News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 12:48PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Career break

Started by Barnacle Bill 4870, 04-05-18, 06:48AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barnacle Bill 4870

A member of staff has decided to take a career break. My boss, however, has processed their P45. Is this correct procedure?

terra

Yes to all intents and purposes they are treated as a leaver it just gives them a back door to return and they will return to the same conditions as they left on. They don't have to return and Tesco don't have to re-employ them.

captain

Career break, yes
Lifestyle break, no

lucgeo

@terra

Only on a lifestyle break does one return to the same job, terms and conditions.

A career break is that you are effectively a leaver, at the end, if you wish to return, they will only offer you a position if one available, on core hours available and a flexi contract.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

penguin

Yes as the person has left the company effective from the date the break starts.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

tumshie

Many people may want to take a break from work at some point, and a Career Break is a way of allowing you to take an unpaid break from work for 3 months to 5 years.  The benefit of taking a Career Break is that when you return to Tesco your two periods of service will be added together and many of your benefits will be reinstated as if you've not had a break in service. https://www.ourtesco.com/working-at-tesco/people-policies/time-work/career-break/  There's further info about it on ourtesco, at that link.

tumshie

Here is some info about a Lifestyle Break - more available on ourtesco.

QuoteA Lifestyle Break is a way of allowing you to take an unpaid break from work of between four to 12 weeks.

A Lifestyle Break will not impact your continuous service. However, as a Lifestyle Break is an unpaid period of leave, it may impact some of your benefits (please discuss these with your Personnel Manager). At the end of the Lifestyle Break you will return to exactly the same job on the same terms and conditions as when you left, provided that you return on the agreed date.

https://www.ourtesco.com/working-at-tesco/people-policies/time-work/lifestyle-break/

tumshie

So the length of break - less than 12 weeks, or over 12 weeks - determines whether it is a Lifestyle Break or a Career Break.

Barnacle Bill 4870

2 years on and now I am considering taking a career break to try a new career. I had a chat with my boss today about it and they said I can't try a new job whilst on a career break.

Is this a new thing?

I only ask as in my original post about an old employee he had his P45 therefore it gives the impression Tesco know you are trying out a new job.

dairyfresh

Don't think they do career breaks now only lifestyle breaks

Welshie

Lifestyle breaks only now , up to 1 year.  You are not meant to work as you still earn holidays and  are covered by death in service .

Milkfiller

Career breaks don’t exist anymore. It’s just up to 12 months as a lifestyle break.

NightAndDay

Unless you're at least at established SM level or above, you wouldn't be working at Tesco if your life is going so great, bar very few exceptional circumstances that I can think of, nobody can afford to take a career break unpaid.

Also, part times often have second jobs elsewhere, I'd imagine the rule about not working elsewhere would only apply to full timers on career break.

Mark_20

I took lifestyle  break for 12 weeks ,after 8 weeks I got p45 from hmrc I don’t why ?
Even my manager didn’t sent me any letter after taking my career break .i asked him he told me he already sent it about my career break .Then he said he will sent me through WhatsApp .lastyear  he had fallout with one my colleague ,I supported my colleague in front of area manager .I think he is having grudge against him .what I have to do next.?
Mark

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: Mark_20 on 25-07-20, 03:25AM
I took career break for 12 weeks I received my p45 from hmrc I don’t why ?
Even my manager didn’t sent me any letter after taking my career break .i asked him he told me he already sent it about my career break .Then he said he will sent me through WhatsApp .last he had fallout with one my colleague ,I supported my colleague in front of area manager .I think he is having grudge against him .what I have to do next.?

a career break is effectively leaving the company / resigning, your not entitled to your position when you return, however a lifestyle you'll be in the same or similar role when you come back.

Redshoes

Quote from: NightAndDay on 22-07-20, 11:26PM
Unless you're at least at established SM level or above, you wouldn't be working at Tesco if your life is going so great, bar very few exceptional circumstances that I can think of, nobody can afford to take a career break unpaid.

Also, part times often have second jobs elsewhere, I'd imagine the rule about not working elsewhere would only apply to full timers on career break.

Peoples circumstances are different. I have known two CA take a lifestyle break during COVID and have known of a team support to take 3 months off to travel. One of the during COVID ones is still off.
There are people who work who just don't want to live on pension, some who are not old enough to draw pension but well set up for when they can, some who just want to work. I have worked with ex-nurses, ex-teachers, ex-police etc. A very long list of people who have had a previous career that just want to be active and earn money to pay for holidays etc. We have a wide variety of people within our stores, never underestimate the people you work with. I have done this for nearly 30 years, I drifted into it and stayed. That was my choice. I just like it, I am never bored and I work with some great people and I have huge respect for them and find the different backgrounds very interesting.

lucgeo

Quote from: Mark_20 on 25-07-20, 03:25AM
I took lifestyle  break for 12 weeks ,after 8 weeks I got p45 from hmrc I don’t why ?
Even my manager didn’t sent me any letter after taking my career break .i asked him he told me he already sent it about my career break .Then he said he will sent me through WhatsApp .lastyear  he had fallout with one my colleague ,I supported my colleague in front of area manager .I think he is having grudge against him .what I have to do next.?

I seem to recall receiving a P45 when I took a lifestyle break a couple of years ago? I think it's automatically generated, as you have not been included on the payroll during that time.
When you requested the break, it would have gone through the PP's dept for authorisation. If it is not in your personnel file, Email the PP for a copy of the authorisation letter, which will have the leave and return dates included.
They would have contacted you after the first shift day as being AWOL, if they didn't know you had taken a lifestyle break.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Welshie

I am currently 4months into a 6 month lifestyle break and I have not received my p45 , I wonder if you have been processed wrongly .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk