News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

26-04-24, 11:57PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,420
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 746
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 513
Total: 515

Food Stock Managers

Started by beentheredoneit, 01-10-19, 08:04PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mildew

Dismissal simply won't happen.  Firstly it's an informal process . Secondly there are in some instances no vacancies. Finally if they decide to go formal they will have to offer redundancy.

beentheredoneit

Interesting new training assessment for stock colleagues and stock managers .....
beentheredoneit

Siwel123

What's this assessment?

DJL

Just updated online Click and Train material, not live till next week but I'd imagine it just refreshed current operations

Mildew

Gone further up the food chain outlining the impact this ridiculous situation is having on people in this role. Two week window while they investigate my complaints.

DJL

Well done you, are you able to say who and have you had any initial reply?

Mildew

As far as is possible in the company. it's been handed to a manager to investigate. I've stated I do not expect to hear the same reply as my grievance. The window is closing that they set.

DJL

Hopefully you get some answers,

Other managers are telling me, after a conversation with the SM, that I 'keep refusing job offers' and he is unable to advertise jobs until I move out of my role!  How's that for dignity and respect at work!

Redshoes

It would seem that you are hoping to be made redundant. Your job role is now soft structure and you have turned down stock/admin as not being suitable. In the recent changes to metro stores managers were job matched or paid off, no choice. If they were offered jobs and refused them they were not paid off.
A great deal of a managers role is a duty. Then add in the dept/legal training. The holiday booking, exceptions etc. Then the dept knowledge.
You can't be forced to move into a role that does not suit you but look at it from a colleagues perspective. How was it for your colleagues during the last restructure, were people forced into hours they did not normally do, did they have to change tasks and even Depts. As a business things do change and we can't ask colleagues to do what we won't do ourselves. What about the potential changes to PI, CSD and checkouts?
It does not matter where we work within the business, changes can and will happen. Some will work and some won't. Some will mean bigger adjustments, new skills, a bigger workload. A large part of hard all that will be is the team you have working for you. If you refuse to change but expect others to adjust and adapt you are not building a strong team. Adding the admin and wages to the job I accept is huge. It's a big part of the role but it is still as near as you can get to a stock control managers job in the new structure.
The company seem to be going more soft structure at the moment. How long this goes on for is pure guess unless you are very high up and in head office. How long the company will pay you for a diminishing role is unknown. How long you can reasonably be expected to sit within soft structure is unknown but I know of a manager in a local store who has done so for years. If the outcome you require is redundancy then you do need to turn down other roles but it's a gamble, they can say alternative roles have been offered and refused. They could go higher and request vacancies filled as offered and turned down. You could be putting yourself into constructive dismissal but who knows if they will go that far. The only thing for certain is that they will not turn round and say to you that they will create a job just for you as you don't like the roles that have been offered.

DJL

Redshoes, I appreciate your thoughts and what you say is largely accurate, however I would totally disagree with your tone about the colleagues perspective.  I had a highly effective and loyal team, I helped and supported them at all times, be it work or personal matters, we had a two way, mutual respect for each other.  If I needed help, they would help. I did not heed to be on their backs as they were highly trained and had the empowerment to do what was right, as well as the fact I would back them all the way!  In terms of the recent change, I actually told all my team as soon as I heard what was going on, it gave them the foresight to know before the formal meetings took place; they were very great full for my honesty and communication, as well as my support throughout the process!

I'm not refusing to change, I'm refusing to take another job!  Legally, any alternative must be 'suitable' to the individual, and all roles, from my point of view, bar my current, is unsuitable; for my family life, my health and my mental wellbeing!  I have multiple reasons to decline each role, I am in the right in doing so!

I'm not asking for a role to be created, I've worked in Tesco long enough, especially nowadays, to know that won't happen.  They have a firm plan, year on year, to improve the business and improve efficiencies.  This time around it's a soft structure on stock control and there appears to be no definitive solution to those that are not willing or able to take another role!

NightAndDay

To add to this, a recent court ruling found that the addition of extra responsibilities to an existing managers role which they were putting through as a "soft structure" change was found to be null and void as the extra responsibilities materially changed the nature of the role, add to this the bungling of the consultation process and the woman won tens of thousands of pounds in a constructive dismissal claim.

As for reasonable job alternatives offered, it's reasonable to decline if location, work hours and work schedule is changed in a way that puts you in an unfavourable position or if the role offered is unsuitable due to documented disability or health issues.

DJL

Thanks NightandDay, I can safely say, given what I have experienced over the last couple of years with Tesco, I'm in a pretty good place in relation to my rights and how employment law works.

You are absolutely correct in your points, any role must be suitable, and what is suitable for one, is not suitable for another.  It's this point that I feel Tesco are letting themselves down on.  When it suits them, they want us to be assertive and stand up for our rights but when it's the other way, the silence in deafening, no support, no communication, expecting us to drop everything in a minute and agree to anything they want just to suit their needs!

That may be been the case ten years ago, but not now!

Mildew

They put a six month time line on this. It's about to expire. Let's see what happens .

Mildew

Constructive dismissal is nonsense talk , especially with the number of people in this position.

Wirey2020

Mildew, how many in this position on your group?

DJL

Om12nv are you affected?

Mildew

At a guess probably a third so about eight

Mildew

Night and day, that shows how badly they handle this process, then get it wrong.

Srgd2170

That's good to read, Tesco have completely refused to answer my questions, especially about what's the process after 6 months. I Need all the information to make a decision which is right for me, they shouldn't be holding it back. To be treated like this is a disgrace. Until I have my answers from them, my response is always going to be the same. I don't know as tesco is being fair and transparent with me.

Srgd2170

NightAndDay

Mildew, which is exactly why constructive dismissal/unfair dismissal isn't completely out of question. At the end of the day, none of Tescos managers or managers doing the role of a consultant are proper managers/consultants, that's not through any fault of their own, that's Tescos fault for promoting within and only hiring managers with retail experience externally.

Proper managers comply with the process, have knowledge of employment law and shows empathy. Consultants (proper consultants not recruitment consultants) usually have a degree and are experts in a specific business area and are paid commensurately more than how much Tesco are paying their ill equipped managers to do this job.

Mildew

The whole process of their own making is informal, without rep, note takers or evidence of conversations and meetings. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Wirey2020

DJL

So Mildew, your area must have a few larger stores to have a third left in this position.  I've been told I'm the only one they haven't been able to move yet, but I'm not for moving!

Need to stick to our guns and keep integrity of our convictions!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk