News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:20AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 276
Total: 280

Jack's

Started by londoner83, 13-09-18, 10:09PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmberWolf

Just think on this a minute. Jack's states the goods they are selling are 80% British sourced. I'm not sure on Aldi and Lidl but I hazard a guess at 10% British sourced. Brexit is coming. If it's a hard Brexit the borders to Europe would close, seriously limiting goods import/export. What can Aldi/Lidl sell of its supply line is severely restricted ? Jack's would then be in an extremely strong position to go from a trickle of shops to a rapid expansion.
I don't like a lot of what tosco does but this one actually makes sense.

aiden

61% of food in lidl is UK sourced according to their website. I'd imagine aldis % is similar so not such a massive difference.

Nomad

Be wary of the word 'sourced' it could very simply mean purchased from a wholesaler who imported it from somewhere in the world.

There was the case of the "fruit and veg sourced from local farm." sign, a farm which also happened to have a thriving import/export arm of its business   8-)

Sourced does NOT mean grown or reared, although it could be.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Totot

Last time i was talking about jack's financial statement, will it be within tesco financial statement or separated. Even not 100% i got more news that it will be separated. So if it is, this is my take.

Judging from what dave did, mostly to polished financial  statement to make it looks good, no actual good business strategy so far. In the beginning he earn his name from big loss mostly from asset depreciation, and ofcuz the next year even do nothing, the loss will be less because its already been done.

All the cutting cost mostly in structural way, cut more benefit and payment for staff, decrease the increase of wages, same thing, just cut the cost regardless the business essentials are. Same things to make financial statement looks good, not even that to be honest just to make lost/profit tab looks good.

I notice those shops who converted not really perform well. unless I have financial data of those metros, i wouldn't know for sure, but  i really think they are burden to tesco's financial statement. Asset value, rent or owned it might be more burden in the future because of reckless decision in the past. Cutting negative contributor on financial statement will make next year tesco financial statement look better ofcourse.
Better financial statement, better salary and bonus, better image for his portfolio.

I dont buy even a little from beginning it is all about challenging aldi and lidl, doesnt make sense and not a good scenario without explaining the logic.

Duracell

Quote from: forrestgimp on 19-09-18, 06:00PM
Quote from: Duracell on 15-09-18, 02:11PM
*maybe boring for some warning*

Speculative thinking.

So in the links above AMS sourcing have phased out the Euro Shopper Brand in other countries.
Given the E U situation, will a Brand Called Euro Shopper be damaged or even able to survive what ever EU trade deal is struck?

If AMS sourcing have to rebrand Euro Shopper in the uk, is it possible that now T has an indirect connection to AMS sourcing that brand maybe J's ?

The "J's brand" Then finds itself on every corner shop in the country without the operational costs of those shops being open.

Actual Brand Focus rather than Store format or Shopping experience.

Example if T ended up with 1p in every pound taken by a rebranded (Euro Shopper) logo with hardly any cost, how much would that be worth?

To do that Tesco would need to be manufacturers not just retailers, as it stands manufacturers make products and stick whatever label is needed on it. So what possible monetary benefit would a different retailer get from buying Jacks cheap stuff as opposed to tesco sainsburys or any other supermarkets own brand. Also where does the money for Tesco come from they are not producing anything to sell to the other supermarkets.

If you owned a small shop why would you go to the cash and carry and buy other supermarkets own branded products? If you were a chain that dealt with manufacturers direct why would you pay to have a competitors branded product for your own shelves? I also know from experience that Tesco and all the other major supermarkets are very precious about the recipes for their own brand products and would not take kindly to a third party manufacturer producing products for a competitor regardless of size using their trademarked recipes...

So we get back to Tesco now going into manufacturing to produce all of these wonderful Jacks branded products just to sell to other supermarkets, Not going to happen is it.

Why do they have to be a manufacturer, Booker aren't, they are part of a sourcing group that source the best products quality for value from manufacturers to label as their Brand, "using scale for good" ( ring any bells).

As for what monetary benefit would other retailers get from buying J's, the same as they get now from buying Euro Shopper. Where does the money come from for T as they are not Producing anything, Much like now the Only thing T produce at Present is Store made Pizza and Bread the rest is sourced from suppliers who do the manufacturing. No difference.

If you owned a small shop you wouldn't be buying another's supermarkets branded products, as T won't be selling J lines and a couple of stores isn't exactly established is it,  furthermore of sorts they are already, EuroSopper brand supplied through Booker is now inherently Part of T,s wider arm so cornershops all over the country are getting a brand on the shelf with links to T that have gone through T,s Distribution Network, it's happening already!  but the key thing is it could be a brand with a limited lifespan because of what transpires with the EU exit deal, a replacement brand is likely required.     J,s 🇬🇧 Ticks quite a few boxes as a replacement brand.

Yes Go back to Manufacturing, so surely if they are unable to do it to supply Booker they will be unable to for themselves.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

There is some amount of CEOs here.

Duracell

CEO,s  ! Where. 👀?
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

southernsofty

A question .....
       My store is changing from Tesco to Jack's. After my last pay day at Tesco, if I get a job at Jack's, who pays me whilst the store is refitted, 8-12 weeks.....

Classy Bird

I'd say it would be Jack's as the Tesco would have ceased trading from those premises.

It's all probably getting dealt with by the same payroll people, just with the money coming from a different pot.

They should make it clear in your consultations what will happen.
I'm sure I've seen Jack's staff are on a higher hourly rate than T staff £9 an hour which is a big increase on £8.18

Nomad

https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/tesco-sell-jacks-food-stores-16239009

QuoteJust months after launching the cut-price Jack's stores to compete with the likes of Lidl and Aldi, Tesco is now selling Jack's products in its own stores.

Perhaps Sainsbury's can sell ASDA products in their stores and vice versa.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

StoreManager

Quote from: Classy Bird on 10-11-18, 08:03PM
I'd say it would be Jack's as the Tesco would have ceased trading from those premises.

It's all probably getting dealt with by the same payroll people, just with the money coming from a different pot.

I'm sure I've seen Jack's staff are on a higher hourly rate than T staff £9 an hour which is a big increase on £8.18

So dont fill Jacks products unless they agree to paying you a higher rate.

NightAndDay

Quote from: southernsofty on 10-11-18, 06:18PM
A question .....
       My store is changing from Tesco to Jack's. After my last pay day at Tesco, if I get a job at Jack's, who pays me whilst the store is refitted, 8-12 weeks.....
The contract during the refitting will still be with Tesco. Until you sign a contract with Jacks, Tesco will still have to pay you as they are bound by the terms of the contract.

Hammer10

Quote from: Overworked1 on 08-05-19, 10:50AM
Quote from: Classy Bird on 10-11-18, 08:03PM

So dont fill Jacks products unless they agree to paying you a higher rate.
so does that mean I don't fill Cadbury's products unless they pay me their rate etc etc.

just curious

Quote from: Nomad on 08-05-19, 10:31AM
https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/tesco-sell-jacks-food-stores-16239009

QuoteJust months after launching the cut-price Jack's stores to compete with the likes of Lidl and Aldi, Tesco is now selling Jack's products in its own stores.

Perhaps Sainsbury's can sell ASDA products in their stores and vice versa.

Been in a Tosco  " Extra "  today they had this " Jacks " stuff on sale at front of shop and on three mods full inside the shop , could it be that there sales are slow and the products are not moving / could potentially go out of date in the warehouse - DC so there trying  to gain extra sales from Tosco ? , for heavens sake why would  " Jacks "  have food colouring under the " Jacks "  branding for example ( and other items that are not every day essentials ) ? , food colouring and chick peas etc are not a fast moving items under any name / logo wether it is sold by the " Jacks " or Tosco brand name ? , Signs of desperation ?  :-X :-X

alf

Unlikely, this jack's in Tesco is nationwide at the minute, and with there only being like 9 jack's nationwide, jack's wouldn't have so much stock in the depo's for themselves only.

I reckon it's more a trial of replacing Tesco basic/value stuff, or could just be tesco trying to advertise/establish the jack's name.

penguin

Jacks items are currently being promoted in a Tesco's apart from express stores, as part of the great value launch running alongside the latest  100 years of value event.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

NightAndDay

An answer and a question here.

The point of Jacks was to combat Lidl and Aldi's increasing market share, while Tesco is technically in the same market as Lidl and Aldi in terms of their service, the way they operate is very different, Jacks supposedly operates in the same way as Lidl and Aldi (wider aisles, when it's gone it's gone items, Small Metro sized store with Express level staffing and discounters items, less emphasis on branded). DL is also trying to capitalize on Brexit by having a "patriotic" theme in stores, even though Jacks is technically in competition with Tesco, in principal the stores will be different enough and appeal to different demographics as so that Jacks won't cannibalise Tescos market share too much. As for Jacks products being displayed on promotion in Tesco, occasionally we've had to sell One Stop mispicks on the shop floor lol.

Now for my question. 

Being that there are no Jacks down south, and having never been in one, I've notice the T.E Stockwell branded products in my local Tesco Metro, is this a Jacks branded item?

madness

It is not the aisle size or stack em high ethos that aldi and lidl trump tesco at. It's the endless meetings and wow comments and f****ng service service service s*** that is getting rammed down the throats of the staff. They don't do any of that.

StoreManager

If the Team Managers filled a few shelves and didn't spend so much time asking you to do the impossible and taking daft pictures/leaving comment on facebook maybe some work would get finished. Our store is just endless team fills because none of the managers can be arsed getting enough staff or helping out. Then you have the day staff who say they have complete a delivery for the night crew and they've actually f***ed everything on top shelves and on back-stock cages. Flagship stores! ;D

Scruff

Quote from: NightAndDay on 09-05-19, 02:05PM
An answer and a question here.

The point of Jacks was to combat Lidl and Aldi's increasing market share, while Tesco is technically in the same market as Lidl and Aldi in terms of their service, the way they operate is very different, Jacks supposedly operates in the same way as Lidl and Aldi (wider aisles, when it's gone it's gone items, Small Metro sized store with Express level staffing and discounters items, less emphasis on branded). DL is also trying to capitalize on Brexit by having a "patriotic" theme in stores, even though Jacks is technically in competition with Tesco, in principal the stores will be different enough and appeal to different demographics as so that Jacks won't cannibalise Tescos market share too much. As for Jacks products being displayed on promotion in Tesco, occasionally we've had to sell One Stop mispicks on the shop floor lol.

Now for my question. 

Being that there are no Jacks down south, and having never been in one, I've notice the T.E Stockwell branded products in my local Tesco Metro, is this a Jacks branded item?

T.E stockwell is the new "Tesco Value"

So how is Jack's actually doing, does anybody know?

Nomad

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/03/what-happened-to-tescos-jacks/

QuoteAldi and Lidl's rapid growth prompted Tesco to launch its own discount fascia, Jack's, in 2018 to claw back lost customers. But when Tesco closed the first Jack’s store in Rawtenstall last year, it raised questions. Retail Gazette discovers where Tesco is currently going with its new discount chain.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

King1999

So now they are price matching Aldi which they should have done years ago,seems to be an even more pointless exercise.

penguin

We matched Aldi and Lidl back in 2008, was a massive launch called discount brands at Tesco, whole isles and promotion ends were full of the so called discount brands and was a massive marketing effort around it, then after a few months it all seemed to just get dropped and forgot about.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Totot

It would never worked in a long run,probably in a short time. Tesco and the big4 business system are different than aldi or lidl, while tesco policing goods's traffic ( eg hey  coke can go out for now for 2 weeks at £1 then next 2 weeks,pepsi  you may go now and coke, stay here at £1.6 )

While aldi or lidl business system just simple price of goods, all the cost, profit margin set tweak with price of sell to get target quantity in certain time or time target for certain quantity, very simple and can be so dynamic and flexible and not mention cost cheaper operationally.

And some other strategy that in tesco or other big4 seems just the opposite.

Tesco and other big 4 should never measure competitiveness by annually report, but base of area and market changes whenever a competitor enter that certain area, but i guess the mentality of the higher manager seems like as long as they get the big chunks now, they dont care the future of the business, they just jump over like locus plague.

Nomad

Jack's 'discount Tesco' supermarket could be opening in Hull

QuoteA vacant Mothercare store in  Kingston Retail Park could be turned into Hull's first Jack's if plans are approved.

Plans submitted to Hull City Council  proposed converting the vacant shop, in Unit Four of the retail park, into a budget food and homeware store.

Councillors are set to examine an application to change cladding on the outside of the unit and to alter security fittings at its doors.

Though Jack's was a failure ?
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk