Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20-09-18, 07:57PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 80586
  • Total Topics: 1688
  • Online Today: 155
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Bullying at work  (Read 4092 times)

Samantha

• VLH Supporter
Bullying at work
« on: 08-01-18, 10:47PM »
Hello to all,
I am going through emotional stress due to a member of staff who is really nasty to me. To cut the long story short, this individual says am useless and waste of space, she even comes to work whilst not on the rota and there is no overtime available. She comes to wherever am working and says am not working properly, regardless how much effort I put in.She laughs at me and make all source of comments ( the comments that she makes are too sensitive)

The unfortunate thing on my part is that I need this job, I work nights due to child care,

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: Bullying at work
« Reply #1 on: 08-01-18, 11:18PM »
Most important thing first is;Do not let it get to you  and be constructive.

KEEP A DIARY
with precise times (be exact)
precise places (be exact)
what was said or done (be exact) NO embellishments.
and who else was there (be exact)
and how it makes you feel at the time.

do this for a few weeks or maybe longer if you can stand it. AND DO NOT HINT TO ANYBODY THAT YOU ARE DOING THIS.

Also;

have you told her how these comments make you feel?

Have you told anybody else how she makes you feel?

Have you informed a manager?

I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Samantha

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 08-01-18, 11:30PM »
I have not told the manager because she is her friend so I don't think she will believe me because she acts differently in her presents

However I told someone who works same shifts with me and she believed.

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 08-01-18, 11:34PM »
How long have you worked for tesco?
« Last Edit: 08-01-18, 11:35PM by optout »

Samantha

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 08-01-18, 11:40PM »
I have worked with Tesco for 8 years and she has worked with Tesco for 7 months

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 09-01-18, 12:13AM »
what i would do is wait till out of work and have a "quiet word in her ear" somewhere where theres no witnesses, or you could mention it to the store manager!

Samantha

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #6 on: 09-01-18, 12:18AM »
@lackofinterest,
Thanks for your reply.

LiveMyLife

« Reply #7 on: 09-01-18, 01:00AM »
If she comes in on her day off then she sounds lonely.... personally I wouldn't put up with her c**p and just tell it to her straight, she's a sad lonely women who literally comes in on her days off because she has nothing better to do with her time... sad.

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 09-01-18, 01:06AM »
I think the first step would be to let her know how hurtful her comments are. It may be better to do this whilst somebody else (an ally of yours) 'happens' to be present, but not in a confrontational way, in a polite way. for example; after she has made a comment. reply. "Do you understand how hurtfull your comments are to me". She may just be ignorant. Then, if it continues carry on with Plan A (the diary). :thumbup:

Samantha

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #9 on: 09-01-18, 07:23AM »
@sad muppet, thanks very much for your reply, I will try to do this.

GasMonkey

• Regular Pain
« Reply #10 on: 09-01-18, 07:57AM »
Hello to all,
I am going through emotional stress due to a member of staff who is really nasty to me. To cut the long story short, this individual says am useless and waste of space, she even comes to work whilst not on the rota and there is no overtime available. She comes to wherever am working and says am not working properly, regardless how much effort I put in.She laughs at me and make all source of comments ( the comments that she makes are too sensitive)

The unfortunate thing on my part is that I need this job, I work nights due to child care,

Is there a reason why she picks on you.? Or is she doing this to other members of staff as well. You said she comes in even when she is not on schedule and no overtime available as you stated you work night she must be a sad person to come to work in the middle of the night. IMO your first course of action is report her even if she is friends with the manager. If you get no joy there take it to personal department. And after you have done that a quite word outside work followed by a smack in the mouth. She sounds like a potential (Want to be) over all don’t let her win this battle stand your ground.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #11 on: 09-01-18, 08:40AM »
Get someone impartial (preferably a manager) to sit in a informal meeting with both of you. Be open and honest with how she makes you feel and how you would like things to be between you in the future. Keep calm and listen to what they say in reply. Unless they are very thick skinned I expect she will be shocked by how they are making you feel.

At the very least they  will come out of the meeting knowing how unhappy they are making you which should make them amend their ways.

If that doesn't work and things continue at least you can show you have made every attempt to resolve things yourself before starting formal action. If you then go that way having a diary will strengthen your case.

Call me

• Regular Pain
« Reply #12 on: 09-01-18, 09:15AM »
Please put in a grievance , the same happened to me , the union was brilliant . And we shifted this nasty worthless manager on to another store . Tell them you enjoy your job but you shouldn't have to put up with this woman's comments .

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #13 on: 09-01-18, 09:23AM »
Whilst moving the bully has resolved your issue they are probably now just bullying a new group of colleagues.

Bullying colleagues need to be managed out not just moved elsewhere.

bootsdaroff

• Regular Pain
« Reply #14 on: 09-01-18, 10:50AM »
Samantha I feel for you but be strong. Take the good advice from the other members. If you feel you cant speak to your line manager go straight to the Store Manager. Don’t go to Personell they will just pass it on. You’ve been there for 8 years you’ll be a much valued member of staff than this ignorant new start. Good Luck.

Weed

• Smart Arse
« Reply #15 on: 09-01-18, 11:29AM »
bootsdaroff

"valued" at Tesco the managers don't know where to start

bootsdaroff

• Regular Pain
« Reply #16 on: 09-01-18, 07:30PM »
True true but hopefully her store manager is decent  (-*-)

Tornado

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #17 on: 09-01-18, 09:29PM »
 :thumbup: I think the same as store managers I have already seen please give me some break  :( !

chris9997

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #18 on: 17-01-18, 03:26PM »
Surely aside from the bullying by this staff member her mate the manager is breaking company policy by allowing a member of public to access the night operation as she should not be at work or on overtime or on company business she is Joanne public.

the rule book

• Know All
« Reply #19 on: 22-01-18, 11:08AM »
Mobile phone. Record her remarks using the phone. I've seen it done and its incredibly effective leave it in your top pocket and let it record.

Amazing the effect evidence has on people.