News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:19PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 283
Total: 284

New structure change.

Started by Vinny1985, 13-01-22, 03:08AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VladPutin

Exactly. The night shift guys in my store who have said they will take redundancy if it's offered are all lifers with more than 20 years in. More importantly, they are only a few years from retirement anyway. A nice pay off would tide them over until the pension kicks in.

Redundancy isn't a gift. It's something you've earned.

VladPutin

Quote from: Lostrebel on 10-02-22, 06:53AM
I honestly don't understand why people wait and hope to be made redundant. Surely in the years waiting and moaning they could have applied themselves to find a job they would enjoy. They all talk like they have a divine right to be paid off which simply doesn't happen in other jobs.

I know jobs are difficult to find but life is too short and I don't believe these people apply for any jobs. The real reason is more likely these are the most useless and negative individuals which would come across in interviews so why would you want to hire them?

You must a manager. No one who actually works for a living would talk such nonsense. :D

Villager No.6

Quote from: lucgeo on 10-02-22, 08:37AM
If they have their break cut short, then they go back and take their WHOLE break again, regardless of how much they'd already taken

@Lucgeo, can you please point to where this is in Policy as until reading your post I had no idea about it. I'm sometimes called away 5 or 10 minutes early from a break to help load/unload a dotcom van then told to complete my break afterwards and a couple of times have been asked by a manager during my lunch hour if they "...can have a quick word with you?" Which turns into a 10 minute work related chat about something they want me to do later/next week.
Thanks in advance.

lucgeo

@Lostrebel
You're really not getting the gist of it here are you?? They didn't sign on 20 odd years ago with a view to moving on...they didn't have at the back of their minds..."I'll hang tight and maybe get redundancy in 20 years".
Redundancy in retail 20 plus years ago was unheard of!! The retail industry employment has eroded slowly, but surely, the ones on the old contracts, maintained those contracts...so they're still in full time employment,  their old contracts protected...and you think, because suddenly five years ago the writing was on the wall, they're going to say...sod this...Sod the 20+k redundancy I'm entitled to...I'm off because I don't want newbie youngsters thinking bad of me or that I'm dreadful for wanting what I'm entitled to!!
Wake, wake and you're back in the room Lostrebel  :-X :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucgeo

Quote from: Villager No.6 on 10-02-22, 06:38PM
Quote from: lucgeo on 10-02-22, 08:37AM
If they have their break cut short, then they go back and take their WHOLE break again, regardless of how much they'd already taken

@Lucgeo, can you please point to where this is in Policy as until reading your post I had no idea about it. I'm sometimes called away 5 or 10 minutes early from a break to help load/unload a dotcom van then told to complete my break afterwards and a couple of times have been asked by a manager during my lunch hour if they "...can have a quick word with you?" Which turns into a 10 minute work related chat about something they want me to do later/next week.
Thanks in advance.

Unless it has been changed in the last 2.5 years it is part of the partnership agreement that you restart your break in full, if requested  to go back to your dept to help out...again only if you're agreeable! Your union rep has this information to hand...if you're not in the union, phone Tesco help desk to clarify. Tesco help desk is a union call...otherwise phone you're USDAW area office.

You NEVER allow a manager to "have a quick word" whilst you are on your break! You are not paid for that break time, therefore you are NOT available until after your break is finished. Just state clearly" I'm on my break!!"

Lostrebel

Quote from: lucgeo on 10-02-22, 07:49PM
@Lostrebel
You're really not getting the gist of it here are you?? They didn't sign on 20 odd years ago with a view to moving on...they didn't have at the back of their minds..."I'll hang tight and maybe get redundancy in 20 years".
Redundancy in retail 20 plus years ago was unheard of!! The retail industry employment has eroded slowly, but surely, the ones on the old contracts, maintained those contracts...so they're still in full time employment,  their old contracts protected...and you think, because suddenly five years ago the writing was on the wall, they're going to say...sod this...Sod the 20+k redundancy I'm entitled to...I'm off because I don't want newbie youngsters thinking bad of me or that I'm dreadful for wanting what I'm entitled to!!
Wake, wake and you're back in the room Lostrebel  :-X :-X

Christ I bet you were great fun to work with. Surely since you've been made redundant your life has improved enough to just move on? If you earned an extra £2 an hour 5 years ago to the present you still would have been better off.

NightAndDay

Not sure how you figure that as for all the time they're not being paid redundancy, they're being paid by Tesco, £2 an hour extra on 36.5 hours a week over 5 years is just shy of £19k which is less than their potential redundancy package.

Lostrebel

Quote from: NightAndDay on 10-02-22, 10:01PM
Not sure how you figure that as for all the time they're not being paid redundancy, they're being paid by Tesco, £2 an hour extra on 36.5 hours a week over 5 years is just shy of £19k which is less than their potential redundancy package.

Well clearly you can adjust the figure to any value you want. I was just showing a minor increase would be worth it. It might be less then their potential package which might not happen and their mental health would improve. Using your logic when does it become viable to commit to a job on the hope of redundancy if you dislike it? 20 years service and 5 years away from retirement?

whatajoke2019

Nomad, it is just myself, or is this turning rapidly into a mud slinging match and veering completely off topic?

NightAndDay

Quote from: Lostrebel on 11-02-22, 06:47AM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 10-02-22, 10:01PM

Well clearly you can adjust the figure to any value you want. I was just showing a minor increase would be worth it. It might be less then their potential package which might not happen and their mental health would improve. Using your logic when does it become viable to commit to a job on the hope of redundancy if you dislike it? 20 years service and 5 years away from retirement?

This is retail we're talking about, for one, £2 extra an hour would be going from one role to the next level up, so generally the equivalent of a ca going to a shift leader role, or shift leader going for a TM role. If the affected choose to forego redundancy, they're likely to move into a similar role at a competitor where the difference at most will be £1 an hour, but mostly less (if they received skills payment at Tesco, then apart from Aldi, everywhere else would pay less, Aldi would only pay about 40p more if that, and widespread reviews say Aldo is little more than a well paying gulag), even those who decide to try for a more senior role, an extra £2 an hour over 5 and a bit years covers their redundancy, but during that time, they'd just as likely get the redundancy at some point from Tesco while getting paid and maintaining their role which they'd be comfortable in.

They'd need a massive transition to make it worthwhile foregoing redundancy, something like what happened to me for instance where I left my £20k odd a year shift leader role to become a government consultant with a starting salary of £60k a year.

penguin

Tesco pays ca far to well, best laugh I have had in ages, I left my ca job 18 months ago and now earn a much better wage in a factory than I ever did at Tesco, takes a bit of nerve to hand in your notice and do something else when you have spent years in retail but better jobs and wages are out there, and for those who wish to stick with retail plenty of places pay ca level far better and no doubt treat staff better than Tesco.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

NightAndDay

My assertion is that in the sphere of low-mid level roles in Retail (heck even some Retail outlets have SMs on starting salaries of £25k a year which works out at around £2 per hour more than a TM) a £2 increase is commensurate with pay ofva more senior level.

If we're comparing like for like, a CA at Tesco on £9.55 an hour jumping ship to forgo redundancy to any of their competitors except for Co-op and Icelands would get at most £1 an hour more (and that's at Aldi where they get their pound if flesh), Tesco pays Sunday premium where the competitors do not, however even with this being the case, it works out as on average, a range between 30-70p more per hour elsewhere, you'd have to wait around 12+ years to see the gains regained from foregoing redundancy and that's if they manage to get a full time position, something which is mythical for non-manager colleagues in this day and age., it's just not a financially good decision.

Nomad

@Nowanexmgr you have considerable disdain for VLH and its members and you very rarely give anybody any useful advice or information regarding their problem(s) so why do you come on VLH ?

You really are a sad person.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

lucgeo

@Nowanexmanager

I'm going to draw a line under this...the majority of VLH members use this site to give positive help if they can, listen to others ideas or get the heads up from other CA's and managers alike of what's in the pipeline. Not all members are positive, not all are very nice,  it's not Disney club!

If a member comes on stating an assault has taken place in her workplace, that member is taken at face value, and advice and support offered. Some are genuinely concerned, as a lot of nasty, illegal and explicit episodes have often been committed by Tesco personnel over the years, by Managers and CA's alike...the one of two managers indulging in a sexual act, whilst on duty and in full view of young children who filmed them, springs to mind :-X

If Terri was a genuine poster or a sad person making it up, is irrelevant. There are many incidents reported daily of such type throughout all workplace's. However if "Terri" was genuine, and took any advice given, which I presume would have been to report it, either to the senior manager of Personnel or the police, then that complaint would have become live and ongoing, and any comments on it would be barred.
If her complaint was upheld, then in all probability she would have been offered some sort of gagging deal. It is a course of action I have known happen a few times over the years, where Tesco has reached an agreement and settlement with the colleague, who agrees not to divulge the outcome!

Nowanexmgr

[admin]Nowanexmanager quote "I was, and still am, a bloody good manager.". in which case you have absolutely no need for VLH, and are of no use to it especially when it comes to helping others. [/admin]

Nomad

As this topic is so far off course it will be locked.

A new topic on structure change can be started, however it will be closely monitored by mod/admin team.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk