Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23-10-17, 03:30AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 71814
  • Total Topics: 1564
  • Online Today: 99
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 63
Total: 67

Author Topic: Walkout  (Read 9273 times)

Andi

• VLH Supporter
Re: Walkout
« Reply #25 on: 07-09-16, 07:36AM »
Our only option is to get rid of our useless no good for nothing union but how do we go about doing it? I heard that a store near me the guys on nighrshift cancelled their membership after finding out about loosing premiums and ive cancelled mine. If we all did that would that not help? But then we still need to officially give usdaw the boot.

Dustbins

« Reply #26 on: 07-09-16, 07:40AM »
My apologies Nomad, we had our meeting and I will admit to some over emotional texting.
Today's were before I read your note.
Won't happen again.

Administrator Comment Thank you. I fully understand everyone's feelings at this time. Nomad

Daftpunk

« Reply #27 on: 07-09-16, 07:58AM »
All that useless daw will do is get the Tesco pm's too sign up the new starters too the union. So it is win win for them. Their not a union they a business

Sackboy

« Reply #28 on: 07-09-16, 08:08AM »
Could we not get the majority of staff to leave usdaw and join unite if this happens and we could get over 50% of staff to do so couldn't they bargain for recognition and as usdaw membership dwindles there would be no point in them having the collective bargaining agreement bye bye usdaw

Red Rock

• Regular Pain
  • Together We Achieve More
« Reply #29 on: 07-09-16, 10:00AM »

A Walkout?

Really!  Not going to happen!  There are those that, walk the walk and those that, talk the talk; but when it comes to the crunch, those that sit in the canteen bumping their gums about walking out or working to rule will be no where to be seen, except in store working.  We work to earn a living and pay our bills.  Have never heard of any retail walk out achieving their aim, unless someone can educate me to the contrary?
So keep it real!
Did Mandate not ballot their members in Ireland to go out on strike due to them losing certain premiums? I believe the strike was called off at the last minute as Tosco decided to enter talks with union.

So there wasn't a walk out? 

TBooze

« Reply #30 on: 07-09-16, 11:04AM »
Global Moderator Comment Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).

So it worked! No one likes to walk out and lose money, but if the threat and determination is there, you will be surprised how things can be achieved.

I come from the postal service, and when the Union was strong (until 98ish) things worked out well, because Royal Mail took us serious and the membership knew the Union was on the side of the workers, thus they had confidence and would do what was required of them to get a result.

Wearethehearts

« Reply #31 on: 08-09-16, 11:46AM »
The best way forward is using tesco policies and procedures against them , 1 base schedule is worked out on the quietest week , then overtime given on top to cover holidays and dept uplift on this base , so if people just said no to overtime , no to being flexible ( as long as not on a flexi contract ) , no to working Sunday's and no to working bank holidays , the buisness would fall over , every meeting demand a rep ,  if there is a note taker demand one , this slows down every action and takes hours of the shop floor ,demand extra meetings throughout the consultation period , during your working day , as is your right , make the pm and sm come in early or stay on late , making it effect them too, any policy breaches put in writing and formally complain , don't accept being brushed off , follow it through , involve the union , every time , do not accept any h&s breaches , write a letter , phone the protector line if it doesn't get sorted,  tesco are happy using policies etc to their advantage , it's quite easy to tie them up in it also

Wearethehearts

« Reply #32 on: 08-09-16, 11:52AM »
Last point , we will soon be getting our Xmas working arrangement meetings , say no to extra shifts , say no to working the bank holidays , work your contracted hours only , the sm will soon get the message back from dept managers , they can't cover the shifts

Hammer10

• Know All
« Reply #33 on: 08-09-16, 12:29PM »
Already booked it off after double time fiasco.

Aeroquack

« Reply #34 on: 08-09-16, 11:41PM »
Again that would come down to being able to prove a member of staff being deliberately slow. I have had this before myself when they throw the "30 minute a cage" tosh at you. It would all be circumstance at best, not saying Tesco managers wouldn't  try for that.
30 min a cage. Look at the delivery label on the cage and see how long it took to make up. It takes a lot longer to unpack everything and put it on the shelf.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #35 on: 09-09-16, 12:55AM »
That's exactly my point, I have won this argument with managers before about the labels showing how long it took to pack the cage. How is it possible to work a cage onto shelves if it took longer to stack it. It simply doesn't.
Hence why virtually all Tesco timescales are rubbish.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

picktocube

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #36 on: 09-09-16, 12:44PM »
You do know that the time on the destination label is for the whole assignment to be picked ,which would be 3 cages if silver ,or 5 if slimline.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #37 on: 09-09-16, 12:50PM »
Okay, so divide that by the number of cages, in the example I used on a manager it was two cages in the assignment. This gave a time of 24 minutes per cage, both cages having in the area of 110 items a cage. Tell me how these cages get worked in 30 minutes, when it took 24 minutes to put each together??? ( rough estimation)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

picktocube

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #38 on: 09-09-16, 12:57PM »
The times on the assignment labels aren't necessarily for the whole of that assignment as well . You could have one picker picking half of it ,then another picker can complete the job and have new labels printed with a new time on it just to pick the remainder of the assignment . The times on the labels are not always relevent to what is in the cages at first glance.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #39 on: 09-09-16, 01:11PM »
Then it shouldn't be advertised on in store labels as it would be totally irrelevant. However it does create the situation where the the '30 minute rule' is questioned due to it appearing to suggest the pack time of a cage. Aside from the break down of a cage in store,  the added customer service, clean ups, travel times to and from aisles, till calls, item volume on certain cages are not filtered into the "fill time", hence why the '30 min rule' is invalid.

outofsight

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #40 on: 10-09-16, 07:57PM »
I know of a tesco and sainsbury where the night team refused to work due to the s.m.
And grievances not being heard no one was sacked and written warnings only issued to the ringleaders.
All this talk of walking out it wouldn't happen,

Jasperjakes

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #41 on: 10-09-16, 08:45PM »
Many tesco workers are scared to make a valid grievance in the work place, or stand up for their rights.
So i dont think people would be willing to walk out. Cant see this ever happening.

FunkSoulBrother

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #42 on: 12-08-17, 10:34PM »
"walkout? will never happen..." - the recent strike in Ireland was def a minority affair, but hey, shows it's possible...
http://labornotes.org/2017/08/irish-retail-workers-strike-secure-hours
the harder they come...

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #43 on: 15-08-17, 09:21PM »
@AeroQuack
@Equalizer87
@PickToCube

There is no "30 minute rule in stores for working cages".
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #44 on: 15-08-17, 10:50PM »
@ optout

Obviously there isn't such a rule, I was merely highlighting the lengths Tesco management go to to try and press staff harder and harder. If anything this is only more proof of the desperation the company as stooped too.

Since I had challenged this at the time for the manager to present the capability study that showed such a process was capable. The result was a spreadsheet that had obviously been put together in a 10 minute rush in a desperate bid to crack the whip. No Tesco endorsement anywhere on the paper, I asked to see the supposed email it came from. After being refused that luxury, I told the relevant managers where to shove it.

Anyone in a clear mind would know you cannot be expected to preform Replenishment of a single cage in 30 minutes, without the myriad factors of a supermarket getting in the way.

« Last Edit: 15-08-17, 10:53PM by Equalizer87 »

Openandhonest

• Know All
« Reply #45 on: 15-08-17, 11:43PM »
The only thing that will walk out of Tesco is stock as they chose not to pay a security guard.

Wearethehearts

« Reply #46 on: 23-08-17, 07:39PM »
September holiday reviews are  coming, remember to refuse any Sundays, Dec 24th included, any overtime and don't move your hours to help the business during the Xmas period, only way to hurt those that have hurt us in the pocket.