EU style law so they have the right to be offended which would be abused to stifle freedom of speech.

What you see in Tesco is the natural result of human behaviour from interpretation of freedom of expression law - in other words, manipulation.

GasMonkey

Quote from: Nomad on 20-05-05, 12:36AM
Would be grateful for all your learned opinions. No wise cracks or jokes (they will be deleted), stick to the point please.

Hypothetical  ??? : if a person posts on here or on the public side a post that criticises the management and their way of doing things, and/or the way they have been treated by management.   Should they be subject to disciplinary action.

Also: In your opinion what const*tutes bringing the company into disrepute.

Nomad ( Webmaster )

As they say one mans right is another mans wrong.to be honest how could anyone criticise a member of Tosco Mangement they are perfect in every way (Or so they think) The ironic thing is the way they walk around as if they are Gods gift to retail truth be told most of them would not last a week outside the Tosco bubble

Nomad

GasMonkey has touched on the principle that it can be a matter of what one is not saying, examples-

Some people think the board are crooks, I can't image why  :o  :)
It's alleged MM do not have a clue, so I've heard  :-X
Is it possible Tesco deliberately over charge customers  :question:  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Hibsdaft

Quote from: Nomad on 23-10-17, 10:31AM
Is it possible Tesco deliberately over charge customers  :question:  8-)

I would doubt that very much, not because I trust them, but because of the absolute shitstorm there would be if it ever came to light it was happening, and that any Director / Manager who had sanctioned any such deliberate policy would be hung out to dry, and passed over to the police.

Nomad

Hibsdaft, I think you may not have read all my post and therefore not grasp the point I was making.  However would a deliberate overcharging scandal be similar to an accounting error or horse meat sales, so of course they would never do it   8-)  :)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk