Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:43PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 293
Total: 297

Lidl paying £8-20 per hour

Started by silverbackache, 18-09-15, 06:18PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverbackache

Just announced on the news that Lidl are going to pay THIS year £8-20 per hour.  Showing up the big four for what they are, money grabbing, dole supplemented hypocrites.

dogslave

If they can pay so can tosco, will they? Like f++k.

Blondie1981

But you forget...Lidl is a business on the way up, The big T is heading in the opposite direction.

by the way I was in a Lidl store yesterday...I didn't notice groups of managers hanging about chatting rumbling ...perhaps that is another difference between the two companies....... :-\

Equalizer87

Lets not kid ourselves, we have no chance of being paid  £8.20 per hour.. Not with the way this company runs.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Hammer10

Not big T anymore more like little t that pay rise is 14% no chance in 100 years of us getting that ,more chance of following woolworths

picktocube

Remember that the hourly rate is all that they get paid,they do not pay premiums for sundays,bank holidays or nightshifts, although not many of the stores work through the night.

silverbackache

But didn't Tosco think it was a great idea when the Chancelor announced it in the budget?

lucgeo

Do Lidl workers pay their own stamp, like Aldi staff used to when they first opened in the UK?
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Digimon

Correct me if I'm wrong but post restructure, a skilled and established t/l is on £8.24 an hour? You could walk through a LIDL door and get paid £8.20 as a bog-standard assist and probably raising to whatever next.

Where would you prefer to start as a new recruit, with LIDL on £8.20, or this shower of shizzle on £7.20 odd an hour. One company is on their uppers while the other is in retreat?

As far as the comment 'remember they don't get premiums' well watch this space because the next generation of Tesco employees will be lucky if they get anypremiums either. Tesco will cull night shift premiums, bank holiday and Sunday premiums in one large money-saving exercise.

picktocube

That may be ,but ,my local Lidl always have vacancies,so,yes you could walk in the door and get a job straight away,but talk to their staff,and the promise of a hefty payrise won't keep them there.

tumshie

Lidl workers are not self-employed. They are employees just as we are.

Digimon

Quote from: picktocube on 18-09-15, 10:55PM
the promise of a hefty payrise won't keep them there.

Yet the lure of earning £8.04 as an experienced, skilled, jumped through hoops, grovel demeaning months at Tesco is enough for you to start on £7 odd an hour. Please don't give me the spiel about pensions and premiums. It will become an 'ordinary' working day if you work weekends in Dave's Brave New World.

Redshoes

I had always thought they were on more money than this anyway but as said above they don't seem to be able to keep their staff. I have known of several people who have left us and gone to them but have come back. Same with other retailers.
I gather you have to do what you are told, ordered, and you have to do all jobs. The pace is very high.

artimis

Better busy than bored, day goes so much quicker.

burns2015

Quote from: lucgeo on 18-09-15, 08:41PM
Do Lidl workers pay their own stamp, like Aldi staff used to when they first opened in the UK?

No and neither do Aldi

terrybigballs

Lidl turning the screw on Tesco again, the only way Tesco will be able to compete on wages going forward is by getting rid of full time employees ,sad as that statement maybe(in my opinion).

DairyMaid

Been doing that for a long time Terry the Gonads , try getting a job at Tosco with a contract of more than 7 hours nowadays oh testicular one.

Digimon

I don't just think it's as clear cut as saying that 'full time' employees will be the targets, in my opinion it will those on pensions, sickness benefits and all the other things that go with an 'old contract', meaning those colleagues will be viewed as pariahs. It will be an insidious conversion with the heirarchy thanking colleagues for their dedication as the last one walks through the door.

lucgeo

To get rid of full time GA positions would mean them buying their hours. They will go with natural wastage as the full timers leave/retire they will be replaced with short hour flexi contracts. Only managers will be full time (for now) though I can visualise the PM being the next target?? Put on part time hours or condensed to a local office. God knows all our PM ever seems to do is draw stupid feel good posters!!!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Digimon

Asda

A spokesperson said: "Our hourly rate of pay is currently £6.89 (outside of London), increasing to £7.00 on October 1 as part of our annual pay review. In addition to this our benefits package includes: colleague discount, annual bonus scheme, pension contributions, a sharesave scheme that allows colleagues to save and plan for the future, a bank holiday premium, paid breaks and a variety of other optional benefits."

Aldi

An Aldi spokesperson said: "We offer competitive rates of pay for store staff that are above the proposed National Living Wage. Depending on their level of experience our store assistants can earn up to £9.50 per hour, and these rates are regularly reviewed to help us attract and retain the best talent.

"We have a clearly defined career path for store staff and many have progressed from store assistant through to store manager. We are investing significantly in recruiting and training new employees as we aim to create 35,000 new jobs by 2020."

Morrisons

"Our standard hourly rate of pay for store colleagues varies from a minimum of £6.83 to a minimum of £7.79 depending on location around the country," said a Morrisons spokesman. "However, we haven't as yet concluded this year's annual pay negotiations so these will change."

Tesco

A spokesperson for Tesco, which pays £7.39 an hour to its shop workers, said: "At Tesco we know it is important to reward colleagues well, and that's why we pay one of the highest hourly rates in retail. We firmly believe in offering colleagues a total reward package and our benefits include a 10% colleague discount, shares scheme and pension, which we know they really value."

Previous statements by the supermarket say it is "supportive" of Osborne's new National Living Wage, which will reach £9 an hour by 2020.

Sainsbury's

A Sainsbury's spokesperson said: "We recently announced a record 4% pay increase for 137,000 colleagues working in our stores across the country, bringing their current basic pay to £7.36 per hour, including those aged under 25. This is well ahead of the government's national living wage of £7.20 for the over 25s to be implemented by next April. In addition, our overall reward package goes beyond just paying an hourly rate and our benefits contribute significantly to a colleague's overall income. For example, unlike Lidl, we pay for breaks and give an annual bonus to colleagues (this year 133,000 colleagues shared £50m)."

Do the 'big' Four look that tempting?

delightful-donuts

Also when you factor in the one and half hour each shift that we Don't get paid for then our hourly rate isn't 'one of the best in retail' at all!!!...nearer to 'one of the worst' I'd say?!!!!.....Dave???!
             :thumbdown: 

Loki

A break entitlement of an hour and a half that you do not work.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

lordadmiral

That is why wot is the point having break at all if its unpaid:D ...
I would prefer to have no more than 30 min break and life would be more easier !!!!! I worked for about 4 months with 30 min break and it was wonderful  .....
If someone is a f****ng retarded p***y and need ridiculously long breaks then they can have it but why every one must suffer??????!!!!!!!!!!!! i remember that years back in my old store my night senior mgr wanted to cut breaks by half to 45 minutes and he was collecting signatures from staff but at the end most of idiots didn't agree for cutting break  time so we stuck with 1,5h unpaid breaks
Even 30 min paid break can give us over 800 pounds more a year. Plus do not forget that all the time you spend in the store/depo etc it is the time you are giving to the company so why should we waist that time to be there for nothing???!!!
You girl/guys might do not know but for example in Poland you are "at work from" the moment you leave your home on your way to work  to the moment you come back from work. Yes company isn't paying you for time you need to get from place to place but if you will have an accident you can claim money from employer as the accident happen during the time you "give" to the company. This is what you call unions fighting for employees benefits not like USDAW pussys.

delightful-donuts

Quote from: Loki on 20-09-15, 07:44AM
A break entitlement of an hour and a half that you do not work.
An hour and a half that  I'd rather spend 'at home' 'sleeping' or whatever other way takes ' my fancy' NOT being stuck in Tesco's...thankyou very much!
And as I'm sure you're aware, Saintsbury's, Asda & Morrisons staff DO get paid for some ( if not all?) of their breaks! - so take this into account and as I said, Tesco's don't pay the best hourly rate of the 'big four' supermarkets.

londoner83

Unless Tesco raises it's pay it will find it increasingly harder to attract the best to its stores and will also see loads more people leave ( unless this is part of a bigger plan to get more of those on old contracts to quit).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk