Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:35PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 269
Total: 273

Lidl paying £8-20 per hour

Started by silverbackache, 18-09-15, 06:18PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loki

Quote from: lordadmiral on 20-09-15, 08:13AM
i remember that years back in my old store my night senior mgr wanted to cut breaks by half to 45 minutes and he was collecting signatures from staff but at the end most of idiots didn't agree for cutting break  time so we stuck with 1,5h unpaid breaks

So you didn't get what you wanted as a result of the majority being happy with a 90 minute break entitlement, spat out your dummy and refer to all your colleagues as being "idiots",  the majority of whom voted against a decrease in break entitlement.

Nice.

Quote from: delightful-donuts on 20-09-15, 08:39AM
An hour and a half that  I'd rather spend 'at home' 'sleeping' or whatever other way takes ' my fancy' NOT being stuck in Tesco's...thankyou very much!

Then spend your break entitlement away from Company premises.

No one can prevent you from taking a leisurely stroll or purchase a meal from your nearest fast food restaurant.

The fuss some people make regarding having a break entitlement that exceeds the statutory minimum is pathetic.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

delightful-donuts

An hour and a half that  I'd rather spend 'at home' 'sleeping' or whatever other way takes ' my fancy' NOT being stuck in Tesco's...thankyou very much!

Then spend your break entitlement away from Company premises.

No one can prevent you from taking a leisurely stroll or purchase a meal from your nearest fast food restaurant.

The fuss some people make regarding having a break entitlement that exceeds the statutory minimum is pathetic.
[/quote]
Firstly I work nights and were I work, taking a ''Leisurely stroll'  between the hours of 10pm to 7am would be downright stupid not to mention dangerous!
And secondly don't call me 'pathetic' just because my views and/or opinions differ from yours!

Loki

Your break entitlement exceeds the statutory minimum.
You do not have to spend that time on work premises, let alone spend that time actually working.

Furthermore, I didn't "call you" pathetic. I suggest you read my post again as you have obviously missed a very simple point.

delightful-donuts

I do not, never have or never will spend ANY of my  time working for Tesco
UNPAID!
I think if anybody is missing 'a simple point' it's you...MY point being, that I would prefer not to have more (unpaid) breaks than is statutory required.
30 minutes (either paid or unpaid by Tesco) would be adequate enough for me. My view, my opinion, but alas NOT my option! I have the union & Tesco to (not) thank for that.

Then spend your break entitlement away from Company premises.t want more than the statutory break entitlement

Loki

I can't help but chuckle along to all of this. Rest assured I understood your "complaint" to begin with albeit rather tiresome, pointless and trivial.

delightful-donuts

Well I'm glad I made you 'chuckle' ;DD
In my opinion you're a bore and a self-opiniated  numpty, who always thinks 'he-knows-best' & the phrase "my way or no way" comes to mind when I see many of you're posts & replies on this 'forum'...
I'll just add( before I leave this topic and let you get on with whatever or whomever you wish to chastise next, just because their opinion differs from yours!)...you're a union rep I believe?? well I'm just thankful that you don't 'represent me' with you're egotistical & one sided perspective on things

Loki

oliver

Donut-  loki has helped many people on here grow up.

delightful-donuts

Loki no worries and each to their own & free speech blahdy blah and all that :-*
Thanks for your contibution, oliver & sadly if I was any more 'grown-up' I'd probably be dead (-*-)
forgive me if I have an opinion and takes issue with anyone on here who considers
£2882 pa  of unpaid hours of my life that 'I have to' be at Tesco's  to be " tiresome, pointless & trivial" oh and pathetic.
That kinda sounds like something I'd expect to hear from a Tesco manager?
"I don't like it, but I lump it", as lots & lots & lots... Of tesco workers do in one(million) ways or another, it doesn't mean that I'm wrong & shouldn't be allowed to express my (our) views on here: Amen!

jojaca

Hour and half break for me personally is a chore, half hour is quite adequate. I would rather spend that extra hour in the house with my wife and children than making small talk to strangers about subjects I have no interest in, plus you get tempted eating an extra meal which i don't need or the cost. Maybe we can suggest a change of break rules to USDAW, so we at least get our monies worth out of our useless union.

mexicopete

Quote from: delightful-donuts on 20-09-15, 04:01PM
Loki no worries and each to their own & free speech blahdy blah and all that :-*
Thanks for your contibution, oliver & sadly if I was any more 'grown-up' I'd probably be dead (-*-)
forgive me if I have an opinion and takes issue with anyone on here who considers
£2882 pa  of unpaid hours of my life that 'I have to' be at Tesco's  to be " tiresome, pointless & trivial" oh and pathetic.
That kinda sounds like something I'd expect to hear from a Tesco manager?
"I don't like it, but I lump it", as lots & lots & lots... Of tesco workers do in one(million) ways or another, it doesn't mean that I'm wrong & shouldn't be allowed to express my (our) views on here: Amen!

It's the union to blame for the break situation, in fact they are to blame for most of the sh*t we have to put up with. USDAW need to grow a pair and do something for their paying membership instead of being so far up Tescos a*se they need crow barring down. by the way Loki never said you were pathetic, read his post again. :o :o :o
The worlds me lobster

lucgeo

So if you don't like the 90 minute break why don't you drop your hours?? Ask for 8hours which means only a 45 min break. If your on full time hours then you will only lose 15mins per shift?? You get to spend time at home etc! Winner winner chicken dinner!! That's only if you want that extra meal of course?  ;)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Denzil

Why not speak to your pm.
In our store they are practically begging us to reduce our breaks.
I now do a full day with 2 x 30 min breaks and leave 30 min earlier.

chris9997

surely the tesco wage is actually more than the £7.39 in london as there is location pay also?

delightful-donuts

Quote from: Denzil on 20-09-15, 05:51PM
Why not speak to your pm.
In our store they are practically begging us to reduce our breaks.
I now do a full day with 2 x 30 min breaks and leave 30 min earlier.

I will ask again in the light of what you say, thanks for the 'constructive' suggestion and advice, it is appreciated
When I requested a drop in breaktime or hours worked laat time it was a non starter: apparently they want me 'captive' for the 9 hours!  :thumbdown:

picktocube

Quote from: Loki on 20-09-15, 07:44AM
A break entitlement of an hour and a half that you do not work.
And as I'm sure you're aware, Saintsbury's, Asda & Morrisons staff DO get paid for some ( if not all?) of their breaks! - so take this into account and as I said, Tesco's don't pay the best hourly rate of the 'big four' supermarkets.

When Sainsbury and the other retailers say that they pay breaks,I am sure that it is only for the 2x 15 minute breaks that they have and not for their lunch hour.
Tesco used to pay the breaks years ago ,but changed it from a 39 hour week with 2.5 hours paid breaks,to a 36.5 hour week with unpaid breaks.At the time,most staff were all for the change as it was beneficial for them.

delightful-donuts

That's interesting and I hadnt heard that before
Two x 15 minute paid breaks or one 30 minute paid break would suit me just fine! Perfect . The fact that it's paid is/would be a bonus, I'd be happy  with just 30 minutes, even unpaid if need be.

lucgeo

Actually having given it second thoughts, if you are full time and get a short day/night of an hour andthen gave that up and just did 8hour shifts you would only be 15mins pay worse off a week??
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

delightful-donuts

Well that does sound good to us employees who would prefer only a 30 minute break! Don't think it suits Stresco tho, as I'm pretty certain that if it did, we'd have been doing them hours already?
But I'm certainly going to put in another request for 8 hour shifts  ;) 

notsofunny

Wow what can one say :-X

In fact a lot  :( all this fuss for what amounts to 20 to 40 pence a hour more than what the minimum pay rate is >:(

The Living Wage Foundation's current recommended minimal hourly rate is £7.85, and £9.15 inside London,

Just another head line grabing stunt from a company that will not allow someone to get of the till to have a p**s :o

the-vortex

Quote from: delightful-donuts on 20-09-15, 09:56AM
30 minutes (either paid or unpaid by Tesco) would be adequate enough for me.

Well bully for you DD. Some people relish the opportunity to enjoy a leisurely drink and/or meal, catch up on the papers and chill with colleagues. But if you're not someone who enjoys mixing away from the shopfloor with the people you work with then back to work for you then miseryguts.

Quote from: delightful-donuts on 20-09-15, 09:56AMI do not, never have or never will spend ANY of my  time working for Tesco  UNPAID!

and no-one's asking you to.
Loyalty is a one-way street!

Loki

Quote from: delightful-donuts on 20-09-15, 08:00PM
But I'm certainly going to put in another request for 8 hour shifts

So you will request to work 8 hour shifts instead of your contractual 7.5 hour shifts.

That's extremely accommodating of you and in my opinion certainly warrants some kind of recognition.

gomezz

Could I put in to work a single 27 hour shift Monday evening into Tuesday evening then have the rest of the week off?  ;)
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

lordadmiral

Quote from: delightful-donuts on 20-09-15, 08:00PM
Well that does sound good to us employees who would prefer only a 30 minute break! Don't think it suits Stresco tho, as I'm pretty certain that if it did, we'd have been doing them hours already?
But I'm certainly going to put in another request for 8 hour shifts  ;)

I have a guy at my store who is working 8h shift plus 1h break.

Loki

Quote from: gomezz on 22-09-15, 10:00AM
Could I put in to work a single 27 hour shift Monday evening into Tuesday evening then have the rest of the week off?  ;)

Great. That's all we need -  encouraging a handful of narrow minded numbskulls who already lack understanding regarding the difference between paid hours and unpaid hours.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk