News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:17PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,124
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Sell by/Best before

Started by Nomad, 15-03-10, 09:55AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

As staff become rare these stories may  get more prevalent, I will post links and quotes in this topic.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/742236/Ancient-milk-makes-horrified-mums-pal-sick.html

QuoteA HORRIFIED mum bought long life milk from Tesco that was more than a YEAR out of date

The thought nearly made me throw up  :(
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Nomad

TESCO BABY MILK SICKNESS STORM
Cartons three months past 'best-before' date

http://www.people.co.uk/news/tm_headline=tesco-baby-milk-sickness-storm%26method=full%26objectid=22109516%26siteid=93463-name_page.html

QuoteTiny Michael West was violently ill after drinking Tesco baby milk - which was three months past its best-before date.

Quoteshe found a whole shelf stacked with old baby milk - including one carton that was more than 12 months past its best.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

POA Billy

Surely in this day and age the sell buy date could be incorporated into the bar code to flag up problems at the till.

gomezz

That is not as easy as it sounds as the barcode is included on the pre-printed packaging for most products.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Shana

Fresh pasta dated 22nd Dec 2010 found on shelf on the 10th Jan 2011.

certacito

I think the record in my store was something in the region of 4 YEARS out of date.

adspackman

I suppose if there's one benefit to not having staff to keep the shelves filled through the day, it's slightly better stock rotation.

gomezz

Not sure if that is necessarily true.  Might even be worse if the older cages are buried in the back behind newer deliveries waiting to be worked.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

seenitall

Quote from: gomezz on 18-01-11, 11:06AM
That is not as easy as it sounds as the barcode is included on the pre-printed packaging for most products.

It is technically possible to change the barcode to include an expiry date (especially for Tesco own brand) but would be a big change to the tills and probably also the depot systems (would need to be printed on the cases also). 

The barcode would need to be longer (look a bit like the Reduced to Clear ones) and/or be printed as a "stacked" barcode (sometimes seen on fruit and veg).  The standards are already there to support this, just waiting for the likes of Tesco to decide that it's a good idea.

loser38

I've given up on checking dates now as i cant cope with doing the full section on my own,the others who work it say they dont have time to check dates and/or rotate(or have more important things to do?)...one example is ..at christmas i tell senior manager,line manager and two team leaders that the stock we are holding for two items wont sell through before the best before date...i then nag them every week up until two weeks ago when the stock is finally down to a few days to go....i go back to work after 4 days off and find that its all lying on shelves out of date...so i remove it,inform senior and line manager along with 1 team leader.....go back to work next night and someone has put all the stock that i took off back on the shelf....

so,i kick up a stink telling manager that he needs to get something done about it,that was last monday,up until yesterday,the stock is still on the shelf for sale!

hardly surprising staff dont bother with these issues when management have no interest in it

loser38

should also add,the stock is only 7 days out of date so far

SAY_IT_SOFTLY

http://www.cieh.org/about-us/about3.aspx?id=36

http://www.food.gov.uk/aboutus/contactus/

These would seem to be the most relevant organisations to complain to if SMs/DMs don't take the issue seriously?
With enough complaints they would investigate the store themselves

lichfieldnight

went into mickleover store and there was not one but a whole tray of malteasers out of date by over 2 weeks yuk

woody505

choclate is fine for ages

Jaycloth

Just as well, my store is still trying to flog Easter eggs.  8-) I'm reminded of the time, before sell by and use by dates existed. We relied on our senses, smell and sight, and our common sense, to establish went food wasn't fit to eat.

Rasta Man

we have only been open for a short while and our date rotation is atrocious.
the night team  (-*-) don't have to date check its left to the day staff who then get the blame.
is this normal tesco practice or just our bad management? >:( >:D

gingerccc

checking behind our shelves the other week we found some dog food out of date from 1994 it wasnt on sale but it shows just how bad the 'housekeeping' is now i lay down the challenge for anyone to beat that!

roguesith

Re-Rasta Man: Our night team only rotate on Fresh areas due to short code life on products, if our grocery team on nights had to rotate everything they put on the shop would never get filled, there is simply too much volume of stock for them to get through. There should be a grocery ga, or 2, in the day who follows a 'rotation planner' which ensures all grocery is date checked/rotated and any upcomeing dates for ooc are logged in a diary for the next 6 months so that they can be reduced. This process 'should' ensure products aren't on shelves out of date without requiring our night teams to rotate anyway.

The Mrs

eric79

Quote from: loser38 on 12-03-11, 04:26PM
I've given up on checking dates now as i cant cope with doing the full section on my own,the others who work it say they dont have time to check dates and/or rotate(or have more important things to do?)...one example is ..at christmas i tell senior manager,line manager and two team leaders that the stock we are holding for two items wont sell through before the best before date...i then nag them every week up until two weeks ago when the stock is finally down to a few days to go....i go back to work after 4 days off and find that its all lying on shelves out of date...so i remove it,inform senior and line manager along with 1 team leader.....go back to work next night and someone has put all the stock that i took off back on the shelf....

so,i kick up a stink telling manager that he needs to get something done about it,that was last monday,up until yesterday,the stock is still on the shelf for sale!

hardly surprising staff dont bother with these issues when management have no interest in it

Was this on a fresh food area? If so why wasn't it picked up by j14?

This business of not having time to do x, y and z is very frustrating. For example the phrase "we've worked all backstock and delivery 100%" is a common phrase used by the night team in my store on fresh. If that was genuinely the case why do I find so much stock off my gapscan on the backstock cages? Would much rather they left a cage or 2 of delivery and handed over that the backstock and the rest of delivery was worked fully and ensured the rotation was spot on!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Trollied

If stock is 'fine after the sell by date' then why have 'a sell by' on there at all ?????  :P

Storck

To give people time to eat it after they have bought it.

If I remember correctly everything with a sell by date on it has a use by or eat by date on it.

Ford Torino

I once found something NINE YEARS out of date! To be honest, it wasn't on the shelf, it was on top of a fridge. But that then begs the question how often these things get cleaned?

goodgirlgonebad

just gets worse by the minute.

You go into the store... products are not available.  You go to the checkout, there are no staff to serve you, you check your receipt and you've been overcharged.

Finally, when you get home to unpack.. you notice all your food is out of date... lol...

Need i say more ???

bloodhound

Right you 'orrible lot!
My next door neighbour has given me 4 slabs of beer as a payment for fixing her washing machine!
Trouble is, the 'sell by' date is august 2011!!

Question!
Can I drink it?
Safely?
Without having to buy copious amounts of Loo roll and blagging days off work with 'S&D'?

Over to you! :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk