Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 10:01AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 430
Total: 433

Sunday premium down to time and a quarter.

Started by Undercover1, 26-05-18, 12:21PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teddybonkers

Soupyc123 - Have you worked any overtime? Unfortunately, the calculation takes into account any overtime you may have worked, and assumes you will continue to work that overtime going forward.

soupyc123

I've refused over time, for the most part of the last 2 years, mainly the past year due to realizing how poorly we as staff are treated. I've stayed on Saturday no more than 2hrs, but i haven't done any significant overtime that would make a difference. Also, I think that him working a Monday and Sunday was being said by some people. I understand he will lose out more is correct, but the point is I still lose out and just because i don't work a Monday, i also lose out on the payment? I find it truly unbelievable that is going to be their justification as to why, there are only 4-6 Monday bank holidays a year, I am losing out because of a max 6 days. There's 52 Sundays in the year, the logic behind this baffles me. 50/60 members of staff all handed out a stupid book, getting a talk and being told if you lose out you will potentially be compensated, receiving books in the post saying the exact same thing. No mention of a Monday anywhere until now. I lose out, fellow colleagues lose out, we've been lied to all year. I had one foot out the door already, planned to leave at the end of August. This has just pushed me out the door, my notice is being handed in as soon as possible, simply not worth it. 

Equalizer87

@ soupyc123

I'm very sure you won't be the last to leave over this debacle. Though it astonishes me how this has been known for about a year and staff are only now furious with it. Why not the anger from Day 1??
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Preacherpauly

Quote from: Equalizer87 on 21-07-18, 06:09PM
@ soupyc123

I'm very sure you won't be the last to leave over this debacle. Though it astonishes me how this has been known for about a year and staff are only now furious with it. Why not the anger from Day 1??

Did staff know they weren't getting a pay off from day 1? If not then i can see why they didn't kick up a fuss.

cosmosmallpiece

I did read the leaflet they gave out and nowhere on there said I would be short in my wage for 5 months, just that if by Nov 2018 my wage was lower I would have a payment in July. To me that's not being open honest and transparent like Dave said he would be. Angry yes bloody flaming

mexicopete

Dave Lewis open, honest and transparent. :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D..have look at him when he makes video to chat to us...he can't even make eye contact with the camera..he's a complete tw*t.
The worlds me lobster

soupyc123

We were all led to believe that any loss in pay and you would receive the payment. I understand that people will lose out during the 5 months, as will I, but I lose out even after the 5 months is done, when the pay goes up to 8.42(?), I still lose money due to the bulk of my hours being on a Sunday.  So I cannot wrap my head around why I am getting absolutely nothing lol.  Like I said 50/60 staff at our store, were all briefed and told they would get compensated.  Every Sunday worker in my store believed they were losing money, now obviously this is not the case due to the figures that Tesco used to work out, as people believed it was a loss from the original 7.62 or the 8.02. Having read here I now know that is not the case, however this does not affect me, it might affect everyone else, but I will still lose out regardless of if they have used, 7.62, 8.02 or the most recent 8.18, even if others wages break even come November.

Used

It's very unfair 97% receiving a pay rise while the 3% who sacrificed  their Sundays and bank holidays  not   :thumbdown:

his scots tie

Quote from: Preacherpauly on 21-07-18, 06:24PM
@ soupyc123

Did staff know they weren't getting a pay off from day 1? If not then i can see why they didn't kick up a fuss.
Was of the understanding your transition payment was the amount you are losing monthly in july,after 16p per hour pay rise and cut in premiums.In my case 18x £45.Not to get it because im earning £1 per month more in nov 18 than nov 17 is outrageous,morally wrong,unfair and underhand deal.

forrestgimp

@ soupyc123

Simple. People didnt understand or didnt believe it. My co-worker was convinced he was getting a payout regardless of how many times I went through it with him, It was only when he realised he wasn't once the letter deadline had been and gone that he got angry.

T.C.1

It's going to be a long five pay dates seeing the pay decrease come to light !! How can the national pay forum say it was the best deal when it must have been apparent that these five months was going to lose colleagues money!! I do feel genuinely let down and for the first time in my working life give up my union membership!!!

claden

Quote from: his scots tie on 21-07-18, 08:53PM
Quote from: Preacherpauly on 21-07-18, 06:24PM
@ soupyc123

Was of the understanding your transition payment was the amount you are losing monthly in july,after 16p per hour pay rise and cut in premiums.In my case 18x £45.Not to get it because im earning £1 per month more in nov 18 than nov 17 is outrageous,morally wrong,unfair and underhand deal.
This was me as well still find it hard to believe how underhanded they've been.

Pedroximenez

I agree that the 'pay deal' is confusing, murky call it want you will. I would guess that when we were first given the leaflet detailing the two year deal that Sunday workers assumed that a 'one off payment' would come their way in the same way as it did when double time was reduced to time and a half, in other words a decent lump sum. This paydeal is not transparent and by its very makeup, using £ then % then £ for the three rises it is conveniently confusing to the masses. Regarding the 'cushion payments' If you didn't receive a letter then at least you will in Nov (on paper) be better off than before the pay deal began. Colleagues in the 3% boat will have received varying 'cushion payments' to bring up to from minus figures to where they were ( on paper)  before the pay deal ( no pay increase) I'm still shocked and stunned by how this has been allowed to happen in this way .

forrestgimp

Quote from: T.C.1 on 22-07-18, 06:24AM
It's going to be a long five pay dates seeing the pay decrease come to light !! How can the national pay forum say it was the best deal when it must have been apparent that these five months was going to lose colleagues money!! I do feel genuinely let down and for the first time in my working life give up my union membership!!!

That is a huge question one that would be best suited to asking the Union.

So I have, I will update you on the answer.

Loki

When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

Hammer10

Everyone needs to leave the union .

Loki

Well, I think if this pay deal sets the precedent for the next one and beyond, there's a good chance they may.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

JL

Quote from: T.C.1 on 22-07-18, 06:24AM

:o it is only the first time in your working life.

T.C.1

Yep Greengrocer it's the final straw to hood wink members by the sham of a 10% pay rise resulting in these 5 months of losing money which hard press colleagues can ill afford the question is have you got any confidence for the next pay round!! Tesco will be rubbing there hands!!!

tescopleb

We would like to have been better off not negotiating at at all since they are statutorily bound to give us the payrise anyway. It may have been later rather than sooner but hey we wouldn't be in this mess.

Mark calloway

I'm sure usdaw are french,they surrender at the earliest opportunity.  :P

Totot

I think tesco did try to make it looks murky, with hope that we gonna get cushion payment.
But base on their own calculation, sure they will know in the beginning who will gonna have pay cut and what is our financial projection within few years.

At least they can wrote to us that our pay will be impacted, down to £.xxxx for certain amount of time, but they dont,
They deliberately try to deceive us from the beginning and not brave enough to write us a letter of our financial projection.

Knowing this will happen again in the future, and another premium loss, another cut, another mini payrise that claim huge compare to 10 years ago, really dont get it why people still with union.
Might be cheaper to pay some of that fat cat rather than the staff.

hot_chick

Well i have told my manager i won't be doing any overtime or working bank holidays!!
The whole thing stinks i will be cancelling my usdaw membership. I would ha e done it sooner but i was waiting to see how this all pans out but there is nothing we can do.
I also wont be spending any money shopping in tesco not that i do much anyway as other shops are cheaper!!

Has anyone done what matters to you yet?

JL

Done the WMTY based on full year opposed to last few weeks when managers have actually been supporting the team, not wasting time and had the place well staffed. It can be done. Not interested in them putting on a show for 5 mins when the managers have been cocks, wages are hardly rising and the store has been a mess for the best part of the year. It'll be interesting to see the new format stores run on just an sm and a assistant manager in immingham etc. Stores as big as your largest extra too. 

barafear

I think we now have a consensus on here that the method of calculation for the possible cushion payment was underhand/disingenuous/unfair. There also seems to be much angst as to how Usdaw agreed to this. Here's my take on things.
I am not, and have never been part of Usdaw. For as long as I can remember (being at Tesco), I've been of the understanding that we're in a collective agreement – i.e. these negotiations take place each year (more or less) and a decision is made. This is slightly different to what I've known in other employees. Effectively, what might have happened (under a different type of agreement/arrangement)  is "Tesco make an offer, Usdaw consider it, and then it is put to members to vote on it – and then it's either accepted/rejected".
I see a couple of issues with the second – what is seemingly the better scenario:
1)   This particular pay offer only adversely affected people who "regularly" work Sundays/BHs. Although this is more than the 3% that Tesco say are due cushion payments, it would still be a minority – so unless there was some sort of sympathetic vote from "non affected colleagues" towards their "Sunday colleagues", there would still be a majority who would potentially be voting in favour of the paydeal.
2)   The complexity of the deal might have made it very difficult for most colleagues (no offence intended) to understand.

Moving on – if we did have that type of arrangement, and we did all reject a particular pay deal – what happens next? The only option is industrial action – either refusing to work overtime or refusing to work at all – i.e. strike action. How would that affect Tesco.
Well it would only be union members who had a right to strike. What's the % of employees in the union? I know it will vary from store to store – so there is a small possibility there might be some localised impact.
Basically what I am trying to say is that in this day and age, employees have very little power if pushing for a higher pay rise or better terms and conditions. Especially in the case of what Tesco may refer to as "unskilled roles" – in terms of an unskilled role, length of service is relatively irrelevant – let's face it – new starters get about 30 mins training (if they're lucky) – so the job can't be that hard can it?
So, the threat of strike action is always going to be a very blunt tool with which to "rebel".
Ultimately, whatever Tesco offer us we have to be grateful for. So long as they are paying the NLW they have no further obligation. As many have said on this thread, if you don't like it – you know what you can do!!
Maybe try and get a job in "Jacks" – anyone read the Mail on Sunday yesterday? Is there a link on here about that story? New Tesco discount store – rumoured to be paying £9 an hour .....wonder if there are any Sunday premiums? I bet not!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk