Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:59PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,119
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 320
Total: 323

Tesco worker sacked for leaving till to chase shoplifter killed himself

Started by Adywebb, 12-08-19, 09:53PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobless

This company must have one of the highest suicide rates. When you Google Tesco Worker suicide you get a number of these articles. Then there is the ones which never hit the press. I worked alongside a guy who done same. :(

lucgeo

How sad :'( yet they insist that there is no bullying culture amongst managers in Tesco. This just emphasis the trend of Tesco, and the decline in the new breed of managers, who seem to relish the power they yield over the GA's, some senior teams are smug as they blatantly disregard any procedures,  especially since there is no store based Personnel Manager, to keep them in check anymore.
Previously, any GA with a problem, could speak to the P.M. or just by having one instore, the grapevine would soon bring it to their attention, and no PM could risk their position by ignoring breaches in policies T&C's or legalities. I must say ours wasn't very good, but just having him instore, proved a deterrent at times, when he HAD to act, the managers were reigned in. How many GA's know how to contact their area P.M. now?
Years ago, any ex Tesco employee or manager, were readily employed by others, as Tesco personnel were considered to be a good bet, due to the quality of training they received. Managers were respected for their work ethics. Now the majority are just a bunch of money grabbing, work shy bullies and a bloody embarrassment  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Mr Grumpy

Such a sad case for the gentleman and his family.

This is a clear case of support from all sides was required, work family and medical.  Could the company of supported him more? In all probability yes they could have done, in tandem with other help as he was known to have mental health issues.

All the managers involved will live with this on their conscience for the rest of their lives, and only they will know if truly this gentleman was sacked in proper procedural guidelines, and if he could have been given a chance on appeal and wasn't a case of not wanting to overrule a SM's sacking.

Hopefully some lessons will be learnt from this, and the big T's approach to mental health improves across the business.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Mr Grumpy on 13-08-19, 08:39AM

This is a clear case of support from all sides was required, work family and medical.  Could the company of supported him more? In all probability yes they could have done, in tandem with other help as he was known to have mental health issues.

All the managers involved will live with this on their conscience for the rest of their lives, and only they will know if truly this gentleman was sacked in proper procedural guidelines, and if he could of been given a chance on appeal and wasn't a case of not wanting to overrule a SM's sacking.

Hopefully some lessons will be learnt from this, and the big T's approach to mental health improves across the business.

I think Tesco needs to implement a professional promotion mechanism, as it is at the moment, If an SM likes you, you'll get promoted regardless of actual people skills, work ethic and ability. Too many managers without an adequate education and intelligence to do the job properly unfortunately.

lucgeo

my previous post omitted the second paragraph for some reason...that being...

The SM didn't have to go down the dismissal path, it could have been handled more sensitively from the off. The fact the colleague was moved to two other stores, shows a degree of support, whether it was at his request or Tesco's is unclear, but the need to move stores would suggest an ongoing situation, as with the non show of shifts. My personal feeling would have been occupational health making the decision on health grounds, when ALL avenues were exhausted.

lucgeo

Quote from: NightAndDay on 13-08-19, 09:03AM
Quote from: Mr Grumpy on 13-08-19, 08:39AM

All the managers involved will live with this on their conscience for the rest of their lives, and only they will know if truly this gentleman was sacked in proper procedural guidelines, and if he could of been given a chance on appeal and wasn't a case of not wanting to overrule a SM's sacking.

I think Tesco needs to implement a professional promotion mechanism, as it is at the moment, If an SM likes you, you'll get promoted regardless of actual people skills, work ethic and ability. Too many managers without an adequate education and intelligence to do the job properly unfortunately.

Agree 100% with that, our SM surrounds herself with wannabes and cherry picked managers, who are either mates, mates of mates, family of mates, or easily manipulated. She posses no educational qualifications, constantly misspelling the simplest of words, but hey, no worries she got the job through the nepotism system, drives a big posh car, and just received a disgusting bonus, on the backs of the understaffed GA's  :-X

Jobless

If you're the SMs next door neighbour you will do well while better people are overlooked or shot down.

optout

Maybe time for a panorama special on how not to manage (from a manager/or senior team perspective) at the suicide capital of retail.
I am sure any, would be, manager who is extremely flexible on their app form would be successful.
Any reporters out there interested? :question:
Also:

People out there must know the name of the managers involved, surely they should be named and shamed in the press, give them a taste of their own medicine. There should at least be calls for resignations from the public. It is obvious that tesco isn't taking this seriously, otherwise they would have already voluntarily let colleagues know about the issue, and that they (tesco) were going to do something to prevent it happening again. >:( fulkin  >:(

Who had the 'A' for this. The big T is all about 'A' isn't it? Management, bullying.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

optout

Oh and by the way,
The 'good' managers are just as responsible for this, you have just continued to look the other way, and allowed this culture to flourish, 'JUST AS RESPONSIBLE'. A big thumbs up  :thumbup: to you guys, you really do deserve it.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Red75

One thing that I think has contributed to this is 'management by numbers'. Arbitrary targets on absence are putting people under pressure when they are not well enough to do. The article I read said that the guy was present during an armed robbery and understandably took several shifts off due to stress. Of course Tesco started disciplinary proceedings against him for failing to meet absence targets. A bit more compassion Tesco? People make mistakes. My sympathy to the family and friends of this man who simply made a mistake in leaving his till.

NightAndDay

I think the government should impose a seperate minimum wage for factors such as location and risk at work, armed robberies happen too often at Tesco for them to be paying 21p above NLW. A minimum of £15 an hour would be more appropriate.

lordadmiral

"Oh hello i see you stealing some stuff, let me suck your d*** while you do it".
Turning victims into perpetrators. Its British culture and its getting worse.....

alf

Frankly everyone here is making assumptions, the man may have been a model employee he might have been awful with this event being the last straw.

Without that context how on earth can anyone determine whether the dismissal was fair.

Either or, wishing death is scummy, but you do you.

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk