News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:24AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smithers

likely scenario bakerys got to drop hrs so a chunk off each full timer and bingo no more full time staff

lucgeo

Quote from: BakerBum on 25-02-20, 03:05PM
any advice what availability to put, to get redundancy ?

If you want redundancy....just put the days, hours and shifts and dept you do now on your availability form. You may get told you should be putting least/ most hours you're available to work and least/ most days you're available...they're lying.
If you don't want redundancy...get the true facts, the supported pay does not increase with any future pay rises. Be as honest as you can with days/ shifts / hours you can do.

If you're at risk of redundancy and go into consultations, you get 4 half shifts paid to attend interviews. You can job trial for a further four weeks after redundancy date, on another dept to see suitably, and redundancy deferred. You can also defer redundancy, if there is a dept with temp vacancy (e.g. maternity leave ) on which you can work, but be warned, if you are dismissed during this time, you forgo your redundancy payout.
You can get 6 months job seekers allowance which isn't means tested, but it starts from the date of your redundancy, so don't delay in claiming.
There may be free re training initiatives in your area, to update or renew your skills.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Taffbaza

😬😬😬😬

trolleyboy96

There open till 6??? Ours and the ones locally your lucky to find anyone in them after 1pm.

Joking aside, the process isn’t great, take someone with you at each meeting, ask questions ask lots, at some point it won’t be the first meeting but you should get the colleague Q&A, lots of questions last year was shares and pensions.

Blackcat3

Staff have been asked why they can't work certain days and hours and to give reasons why they can't when in meetings about availability forms is this now how they are doing meetings?

msl1791

Let's hope the bakery guys can talk to the stockies/merch/ and counter staff that went thru this exactly the same time last year, and provide them with support. It's not very nice to go through personally, stressful etc. Al ot of the above is correct, think with your head what's best for you and your home life situation.

Samuel137

I'm actually on holiday this week and my boss is off sick but the deputy manager has just texted me asking if I'm free in the next hour to have a chat on the phone.

BakerBum

Quote from: Samuel137 on 25-02-20, 05:28PM
I'm actually on holiday this week and my boss is off sick but the deputy manager has just texted me asking if I'm free in the next hour to have a chat on the phone.

well least you get some sort of heads up that somethings happening, i instantly assumed i was in trouble for something else lol

BoredBaker

Quote from: Samuel137 on 25-02-20, 05:28PM

And I bet they tried to make you fall for the BS that they were doing you a favour by letting you know before you read it in the papers. They’ve known about this for longer than they like to admit. They just got wind it was going to the press today and thought oh maybe we better tell the staff then. It’s a joke of an organisation nowadays it really is. Fingers crossed for redundancy!

Panda29

Quote from: smithers on 25-02-20, 04:53PM
likely scenario bakerys got to drop hrs so a chunk off each full timer and bingo no more full time staff

Exactly what they are doing. Running out all full timers and long serving staff. For flexi and cheaper staff.
So much for no more job cuts. Good old USDAW full of more s*** than Tesco

Samuel137

Quote from: BakerBum on 25-02-20, 05:39PM

well least you get some sort of heads up that somethings happening, i instantly assumed i was in trouble for something else lol

Yeah If I didnt come on here and read what was going on I'd be thinking of all the things I done last week that could of got me in trouble  :D

Samuel137

Quote from: BoredBaker on 25-02-20, 05:42PM

And I bet they tried to make you fall for the BS that they were doing you a favour by letting you know before you read it in the papers. They’ve known about this for longer than they like to admit. They just got wind it was going to the press today and thought oh maybe we better tell the staff then. It’s a joke of an organisation nowadays it really is. Fingers crossed for redundancy!

I'll let you know what he says when he rings, to be honest some bakers here have been working 30 years plus and others 15 years minimum, I cant see anyone moving to another department or dropping hours so Im not sure whats gonna happen in a scenario where they need to lose hours. 

BoredBaker

Quote from: Samuel137 on 25-02-20, 05:57PM

I'll let you know what he says when he rings, to be honest some bakers here have been working 30 years plus and others 15 years minimum, I cant see anyone moving to another department or dropping hours so Im not sure whats gonna happen in a scenario where they need to lose hours.

My store are the same. 2 bakers been there over 20 years and others a fair length of time too. Some packers are full time they will get their hours hit to make room for the bakers who won’t be needed anymore. As someone else said it’s perfect chance for Tesco to get rid of full timers. Bakery has the most full timers in my store. Maybe another 3-4 on the shop floor and that’s it. Part time flexi contracts are the way forward for this company

lucgeo

Quote from: Blackcat3 on 25-02-20, 05:20PM
Staff have been asked why they can't work certain days and hours and to give reasons why they can't when in meetings about availability forms is this now how they are doing meetings?

No! You have been asked to fill in an availability form, which states your AVAILABILITY! They may have a position in mind, that could be similar hours, but might have a day or few hours out of what you've put, so they can ASK, but should give the reason why, I.e. "We've got the hours you need, but slightly out with your availability, would you be able to do these shifts/days?"
You certainly do not have to explain yourself, your reason of reply is simple..."because that's when I'm available to work!"

lucgeo

Anyone thinking of taking redundancy, use the VLH redundancy calculator it is extremely accurate, and you'll have more idea if you can afford to take the offer or not.

Samuel137

Also can't see many people taking a pay cut from their bakery premium back to standard pay. That's quite a bit monthly.

lucgeo

Quote from: BoredBaker on 25-02-20, 06:00PM

My store are the same. 2 bakers been there over 20 years and others a fair length of time too. Some packers are full time they will get their hours hit to make room for the bakers who won’t be needed anymore. As someone else said it’s perfect chance for Tesco to get rid of full timers. Bakery has the most full timers in my store. Maybe another 3-4 on the shop floor and that’s it. Part time flexi contracts are the way forward for this company

The packers can't get their hours hit to make room for the bakers. They're not understudies.

BoredBaker

Quote from: lucgeo on 25-02-20, 06:27PM

The packers can't get their hours hit to make room for the bakers. They're not understudies.

All hours will be looked at in the entire department whether it’s bakers or packers. If there’s a full time packer for example, their job could be split down into 2 part time jobs for themselves and a baker. Bakers will cost too much to simply just make everyone redundant. The heat map will provide an ideal schedule with shift patterns and it’ll be a free for all when it comes to applying. There won’t be many full time jobs except in massive stores

Tom Hardy

"Lots of small projects removing hours

e.g. IDQ moving to 10%
Counters changing to 9-7 opening
Capping shelves in stores that don’t have them already
Review of pharmacy, PI and trolley models, only small changes to hours
Stores without a combined desk going combined e.g CSD and kiosk moving to one department

Very little redundancy impact in the first quarter, will be lots of conversations around moving hours though.

Nothing on management at the moment, stores that lose lots of hours may have some management roles informally removed, but no redundancy impact.

As I said before, no further nights to days, no shift leaders in large stores at present."

Guess this wasn't meant to come in the the first quarter or M360 wasn't informed of these changes. I suppose this could have been leaked to the press and brought forward like the night changes when our store was affected a couple of months before we were supposed to be.

Dubliner

Quarter 2 starts 25th May so maybe that justifies minimum redundancies in Quarter 1   ???

NightAndDay

Quarter 1 is also Tescos new financial year, they won't implement any serious redundancies in the first quarter before they make their financial statements, they'll want to post an as optimistic picture as possible.

Samuel137

So yeah pretty much just got read out the briefing and then said not to listen to any rumours and that all stores will know exactly which are closing, which are staying the same and which are losing hours on Friday.

lucgeo

Quote from: BoredBaker on 25-02-20, 06:38PM
Quote from: lucgeo on 25-02-20, 06:27PM

All hours will be looked at in the entire department whether it’s bakers or packers. If there’s a full time packer for example, their job could be split down into 2 part time jobs for themselves and a baker. Bakers will cost too much to simply just make everyone redundant. The heat map will provide an ideal schedule with shift patterns and it’ll be a free for all when it comes to applying. There won’t be many full time jobs except in massive stores

They can't take one person's hours and give them to someone else! Regardless whether they're a baker or packer. If they take hours from one person, they can't then give those same hours to someone else! Even in a redundancy situation, if they say to one person shifts A,B & C are no longer there, they would have to wait 6 months before they can offer those shifts to someone else. If you're saying the packers hours will be split, then this is a redundancy, the dept hours can then be given to a baker, but that baker cannot do the lost packers routines in those hours, nor can anyone else do those shifts as a packer.

uncletupelo

Quote from: msl1791 on 25-02-20, 05:23PM
Let's hope the bakery guys can talk to the stockies/merch/ and counter staff that went thru this exactly the same time last year, and provide them with support. It's not very nice to go through personally, stressful etc. Al ot of the above is correct, think with your head what's best for you and your home life situation.

Former Stock Control who took redundancy last year. Tips for those about to go through this. If you want the payoff then fill in your current hours as your availability...nothing more nothing less. You do not need to explain this to anyone. Take someone into EVERY meeting with you. Your manager may have been great to you over the years. This means NOTHING. Their role in this is to get it done quick and with no incidents. They are not your friend and are not looking out for you. Keep your thoughts to yourself. Talk has a way of getting back to management. Take a list of questions with you into each meeting. Get written answers. You have workers rights guarenteed to you under UK/EU law. Tesco don't get to make stuff up or claim thats how we did it before. Give nothing away as to what you plan to do until each deadline comes around and official meetings are held. Be very careful with your conduct, timekeeping etc. If you can be gotten rid off by other means that suits them perfectly.

If you plan on staying and taking a cut in hours. Have a long think about how much can you cut and still get by. No point halving you hours to save your job if it means you cant eat or pay the rent. Only tick what you are prepared to work. Dont choose full availability...you will be offered every terrible shift going. If you refuse a contract on hours you have ticked then you have lost your job and will get nothing. Think about it. The job sites are full of small contract jobs; 8hrs, 12hrs, 15hrs etc. Dont take a bad set of hours just to keep your job.

Final thought. You are not as dumb or unskilled as Tesco would have you believe. Especially those who have been with Tesco for years. Do not sell youself short. There is life beyond Tesco. Good luck to you all

uncletupelo

Quote from: Blackcat3 on 25-02-20, 05:20PM

You do not have to say anything beyond what you have written down. Take a rep. Even if it means someone from USDAW local office.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk