News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:00PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Grandparent leave

Started by lucgeo, 15-07-16, 02:00PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucgeo

Does this still remain an option??

I took a week unpaid a few years back, now need to apply again, asked my rep for the details as to the maximum allowed and she's never heard of it??

There used to be pamphlets on the notice board, but these seem to have gone AWOL ???Nothing mentioned in the parental leave on the policies for people website either ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Princess2016

As long as you give enough notice, they shouldn't deny you unpaid leave. It's up to them to find suitable cover for your shifts while you are off.

Expressdude2016

Quote from: lucgeo on 15-07-16, 02:00PM
Does this still remain an option??

I took a week unpaid a few years back, now need to apply again, asked my rep for the details as to the maximum allowed and she's never heard of it??

There used to be pamphlets on the notice board, but these seem to have gone AWOL ???Nothing mentioned in the parental leave on the policies for people website either ???

Can't ever remember of this being the case. I remember Asda began offering it an Tesco said at the time there were no plans to introduce it. I may have missed this however.

terra

Apply for a lifestyle break..this is from 4 to 12 weeks and your terms and conditions remain the same

Duracell

Not sure the last post is entirely correct. When my wife extended her maternity leave with a lifestyle break, she couldn't get back doing the same role, she had extreme difficulty getting acknowledgement of a return date.
Admittedly it was some time ago and she is rather to easy going and doesn't push for anything work related, which is why she gave up and walked away from them.

From what we saw I wouldn't enter into a lifestyle break without serious consideration, as what what my wife saw it could end what you have become used to.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Expressdude2016

Duracell  the post is correct a lifestyle break is up to 12 weeks  2 of which can be paid and its same job and hours you go back to nothing changes.You can take a lifestyle break once every 2 years but need to have been green performer and good absence for previous 2 years tho if its for a personal nature then that rules relaxed.

its actually the maternity leave that's caused your wifes issue. They don't have to keep same role open for a person as long as they have same contracted hours. Many people believe there entitled to exact same role however this is not the case.

picktocube

I took a lifestyle break a few years back and when getting confirmation that you can have the break ,the return to work date should also be agreed and in writing .
All the official information clearly states that you return to same job,hours etc. Nothing changes.

lucgeo

Still not getting any answers from heirachy as to authenticity of the previous leaflets stating grandparent leave an option.

I will phone Tesco support tomorrow to ask?? Much to the annoyance of my reps AO who threw a wobbler last week when another colleague phoned Tesco support for advice, as fed up with AO not returning his call. They clarified the situation immediately, gave correct advice, then AO sated  that Tesco support is for reps to phone ONLY, not for USDAW members??? ??? I kid you not :D  :D

optout

this is the incompetence that we are dealing with  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Expressdude2016

Quote from: lucgeo on 18-07-16, 06:15PM
Still not getting any answers from heirachy as to authenticity of the previous leaflets stating grandparent leave an option.

I will phone Tesco support tomorrow to ask?? Much to the annoyance of my reps AO who threw a wobbler last week when another colleague phoned Tesco support for advice, as fed up with AO not returning his call. They clarified the situation immediately, gave correct advice, then AO sated  that Tesco support is for reps to phone ONLY, not for USDAW members??? ??? I kid you not :D  :D

hi lucgeo   we do not offer this leave and have never done so. It may have been a USDAW leaflet you had saw but it was not a Tesco Leaflet. I did check the other day as it puzzled me that I had missed this before.

Duracell

Quote from: Duracell on 18-07-16, 05:36PM
Not sure the last post is entirely correct. When my wife extended her maternity leave with a lifestyle break, she couldn't get back doing the same role, she had extreme difficulty getting acknowledgement of a return date.
Admittedly it was some time ago and she is rather to easy going and doesn't push for anything work related, which is why she gave up and walked away from them.

From what we saw I wouldn't enter into a lifestyle break without serious consideration, as what what my wife saw it could end what you have become used to.

I stand corrected, my wife took a career break which is totally different, your only right is to retain employment how and when you return is at the company's discretion.
The problems she faced was nothing to do with maternity leave.

Having said that I still wouldn't trust them in getting your return right in either instance.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

lucgeo

Many thanks Expressdude 2016

As I say I had a week unpaid a few years ago under grandparent leave? I just asked PM. I am now confused as to where the info has gone, as it was a union rep, at that time, who told me I could apply for it  ???

Curiouser and couriouser  ??? ???

Expressdude2016

Well hope u get the time off :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk