News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:39PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,118
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 318
Total: 321

Usdaw v Unite

Started by Loki, 25-11-15, 08:28AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loki

With the recent news regarding Unite balloting its members on industrial action at two Tesco depots, are there any DC members who have had experience of both Usdaw and Unite?

What are, if any, the main differences between the two and the agreements in place?

Is one more effective than the other?
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

OpShunned

I'm speculating that both aspects are due to the removal/non-removal of teeth and testicles :question:

Usdaw appear be missing both body parts and rendered more than willing to sign the agreements placed in front of them by their 'Partner' :question:

Unite appear to have a set of both anatomic components and therefore able to bite back with some testosterone loaded resistance  8-)

captain

There never has and, in my opinion, never will be a strike in retail so that excludes most of us fighting to get any sort of pay rise or better conditions.

Tesco, in general offer better conditions than most retailers, most out in retail land only offer 20 days holiday (plus 8 bank holidays) and less hourly pay.

Would this have been achieved if usdaw had not been involved?

Woody44

Hi just wondered dose anyone happen to know if reps can second each other in the ballot thanks

[gmod]Sorry, but your in the wrong topic.[/gmod]

blutopia

I doubt there will be any more pay rises until minimum wage/living wage legislation overtakes the CA rate and forces it.  Watch out then for further erosion of benefits and a squeeze on differential rates between CAs, TLs and managers.

seenitall

Quote from: captain on 25-11-15, 11:00PM
There never has and, in my opinion, never will be a strike in retail so that excludes most of us fighting to get any sort of pay rise or better conditions.

Historically not true.  There has been a strike in retail over pay. conditions and working practices, in 1920 at none other than John Lewis (Oxford Street), prior to John Lewis being restructured as an employee owned business.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lewis_Partnership

Kingkong2015

Shame in our depot Belfast that a rep isn't on shift for a full week so why are members paying for representation they aren't getting? >:(

FatFraz

unions are a waste of time

londoner83

Unions are only as weak as their members allow them to be. The strongest unions represent largely full time workforces who are prepared to make a stand over issues.

Some one working 15 hours a week stacking shelfs is highly unlikely to ever go out on strike (even if the option was available).

Thatcher also successfully ended the notion of working as a group to focus just on your self.

Robbo1874

What are the 2 depots being balloted for industrial action?

Equalizer87

More to the point, why would a Union sign away the capability to strike?

If a Union is willing to do this, then they cannot say they are working in the Interest of its members.

And this is not just between USDAW  and Tesco, this appears to be with all retail companies.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

bootsdaroff

Quote from: londoner83 on 04-01-18, 05:13PM
Unions are only as weak as their members allow them to be. The strongest unions represent largely full time workforces who are prepared to make a stand over issues.

Some one working 15 hours a week stacking shelfs is highly unlikely to ever go out on strike (even if the option was available).

Thatcher also successfully ended the notion of working as a group to focus just on your self.
I do not buy into this only as strong as the members are. The folk who run the unions are hopeless. If every paying member went to the hierarchy and said we are going on strike they would do nothing and try and calm everybody down. When we lost our night shift we saw an Area union Officer once and they never even came and spoke to anyone. They sat in the canteen drinking tea from 6 to 7am and we were told about 6.30 that someone was there. When people wanted to go and speak to said person for advice they couldn't wait to go and Tesco management wanted people to make sure their aisles were finished. Unions are finished fact

badbot

Kingkong2015 if you feel like that why do you not leave your union or is it you only rubbish your rep  but if you need them you go crawling your a joke

Robbo1874

6 depots have rejected their wage offer 3 times now so Usdaw should be entering into consultative ballot with the members of the 6 depots. So it's not just Unite that has a fire in its belly

optout

@Bootdaroff
"The folk who run the unions are hopeless. If every paying member went to the hierarchy and said we are going on strike they would do nothing and try and calm everybody down."Absolutely agree :thumbup:
They are paid 'leadership' money, to 'lead'. They should be responding on behalf of their membership when they (the usdaw hierarchy) are aware of wrongdoing or unfairness, NOT just waiting for their members to tell them things are wrong. They should be empowering their members with a proactive approach.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

anfield

Why would usdaw react to any Tesco changes? Tesco collects usdaw dues , allows the induction for joining the union as an integral part of a colleagues first day in Tesco . It just doesn't benefit usdaw to rock the boat . The national forum is the same , informed of changes but no real power to influence or reject anything . Without a membership willing to make sacrifices the change of union becomes irrelevant . With so many on part time wages , the strength or will to lose money out of there paychecks is limited .

Slave64

I contacted the union for advice regarding my manager changing my hours without notice. Was told I was being unreasonable!! I have worked for the company for over 30 years then tuped to another company. Union was useless, I'm no longer a member. Would not listen to what I needed to say. I ended the call in tears. useless union, uninformed and unwilling to listen or help, resign I urge you all. Not worth paying for ..

Kingkong2015

[admin]Off topic.[/admin]

Kingkong2015

Unite is an alright union just a pity the reps aren’t around to represent its members , you’d almost think they where all given paid leave to make sure the union members aren’t being represented in the first place!

notsofunny

Quote from: Ulsterboy on 25-11-18, 07:36PM
Why would usdaw react to any Tesco changes? Tesco collects usdaw dues , allows the induction for joining the union as an integral part of a colleagues first day in Tesco . It just doesn't benefit usdaw to rock the boat . The national forum is the same , informed of changes but no real power to influence or reject anything . Without a membership willing to make sacrifices the change of union becomes irrelevant . With so many on part time wages , the strength or will to lose money out of there paychecks is limited .

Most have never wanted to take action of any type when the need came and it does take the workers to sacrifice something to gain something , but as we have seen so many times , Tesco go after one group then later the other , which leads many to think along the lines that I am ok Jack  :( since it does not effect them , and when the time come when it does effect them its to late since no one will be willing to help them  :(

trigger

well see this year pay negs 10 percent or get f
BRING ON THE WELSH HA HA HA.GRAND SLAM 2008.
VOTE UKIP.

trigger

unite let us down last time because they have to pay there members 80 quid a day on strike fking useless
VOTE UKIP.

trigger

loki mate i remeber you go on the irish
VOTE UKIP.

trigger

crabbit were are you mate lol
VOTE UKIP.

Pir8

I am a Unite the Union member, I work in a DC. Personally I do not believe that Unite are any better than any other union really. The strength of the union is in the members. Voted in stewards are the backbone of your site union. If they are poorly trained, in management's pocket or just wanted the job as an easy get out to work then any members will have serious issues. Moral of this post is don't just have any worker as a steward you need stewards who will fight, are actually interested in getting the best for everyone, not just themselves.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk