News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:32PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 269
Total: 271

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baker86

seniour member of staff and a dept manager in store 5.30 this morning aparently geting the low down on the 1to1s ready for 1st meatings today

lucgeo

Quote from: Baker4life on 28-02-20, 03:40AM
Ok cheers, if protected pay is on the table then that is at least something. Have to wait and see. Noticed Morrisons are advertising for skilled bakers jobs lately. Only a matter of time all Tesco bakeries will eventually be affected. Very sad they think a bake off loaf is what the customer wants, oh I forgot and bagels and wraps ofcourse

Please ensure you get the full facts regarding protected pay written down, I seem to think it is only a % of the difference from your current full time pay...I don't recall the way it's calculated, so I'm not going to speculate...also if morrisons are looking for bakers, there's nothing to stop you enquiring to them now about possible vacancies they may have now or in the future.
Another question to ask is if you are given a written job offer from another employer during your consultation, will they release you early to take up the new position, and still pay you redundancy ?

This was an option on the table with the team leaders cull, and many left before end of consultation, on full redundancy pay...However it wasn't an option given in last May's cull? So, no harm asking and getting a written response of yay or nay!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Cazcat

Currently work in a metro store which went through structure changes in September 19. Our on store bake off is manned by 1 person full time and 3 part timers. Think bigger stores also use a huge amount of bake off products already anyway so no big change there !!. The reduction of choice is the biggest problem and the reason we have lost customers. Even the corner shop has more choice now !!. Also believe that the whole redundancy process is a bit like a lucky dip. Can honestly say that they mzde a complete mess of processes  in our store and we ended up being understaffed for weeks and weeks afterwords. Good luck to everyone now in consultation. The redundancy packages on offer are really attractive to anyone with a decent amount of service. Not sure that Tesco is a great place to work anymore anyway.

baker86

in my store some bakers had 1to1s no avalability forms for bakers!! just packers looks like bakers are treated sepretly. full bakeoff store and no hotplate massive reduction in hours not said what they will be yet but will be alot less than now

Keljoz

I’m  a Packer in the bakery on a fixed contract if I do keep my job will they make me go on Flexible contract

heyyouguys

Keljoz no you stay on a fixed contract but make sure you ask the question in your meeting get it noted

Hammer10

I’m a baker I had an availability meeting.

Keljoz

Thanks heyyouguy Can you tell me if they can offer you hours on any department even thou you only state bakery on availability form

Blackcat3

I think only if there's a job with the hours you put on the form

trolleyboy96

If applying for morrisons just a watch out there bakeries are going the same way, our local one had a refresh and had the bakery removed and it’s now part bake. There contracts are very different to Tesco as in you work for morrisons not the bakery and location can be changed. Read there small print.

Also there arseholes to work for....seriously some people think Tesco are bad, nothing compared to morrisons.

Baker4life

Having 121 next week, told to fill in availability sheets and bring them with me. I'm full time but already know there are no full time jobs in my store. Told I should find out my redundancy package in my 121 meeting next week.

heyyouguys

Quote from: Keljoz on 28-02-20, 02:06PM
Thanks heyyouguy Can you tell me if they can offer you hours on any department even thou you only state bakery on availability form
[/quote

They will try and job match you on your department if I remember right

BoredBaker

Had my meeting today and had to fill in an availability form. I’m full time and basically got told if there’s any chance of keeping full time hours I need to give them fantastic availability and if I do get kept on then my job hours will be split across different departments. Eg half the week in bakery and half in grocery and/or dairy. There’s no full time jobs going to be in ANY bakery from now on. Full time is now classed as anything above 30 hours FYI. I put down by normal 7-4 shifts as my only availability but my manager admitted there would be a slim chance I’d find anything with lots of hours with that time window and I should consider putting until closing time at 11pm to have any chance of staying with Tesco. I also refused to move to a different contract which is what they want from everyone however be aware this affects sick pay etc somehow.

I HATE tesco now. Give me my redundancy 😂

heyyouguys

Boredbaker did they say anything a out job matching you to your department then if you want to try make your hours full time you have to apply for other vacancies and if so do you have to go through interview stage to get extra department for added hours hope this makes zense

Bakersdozen

Quote from: BoredBaker on 28-02-20, 06:19PM
Had my meeting today and had to fill in an availability form. I’m full time and basically got told if there’s any chance of keeping full time hours I need to give them fantastic availability and if I do get kept on then my job hours will be split across different departments. Eg half the week in bakery and half in grocery and/or dairy. There’s no full time jobs going to be in ANY bakery from now on. Full time is now classed as anything above 30 hours FYI. I put down by normal 7-4 shifts as my only availability but my manager admitted there would be a slim chance I’d find anything with lots of hours with that time window and I should consider putting until closing time at 11pm to have any chance of staying with Tesco. I also refused to move to a different contract which is what they want from everyone however be aware this affects sick pay etc somehow.

This sounds dodgy as f*** if you ask me, DO NOT fill out your availability to a "fantastic" level, fill it out the the hours that only work for you.
If you fill in all the hours and then they offer you hours that you're not happy with taking, guess what - you leave with no redundancy money because you have accepted to work them on your availability form.

Is your store going full bake off? As I strongly believe what you've been told is inaccurate and as far as I'm aware nobody knows that level of information yet (Not offering full time hours anymore)

This could be scare mongering you into a position that works for them. My own stance is why settle for something s*** when you can take hopfully a nice redundancy payment and hedge your bets elsewhere that appreatiate your skills and trade.

BoredBaker

Quote from: heyyouguys on 28-02-20, 06:25PM
Boredbaker did they say anything a out job matching you to your department then if you want to try make your hours full time you have to apply for other vacancies and if so do you have to go through interview stage to get extra department for added hours hope this makes zense

Yes I was told to make up my 36 hours I could potentially work so many days/hours in the bakery when the schedule says we are short and then make up the other hours in a different department. It would only go to an interview process for the other department if more than one person is applying for that specific job

Bakersdozen

Quote from: Baker4life on 28-02-20, 05:56PM
Having 121 next week, told to fill in availability sheets and bring them with me. I'm full time but already know there are no full time jobs in my store. Told I should find out my redundancy package in my 121 meeting next week.

Is your store going full bake off? Did they defo say no full time jobs will be available?

BoredBaker

Quote from: Bakersdozen on 28-02-20, 08:02PM
Quote from: BoredBaker on 28-02-20, 06:19PM

This sounds dodgy as f*** if you ask me, DO NOT fill out your availability to a "fantastic" level, fill it out the the hours that only work for you.
If you fill in all the hours and then they offer you hours that you're not happy with taking, guess what - you leave with no redundancy money because you have accepted to work them on your availability form.

Is your store going full bake off? As I strongly believe what you've been told is inaccurate and as far as I'm aware nobody knows that level of information yet (Not offering full time hours anymore)

This could be scare mongering you into a position that works for them. My own stance is why settle for something s*** when you can take hopfully a nice redundancy payment and hedge your bets elsewhere that appreatiate your skills and trade.

I’m hoping and praying for a nice tasty payoff! I was told the chance of being full time would now only be achieved by accepting to fulfill around half my hours in a different department. Wouldn’t bother me as long as I get to keep my hours and my protected pay rate from being a skilled baker. Any manager will tell you that the full time staff are on borrowed time. They aren’t useful to the company any longer. Sadly.

BoredBaker

Quote from: Bakersdozen on 28-02-20, 08:08PM
Quote from: Baker4life on 28-02-20, 05:56PM

Is your store going full bake off? Did they defo say no full time jobs will be available?

My store is going part scratch and part bake off. Brown breads and other things  be brought in to bake off and we will still offer white doughs. I was told there was no full time positions going to be offered in ANY bakery across the UK and the only way to remain full time is to split hours across departments

Baker4life

Bakers dozen I'm with you on that one, sounds very suspect.

Bakersdozen

Hi Boredbaker, is your store going full bake off?   I think all of us bakers need to be very carefull what we do, It's too easy for the arse to start flapping at the thought of no job and take anything the sugar coat as a good option  but bugger that.

I should get a nice figure roughly 12 take home pays upfront. That gives me, if I'm sensible 14 months to get another job before I run out of cash. The sooner I line something up the better. I'm just gutted to lose out on the friends I've worked with all these years to be honest, all the banter and laughs we've had.

My head has been all over the place since the news, as much I like to think I've got a thick skin after 14 years of knowing 1 thing damn that dagger sinks deep at the thought of losing it... having a few Bevvys tonight but conscious it could turn me into a blubbering mess to the Mrs come my 10th can... Be sensible on this one guy's, It's chess we're playing here not chequers be 5 moves ahead.

Knowledge is power, keep updating each other on here. Keep the lube out of sight and the arse clenched at all times, because I can feel a deep shafting is on the cards to anyone slipping.

Paulie

Can you refuse to fill in availability form?

Pollypest

When we were going through this last year, we were told there would be no redundancies for stock control, at the  time there were 3 full timers, we argued that it was illegal to cut our hours and were told our hours would be made up by working on other areas, even though every department in store was over hours. We stuck to availability that we were working and if we wanted redundancy to stick to full time, not to put we would be willing to cut our hours otherwise we would be slotted in to jobs. We got redundancy, which was great for me personally as I had nearly 29 years service, plus I only had another 5 years before retiring. It depends on your circumstances, but most of the friends who took redundancy found other jobs. Good luck to you all I feel for you cos I know how we felt, plenty of lies and no one willing to be honest with us.

Bakersdozen

Quote from: Paulie on 28-02-20, 08:33PM
Can you refuse to fill in availability form?
Not sure, I'd ask your union rep. I guess as a minimum write what you do now and only as a fully skilled baker and obviously only work on bakery dept.

Baker4life

I suspect you will need to fill one out

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk