News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:50PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 318
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Equal Pay/Leigh Day /Tom Hewitt/

Started by OpShunned, 22-03-17, 05:49PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JL

It will be a pity when I can't feel the aches and pains of my GA role but seeing Dave getting the shaft would more than compensate this.

Blodwyn

[gmod]It appears you quoted your early post with no additional comment.[/gmod]

Mark calloway

I've got the form to sign. Is it going to be worth it? Can tosco find out who's tried to claim?

forrestgimp

Quote from: nightslave101 on 07-02-18, 07:38PM
I can see this going down like a lead balloon. As someone has said, any barrister worth their salt will likely rip it apart. It's sexist for one.

You have women working alongside men in distribution on the same hourly rate. You have women working alongside men in stores, again on the same hourly rate. How in anyone's world can you award just the women working at stores back pay, what about all the men on the lower rated compared to the men at distribution?

If they can prove the jobs are the same then surely everyone should be due some sort of back pay.

I can see the difference, putting a box of cornflakes onto a cage is the polar opposite if taking it off. also if the claim is successful then yes even the men at stores will get a payout.

Instead of saying 'Oh you wont last a day in a DC' explain to us what the difference between the jobs is because from a laymans point of view they look remarkably similar.

Mark calloway

Is it sort of saying that women who sit on a till should earn the same as someone who loads cages all day?

Blodwyn

Quote from: carlh on 24-07-18, 03:00PM
I've got the form to sign. Is it going to be worth it? Can tosco find out who's tried to claim?

Head office will know as Leigh Day have to contact them with your national insurance number to validate that you do work for Tesco but your store manager is unlikely to know. It really doesn't matter as there are strong victimisation laws in place if they object to your claim. It's on a no win no fee basis so you have nothing to lose.

Mark calloway

How many on here are claiming?

Hammer10

I am and quite a few in my store.

Nomad

It should be remembered that some jobs are physically taxing and some mentally taxing.  Mentally taxing can be just as tiring either through mental effort (in many forms) or even boredom, a boring day can really do ones head in.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

rupert7

Quote from: GreenGrocer on 12-07-18, 09:24PM
It will be a pity when I can't feel the aches and pains of my GA role but seeing Dave getting the shaft would more than compensate this.
(-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-) (-*-)

sfo

Spoke to Leigh Day the other day re the Sunday rip off and asked if there was going to be a class action over Sunday premium. He said it was unlikely as they they lost the last claim over double time to time and a half. He asked if I heard about the Equal pay claim and I said I had but didn't sign up to it as I am male and work in a CFC. He said that my CFC is classed as a store and being male is no impediment to making a claim. I asked how much it would cost. He said it's no win no fee. I said  " so it's a free bet then ?" He said "Yes". I signed up straight away. Then spoke to a mate of mine today whose wife works at ASDA. ASDA staff are represented by UNITE. When a similar claim came up UNITE wrote to all their members urging them to join the claim.
Where are USDAW in all of this?
The reps appear or pretend to know nothing about this legal action.
I strongly advise all colleagues to visit the Leigh Day website and register a claim - it takes minutes and it's free.
Maybe Leigh Day will win or they will lose but it's a free bet.
AND CANCEL YOUR UNION MEMBERSHIP THEY ARE NOT SUPPORTING YOU

M271 BLUES

I have worked 5 years in one of our stores, I year shelf filling on nights and then 4 years in the store warehouse, the last 23 years I have worked in one of our distribution centres. So I feel I can say 100% about this topic. The jobs are totally different in so many ways. I am now in my 50's and am looking at moving back to a store job as I'm now finding the job harder and harder to do in the distribution centre. Also I have had colleagues that have been ill or injured, and been sent to stores to work while they get fitter, I don't see it happening the other way. 

sfo

You're probably right but it's worth a punt

Welshie

@M271Blues
I think you would find stores a completely different place now than 23yrs ago !

roughyedspud

Quote from: M271 BLUES on 24-07-18, 10:26PM
I have worked 5 years in one of our stores, I year shelf filling on nights and then 4 years in the store warehouse, the last 23 years I have worked in one of our distribution centres. So I feel I can say 100% about this topic. The jobs are totally different in so many ways. I am now in my 50's and am looking at moving back to a store job as I'm now finding the job harder and harder to do in the distribution centre. Also I have had colleagues that have been ill or injured, and been sent to stores to work while they get fitter, I don't see it happening the other way.

DC staff pick stock,put it on a cage/dolly,take said cage/dolly to a area to be put on a wagon.

GA staff take the cage/dolly from a area after its been taken off a wagon,take the stock off the said cage/dolly and put it on the shelves...

Am I wrong?

oldfashionedplayer

don't forget GA's extra duties are  - deal with customers, deal with dot com, waste process / PDA reductions, security tagging, moving cages, dollies and pallets off of wagons, filling shelves with that stock, filling backstock, high level, clean as you go, theft incidents, checkouts, customer service, fresh, produce, health & beauty, toys, I dunno about all the things DC's have but we run around like headless chickens all night, with maybe 12-14 people on a full shift to fill sort all of that out between 10pm and 7am....

i dunno all the job stuff that DC staff have, but for the amount we do I think being paid less is unjustified. a lot has changed in the 5+ years I've worked for tosco, a HELL of a lot of changes that have made things much worse, we used to have 3x the number of staff back when this store opened.

alf

I think you're being a tad over generous with your description of "extra duties".

"moving cages" I should stick that on my CV.

JL

Nomad

Equal value has nothing to do with the Physicality (or not) of a job, think about it.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Blodwyn

Quote from: Nomad on 25-07-18, 10:04AM
Equal value has nothing to do with the Physicality (or not) of a job, think about it.

You have hit the nail right on the head! So many colleagues just do not get it.

alf

This assertion is false, physical effort is one of aspects when determining "like work", of course its only one aspect there are many, even effort is broken down in mental effort alongside physical.

Of course the thorny issue is when jobs aren't "like work" but may be of "equal value"

The infamous case of dinner ladies vs binman comes to mind,

Nomad

So many times one hears the phrase from physical workers, "I work harder than you so should get paid more".

Reasoning by that criteria alone means teachers and a few others should be paid peanuts.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

alf

I never said "alone", I even said it's one of many.

But regardless, claiming physical effort has nothing to do with equal value assessments is simply false.

grim up north

Quote from: Nomad on 25-07-18, 10:04AM

A surgeon would have no one to operate on if the porter wasn't there. Do porters deserve the same pay as surgeons?

lucgeo

Well I for one think sanitary cleaners, of every description, should be paid twice as much as they do....they are in the lowest pay bracket, on s*** wages for shovelling s***.

Three colleagues shot out of the customers toilets last week, one after the other, all demanding, between retching and gagging, for a cleaner to be called to "deal with it" off they strutted to share the horror they had just endured, without a second thought of compassion for the poor cleaner going in to "deal with it!!!"  :-X :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk