Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23-10-17, 03:32AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 71814
  • Total Topics: 1564
  • Online Today: 99
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 65
Total: 68

Author Topic: What is the single biggest gripe about your job?  (Read 17277 times)

bootsdaroff

• Regular Pain
Re: What is the single biggest gripe about your job?
« Reply #125 on: 23-07-17, 01:38PM »
My biggest gripe about my job is that I don't have one anymore through no fault of my own. >:(

ABC2180

« Reply #126 on: 09-08-17, 10:52PM »
Potentialling on stock control; searching through the mod, pulling out products on tomorrow's date, someone asks 'how much is that going down', as if you know, which pressures you to scan in and check when you're still looking for more dates - just have some patience!

disillusioned

« Reply #127 on: 12-08-17, 03:48AM »
My biggest gripe is having to spend 3/4 + hours of my shift on checkouts and then being questioned by managers/options people about why I havent completed my own duties.
Also constantly being patronised by managers and told to think positive when ive just been given 3 shifts worth of work to do in the space of 7.5 hours and still have to answer red calls, which go out in our store every 5/10 mins.
Also being lectured if I miss a red call but am then lectured again if I spend too much time on checkouts, and lectured about taking too long to answer a red call but lectured also if I leave unattended cages, kickstools etc (even if they are tidy and safe) to answer red calls.
Also managers who are continuously rude, ignorant, arrogant all year and then suddenly are butt kissingly nice when wmty comes around  ;D
Also staff who stand around chatting all day whilst their colleagues run around multiskilling with sweat running down their backs and then when the chatting staff are being made redundant they expect sympathy even though there selfish refusal to do more than 1 hour of actual work per shift means there colleagues have to work even harder

Openandhonest

• Know All
« Reply #128 on: 12-08-17, 07:18AM »
Company claims to be on its knees yet pays billions to for Booker and overpays staff. How many line managers are doing CA tasks all of the day/night. 

kaled78

• Know All
« Reply #129 on: 12-08-17, 08:13AM »
being told how to do the job ive been doing for 20 years,by someone who's never even done the job before,but thinks they know best

BrownEyedGirl

« Reply #130 on: 12-08-17, 09:35AM »
You could be working in my store disillusioned, its exactly the same where I work. Im sick of it.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #131 on: 12-08-17, 09:45AM »
Shelf ready packaging - another excuse to cut hours and f*** over the staff.
As described by The hooch, this is also yet another example of hours being taken away yet the change gradually reverts to the way things originally were but the hours stay cut, leaving the staff under greater pressure and being blamed for things under 'poor performance'.

There are countless examples of this, I remember hours being cut because they moved printers to the end of the till and said you didn't have to give the customer their receipt anymore they could get it themselves if they wanted it, the printers have stayed there but now we have to give customers the receipt and explain 'brand guarantee' but haven't been given the time to do so.

My store had lost hours because of shelf ready packaging, then the SM decided that most items should be single facing only so they could bring more lines in. Lunacy at it's finest.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Batmanjo

« Reply #132 on: 13-08-17, 12:25AM »
You could be working in my store disillusioned, its exactly the same where I work. Im sick of it.

Anyone had a staff search of their vehicle yet ?? as I believe Tesco think they can search your vehicle legitimately now that is disillusion at it's finest.............

weebee

« Reply #133 on: 13-08-17, 12:55AM »
Are you reading this Drastic

The overwhelming gripe is MANAGERS!!!!!!

So what are you going to do with it.

All you have done is remove the only layer of management that spent time on the shop floor working and encouraging staff (team leaders) and hit full and part time staff.

Our store has exactly the same amount of managers it had 3 years ago

Unfortunately t/l were getting kicked out before  DD arrived

The hooch

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #134 on: 13-08-17, 01:14AM »
My biggest gripe about my job is that I don't have one anymore through no fault of my own. >:(
I would gladly swap with you but I suppose my time will come ...good luck!!

Hammer10

• Know All
« Reply #135 on: 13-08-17, 02:26AM »
Managers that do not manage but act like glorified g a,s.

Twinkeltoes1

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #136 on: 13-08-17, 10:52AM »

Anyone had a staff search of their vehicle yet ?? as I believe Tesco think they can search your vehicle legitimately now that is disillusion at it's finest.............
As long as the car is parked on tesco property it can be searched, but like personal searches the vehicle cannot be touched, you should be asked to open the boot or the hood and any doors and any cubby hole within the car.  Caught a contractor one Christmad with 50 odd tins of chocolates.

terra

• Know All
« Reply #137 on: 13-08-17, 11:29AM »
Caught someone once with a boot full of Unilever products bought with fake coupons

The hooch

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #138 on: 13-08-17, 01:23PM »
Having to unlock security cases to put high value in after checkout staff lock them  after product has been sold.
Massive time waster.

FunkSoulBrother

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #139 on: 14-08-17, 11:21AM »
hey,
i only drive tesco .com for a year now, but went real quick. definitely had worse jobs in my life, though it's difficult to compare, as i always worked construction/manufacturing or warehouse jobs, never in driving and customer service before. so yeah, let's start with the plus sides of the job (relatively plus, of course, i mean, a job is no blessing really, is it?! no other chance, bruv/sis!) 

on the plus:
- i thought the induction was relatively thorough, compared to other jobs where they just throw you in the deep end
- i definitely liked our group of drivers i started with, we had a good laugh and there was a sense of 'we have to stick together'; people from all-over, but that did do no harm
- management seemed respectful and the whole 'tesco family' vibe (getting uniform, canteen card, online access, promotion stuff etc.) had its charm
- joined the union (was with Unite in previous job), the reps seemed decent
- love the staff store, that's a real plus and i know that many tesco workers don't have that bonus
- driving can be cool, new parts of town to see, proper weird customers to meet (i mean, honestly, some people are characters!)

on the minus:
- after two weeks or so i lost touch with most of the drivers i started with, all on different shifts (we have 600 or so drivers!); some just disappear! we had a whatsapp group, but that somehow fell apart; you meet the same faces in the canteen, but there is def a lack of social space/meetings to just hang out and get to know people
- the union could provide that, but they are not present on the shop-floor much; can't blame the reps, as i don't know how much time and leeway they have to do s***
- the pay is def too low, even with the staff store compensation; i got a lot of minus hours, too - perhaps i should keep track of things better, but man, they surely cut a lot of pay
- management is friendly, but then it seems they have to follow some strange rules; i was always hyper-punctual, never absent etc. and then got ill once and had to go to that bulls*** 3% absence trigger meeting; made me real p**sed off and caused me to thing, well, f*** you then
- work load varies loads, some days are pretty relaxed, but increasingly you struggle, in particular in town centre; if you'd do it all by the rule (van check, good parking manners, only carrying healthy weight of shopping, take a breathing break to calm down etc.) you will run late (by now I take my time, but at the beginning you want to do good, don't you)

i would say pay is the big one and i was surprised that there was no ballot on the last pay deal with the cuts to sunday/overtime bonus. that normal with USDAW? in other places i always had a say, at least on paper! the reaction of many colleagues is to vote with their feet and get better paid jobs - but that won't work in the long run. you can't run and hide forever. i don't know the whole set-up good enough to propose an alternative. starting-point would be regular meetings of drivers/warehouse staff to talk about stuff and develop a sense of solidarity, but even that might seem to radical?!
the harder they come...