News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:10PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,117
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Dropping shift

Started by Nikkih4586, 30-08-19, 05:34PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkih4586

I want to drop another shift at work Monday night in to Tuesday morning... I've just done the Sunday in to Monday  I finish that on the 8th but nights just do not suit me, I'm keeping my Friday in to Saturday and Saturday in to Sun ... I have another job in the week the just suits my home and family life better  ... so question is how easy it what can I do to drop the other shift I'm worried their going to say I can not, help please.

HereWeGoAgain

I would like to drop a day, not change shifts just drop a day due to family commitments, can they stop me?

beentheredoneit

Yes. All permanent amendments should go through SM
beentheredoneit

RubyRed

There is no obligation to let you drop a shift. It will depend on if it suits the store, is there someone that could pick the shift up. Good luck

forrestgimp

Sunday is the only day tesco have no choice but to let you opt out of, other days are at their discretion.

Welshie

Nikkih4586 , how long have you been doing the job ?? You've just dropped one night and want to drop another night ? You obviously got a job with a 4 night contract 30hrs, many people would love that, set hours knowing their shifts, not trying to get overtime.  If you've done it for years and your circumstances have changed then why did you not drop the 2 nights at the same time which would've enabled management to advertise a 15hr job ? But I get the impression that you're quite new in the position so why take the job and do someone else out of a decent contract.

To be honest this infuriates me as there are people stuck on flexi contracts being "forced" to work hours they don't want to and then having their hours cut by half come January/February.  People do this in our store, take on a job only to tell them 2 weeks later that it doesn't really suit and they need to change their hours  >:(

madness

I only want to work mon-thursday 9-2 pm

Nikkih4586

4 years I been working nights and I need something different I dropped the Sunday into monday to help my son with his children while he at works  hes a single dad  now i have found a day job that should suit better in the week and my family life I am keeping the Friday night and saturday night  at tesco .... plz dont presume I work hard for tesco I give them far to much and get treated like a dog for it I wish to better myself and at my age I wont have many chances the new job I have is far more fulfilling ... and my contract at tesco was full time 5 nights I went Down to 4 2 years ago as I was spending no time with my family my 2 days off was just sleep .... but thk you all for  replying

takethemoneyandrun

Quote from: Nikkih4586 on 03-09-19, 03:52AM
4 years I been working nights and I need something different I dropped the Sunday into monday to help my son with his children while he at works  hes a single dad  now i have found a day job that should suit better in the week and my family life I am keeping the Friday night and saturday night  at tesco .... plz dont presume I work hard for tesco I give them far to much and get treated like a dog for it I wish to better myself and at my age I wont have many chances the new job I have is far more fulfilling ... and my contract at tesco was full time 5 nights I went Down to 4 2 years ago as I was spending no time with my family my 2 days off was just sleep .... but thk you all for  replying
Dont blame you hun...work/life balance...trust me if they didnt need you they would drop you in a heartbeat.... :)

Welshie

Well I totally understand you dropping a shift to help out your son and yes Tesco should do their best to accommodate this . I doubt they'll go out of their way to help if it's for another job  but as you're obviously prepared to work fri sat nights it should go in you favour . Good luck

lucgeo

Don't crack on about your new job, just let them think it's for personal reasons, helping your son out. Always good to lay it on a bit...you're struggling to support your attendance, you're dealing with a lot of pressure at the moment, don't want to go off sick with all the stress, letting your colleagues or Tesco down, busy weekends not a problem as not needed at home to support etc..etc..put the ball back in their court, ask for a meeting to support your attendance with your manager and rep. Mental health awareness is the new black, they should be taking your request seriously, as should your rep, it's what USDAW are pushing to support recently.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Jobless

Just say you no longer want to work as many shifts. Anyone who asks more is not showing Tesco Values.

chris9997

it may be that the team manager would be reluctant to allow you to drop a shift if the sm does not allow him/her to replace the shift, family commitments or not the store still has to operate  and as you have another job which fulfils you more then perhaps this job is no longer for you.

radiantempoleon

I was late by 40 mins for my shift due to transport issues and my manager wants me to start 40 mins earlier on my next shift. However, I have checked the lateness policy and it says nothing about making up the hours, in fact it says lateness is always paid so wouldn't they have to pay me more in that case. Am I REQUIRED to start earlier or is she not following policy?

beefy

Quote from: radiantempoleon on 04-09-19, 08:15PM
I was late by 40 mins for my shift due to transport issues and my manager wants me to start 40 mins earlier on my next shift. However, I have checked the lateness policy and it says nothing about making up the hours, in fact it says lateness is always paid so wouldn't they have to pay me more in that case. Am I REQUIRED to start earlier or is she not following policy?
never been told once to start early if I been late had few issues with public transport before and its made me late for work never been told that

Redshoes

Lateness is always paid but the understanding is that it that the time is paid back at a time to suit the business and you.

Welshie

Why shouldn't you pay in back ?? Otherwise everyone would walk in 40 mins late every shift and get paid for time they're not working .
Its unfortunate that public transport caused your lateness BUT what's to say all of a sudden everyone's bus was "late" because you got paid 40mins you didn't work !!

whatajoke2019

I was always on the understanding if you were late, for whatever reason, you either made the time back and/or had your pay adjusted accordingly for time not worked.

I suspect, in the future, when W&P comes into effect you'll only be paid for the actual hours you've worked (including any pre-agreed overtime that's been added to the tablet/HRAM) and if you're late and don't make the time back, you won't be paid.

radiantempoleon

Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 05-09-19, 09:49AM
I was always on the understanding if you were late, for whatever reason, you either made the time back and/or had your pay adjusted accordingly for time not worked.
Quote from: Redshoes on 05-09-19, 08:16AM
Lateness is always paid but the understanding is that it that the time is paid back at a time to suit the business and you.

Where is any of that written down please?

Quote from: Welshie on 05-09-19, 08:34AM
Why shouldn't you pay in back ?? Otherwise everyone would walk in 40 mins late every shift and get paid for time they're not working .
Its unfortunate that public transport caused your lateness BUT what's to say all of a sudden everyone's bus was "late" because you got paid 40mins you didn't work !!

Because persistent lateness would result in disciplinary action. I just want to know if my manager is following policy.

tumshie

Lateness is a disciplinary issue.
Your manager should accept your explanation or give you a Let's Talk for being so late.
Either way, she should not dock your pay.

That said, I'd be inclined to offer to work the 40 mins another time, but maybe that's just me.

Redshoes

I just know that lateness should be paid and time is paid back. I have seen it written down but can't remember where but policy is now online and open for all to see. As others have said, it's fair. Anyone and everyone would just turn up as they want if being late was paid but not having to pay back. The company can't punish us for being stuck in traffic but we could all have that excuse. If it is a one off you need to talk to your manager.

londoner83

Lateness is a conduct issue but is  paid as you cant be punished twice for the same offence.

Its is wrong to deduct pay for lateness and then send a employee thru disciplinary procedures.

In most cases managers should use common sense. A employee who has a 5 min walk to work shouldn't be late, someone relying on 2-3 buses or a motorway drive may occasionally exiperence delays out of their control.

whatajoke2019

In my defence I was told this by a manager a few years ago; I should know better as they can't spell process, let alone follow it.

There was one occasion where I was late for work (knock on traffic from an RTA) by around half an hour.

Clocked in and out and made my time back. Come pay day-minus hours  :-X.

Didn't bother to challenge it, even though I perhaps should have, because I'd done a fair amount of overtime and it saved me a few quid in Tax and NI.

Tosco19

To clarify the above, Lateness (up to two hours) is a conduct issue and should be dealt with as follows:

Let's Talk > Investigation (Depending on Number of occasions, frequency)

You should be paid and coded as PA300 Lateness on the wages system - you SHOULD NOT be unpaid as double jeopardy is not allowed and the punishment is done through the disciplinary procedure.

Note that if you are over two hours late you are not late and you are absent.

chris9997

This thread is supposed to be dropping shift not lateness.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk