News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:22PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 290
Total: 292

References

Started by alexsafc96, 12-06-18, 12:20PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty67

This is the form you need to send along with any reference requests.

Preacherpauly

How long does it take for head office to get back to the company asking for the employment reference? Why cant wages in my store or the PM give the information?

Rad

If you have a good relationship with your manager they will sometimes do it for you.  It works both ways though as some people wouldn't want their manager or store having the chance to give a new employer any potential information that could compromise your chances.

Rad

If you are dismissed for awol your reference will say start date, leaving date, would not re employ.

Justlookingadvice1994

Quote from: Rad on 17-12-19, 12:08PM
If you are dismissed for awol your reference will say start date, leaving date, would not re employ.

Just curious if anyone’s ever seen their reference? I had a written warning 4 years ago and am now leaving Tesco and wondering will this be mentioned in my reference?

Cheers

Phoneshopguy

nope, join date, leaving date position held.

Legally cannot give a bad ref so you're previous warning wont be on it

alf

They can give a poor one if it's genuine/accurate.

For example if they said you had poor attendance, when you had impeccable attendance, that's not allowed.

Though, I'd hazard a guess and tesco simply say nothing to save any potential arguments.

https://www.acas.org.uk/providing-a-job-reference/if-you-get-a-bad-reference

NightAndDay

It does seem that ACAS hate to see employers taken to court, I suppose ACAS being a government body it would be against their interests to see any employer that pays significant amounts of taxes lose money in the courts.

Pinky

Quote from: Rad on 17-12-19, 12:08PM

What would this say if you was dismissed on conduct?

penguin

Same as above
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Pinky

As in will not re-employ? Is there a way Tesco can not put that on?

NightAndDay

Tbf, it's probably a badge of honour if Tesco say they won't re-employ you, it's a sign of intelligence.

Pinky

;D  ;D

[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]

Welshie

Quote from: Pinky on 02-10-20, 09:37AM
As in will not re-employ? Is there a way Tesco can not put that on?

You dont get how references work , do you ?

newguy20

Quote from: alf on 26-05-20, 02:57PM
They can give a poor one if it's genuine/accurate.

For example if they said you had poor attendance, when you had impeccable attendance, that's not allowed.

Though, I'd hazard a guess and tesco simply say nothing to save any potential arguments.

https://www.acas.org.uk/providing-a-job-reference/if-you-get-a-bad-reference

Exactly that and it is becoming widespread amongst many firms - to avoid any risk of lawsuits.

Some things are easier to prove than others, for example if they say you had poor attendance and challenged that could be backed up in court with hard evidence - if they say someone is lackadaisical and workshy that's a lot more difficult to prove.

A manager can however give you a reference, just not on Tesco headed paper, as a personal reference having been the manager of this person - which circumvents things because they then become liable for the content of the reference. Naturally, this will only be if the manager likes you enough to go out of his way to do it.

NightAndDay

I did my own reference, Manager said put what you want down, so I did.

lucgeo

References from Tesco aren't worth the paper they're printed on...the references come from HO and basically confirm you were employed on certain dates..and whether they would re employ.
Policy dictates that no instore manager can give a reference as a Tesco manager...but can give a personal reference.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

Managers following policy... you must be new to this site.

Dougall

Quote from: NightAndDay on 05-10-20, 04:56PM
I did my own reference, Manager said put what you want down, so I did.
So it’s ok for you to lie then  ;D

NightAndDay

Doesn't matter what I put in my case, It got me out of Tesco, a fair few would say I'm one of the lucky ones, the bad thing is, I thought Tesco was a shitshow when I left, it's somehow worse now.

Dougall

So the reference got you out of Tesco? Do you not find it a little contradictory that in one sentence you criticise those that do something they can get away with and display no integrity, yet you are willing to also indulge in that activity if it benefits yourself? So would it not be an untrue analogy to compare you to the same group of people that you seek to throw to the wolves on here ? Human nature is a funny thing

NightAndDay

I'd say for all that I did for the company, that what I put in my reference was accurate enough and true, I had 0 sick days, I was the reason the shop got a blue in stock and customers on the big 6 metric and I was a hard worker, the Store Manager knew that I was far below my station at Tesco so said to put what I want. I can't say that what I did lacked integrity because someone higher up the food chain allowed it.

To add, the practices of the people I scrutinize end up hurting someone else, cold chain for instance hurts the customer, stealing hurts the profits of Tesco, myself doing my own reference hurts nobody and benefits myself. Also I was given permission by a Store Manager with 10 years to do it, you can't scrutinize me for doing this without scrutinizing the Store Manager for allowing it to happen.

Dougall

Just because someone allowed it doesn’t mean it  doesn’t lack integrity  as you put it , apply that sort of logic elsewhere and you are basically saying that as long as it was allowed it’s got integrity???? Where does that stop then ?

Dougall

You could also be lying about all the things you mention of about your past record, so that will hurt your new employer who could now be stuck with an employee that got the job through lying on a reference.

NightAndDay

If it did hurt my employer, I would have got fired by now and not promoted once and exceeding all of my KPIs, I didn't say I lied on my reference,  what I put down was 100% accurate and truthful. If you subscribe to the leadership model then any perceived lack of integrity must fall on the decision maker, aka the manager, after all, I think it would be very fair to say that the whole point of managers is that they're accountable. I asked for a reference, he said put what you want, so I did, what would you expect me to do? Say no you do it? In some circles that's called insubordination, punishable by death by firing range.

To add, he signed the reference as well, so it's not like it was without checks and balances.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk