News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:54AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 293
Total: 297

DotCom Shift Change Trials

Started by helpme, 16-06-19, 05:29PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerthedodger

Quote from: Villager No.6 on 21-08-19, 09:02PM
Lucgeo
Rolling 44hr contract explained in post 53. (In any one week 4 on 8am - 8pm 1hr break, 3 off) A friend of mine works in one of the four trial stores and has confirmed it.
Fixed contract they've been told will be made up of at least two 9am - 10pm shifts (with two 1hr breaks) and either a Saturday 9am - 5pm or Sunday 9am - 3pm. The shorter hrs on Saturday only if you're not contracted to do it as a full day ie 9-10.

There are fewer rolling contracts available than fixed, rolling will be given to the "best" drivers (driving record/availability/fewest disciplineries etc) in the event more opt for rolling over fixed and fixed offered to the others.

And it's not actually a trial, it's a pilot. It will roll out to all 🏬  soon.

Any idea what that means for team supports? Do they do same shift? And what about the manager?

Villager No.6

Only drivers affected, Team support/managers etc stay as they are.

sonic8610

So for those going for the fixed contract, what are the other shift patterns like other than 9-10?

Villager No.6

There are no other shift patterns.
Fixed contracts are all 9 - 10 unless you're offered less than 44hrs in which case you'll work a part day one day a week if more than 33hrs.
My friend's been offered the fixed @44hrs, his hours will be Sunday off, Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday 9-10, Thursday/Friday off, Saturday 9-10.
9-10 shift will be 9-1 out, 1-2 break, 2-5 out, 5-6 break, 6-10 out.

Villager No.6

8 drivers not offered either contract as hours/days they said they were willing to work on their availability forms didn't meet the new contracts, or their driver rating (unapproved days off/accidents/complaints etc)  wasn't good enough, all given redundancy.
4 drivers "at risk" as they've been given hours that they need to agree to and are thinking about it. If they choose not to accept they will be let go with no redundancy as they've been offered hours they said they would be prepared to do. One driver put availability for every day as he hoped to get the rolling contract which would allow him and his partner a few weekends together over the 14 week rolling pattern but he wasn't successful, his fixed contract has him in every weekend.
Original number of drivers c42, number of drivers needed on the new contracts c30.
All coming to your store soon.

sonic8610

Ok, thank you for the update. Do you get the choice of a rolling or fixed contract, or does everyone just get a sheet to fill out with their availability?

Denbis

Thank you Villager No.6. Do you or anyone know if this pilot is going to be rolled out Nationwide or in stages area by area. And any timescales. Would be interested to know if this is going to be this side of xmas in my store.

Villager No.6

On your availability sheet you can state your preference so if you wanted the fixed you could say that and you'd only be considered for that pattern.

No idea on timescales, my friend's been told there's no going back, this is the new pattern and it'll be rolled out to all stores.
I've asked about it at my store and have been told it's in the pipeline but they can't tell us anything as they don't know much about it...

sonic8610

Quote from: Villager No.6 on 11-08-19, 08:59AM
Rolling 4 on 3 off over a 14 week period. Eg:
Week 1; in Sunday, off Monday, in Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday, off Friday, Saturday
Week 2; in Sunday/Monday, off Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, in Friday,Saturday
Week 3; off Sunday, in Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, off Friday,Saturday
Week 4; off Sunday, in Monday/Tuesday, off Wednesday/Thursday, in Friday/Saturday
Week 5; in Sunday, off Monday/Tuesday, in Wednesday/Thursday/Friday, off Saturday
And so on for 14 weeks then revert to week 1 and start again.
In any 14 week period you get any one day off 6 times, so 6 Sundays in 14, 6 Mondays etc and 3 days in a row 6 times (though you'll have worked 4 in a row!). You always get 2 consecutive days off every week. Only 14 drivers can work on this pattern, the rest will be put on fixed contracts
By choosing a rolling shift you automatically opt in to work Sundays. If you can't/won't do Sundays or you want to work less than 44hrs then you have to apply for the fixed contract by filling in an availability sheet giving hours and days you will work. A rota will then be created and the shifts you are to work will be given to you, if you don't like that shift pattern it's very much take it or leave it. Similarly if you state you're prepared to work between 30 and 36hrs but the only hours available are 29 you'll be told there's no shift for you, thanks and goodbye.

I take it being 14 drivers on the rolling contract is depending on the number of vans your store has?

des

Done my first ever cv looks like me and Tesco will be parting company very soon, also know lots of the other drivers at my store will be doing the same, Tesco know how to mess things up big time this system will not keep drivers

rogerthedodger

Can't see it being b4 Xmas too much messing not idea would have been pre summer dip

fatboy

I know of at least 2 of our drivers applying for other jobs outside of tesco due to the upcoming changes. Gonna need to recruit a whole load of new drivers if this is rolled out & lose all the experience.

Villager No.6

Sonic8610
That would make sense I guess, got the numbers from my friend. That's how many were available at his store.

sonic8610

Villager No.6

Thank you. It'll be interesting when it does come to my store, will happen when they eventually start 8am deliveries on a Sunday - instead of starting at 1pm. Plus there'll be a lot of drivers who won't be happy to do so many late finishes, working at the weekend, etc. Also we have a fair number of students who do evenings and weekends. Think some will be expecting their contracts to be bought out.

helpme

As I've said before, they are expecting us all to give up all our commitments away from tesco and put them first. Not going to happen!
And with these rotas what will happen with holiday entitlements? Mine goes up by another three days from next March but I have a feeling that I will lose those and some more with what they are proposing.

sonic8610

It will mean less staff, so less holidays to give out which will be less shifts to cover. All about saving money for them.

gomezz

I suspect they will lose more drivers unhappy with this change than they will gain from people looking for full time hours.  And the ones they will lose will be experienced old hands and the ones they will gain will be inexperienced green horns.  Productivity will fall through the floor.

Personally, it took me ten years to move my Saturday shift to a weekday, sticking my oar in whenever there were shift changes and number of van changes in the mix and eventually hit a change that suited the company as well.  I don't mind being flexible and work some weekends but prefer it to be on my terms as some weekends are free for me to do and some are not - no regular pattern but averaging out at one in two.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

BlueToon

"Productivity will fall through the floor."

With the van damage going entirely in the opposite direction!

sonic8610

Agreed, the vans are not of great quality - though mind you some of the drivers' driving ability is very questionable ;D

There will also be the chancers - at least at my store - who will try for the 8-8 shifts to be fixed days or not having to do weekends for 3 or 4 weekday shifts. But then the moaners and complainers are the first to cry 'favouritism' if someone gets 4 day shifts a week or gets the weekend off - even though they don't work weekends or already have 4 day shifts. Double standards!

NightAndDay

How does Tesco new pay rate for customer delivery drivers stack up now compared to the competition? 44 hours is a good amount of hours, but I can see it putting people off, especially if the hourly rate is better at Sainsburies, Amazon etc.

des

Use to work 9am  till 10 pm years ago. Wouldn't like to go back to them days. At the end of a busy day fatigue hits you, had some close calls with the van.

fatboy

Exactly my thoughts. Safety of the driver is unfortunately put to the back of the pile. If you have a busy 10hr shift now, it can be very tiring. 12 or 13 hour shifts is just an accident waiting to happen.

lucgeo

Quote from: helpme on 01-09-19, 09:49AM
As I've said before, they are expecting us all to give up all our commitments away from tesco and put them first. Not going to happen!
And with these rotas what will happen with holiday entitlements? Mine goes up by another three days from next March but I have a feeling that I will lose those and some more with what they are proposing.

They can't take your 3 days for years of employment holiday allowance away from you, without going through consultations with USDAW as that allowance is in everyone's T&C's. Let them worry about fitting your extra days in, there's probably other drivers on the longer entitlement.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Paupers wage

Sainsbury's driver rate is £9.95 per hour

NightAndDay

So it seems even with their pay review where drivers will be paid £9.68 in September and £9.98 October next year they still can't beat Sainsburies rate of pay of £9.95, in March they have a pay review as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk