News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:14PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 308
Total: 313

General Question about Cages

Started by Freebird123, 23-09-19, 01:01PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freebird123

Hi newbie to Tesco and this site and just wanted to ask how long does it take workers to replenish stock from a cage? I'm told it should be 20 minutes to half-hour per cage, is this for starters or experienced staff? because I'm being told different things by management and staff.  :)

lackofinterest

Depends entirely on the cage and whether you know where things go or not.  A cage with 6 boxes of crisps on and a health and beauty cage with 100's of items on is a big difference.  There is no time limit, if a manager tells you to do it faster then tell him/her to do it instead! >:D

Freebird123

I'm being timed to do a cage every half hour and these cages have a lot of different items for the section.  I've been on the aisle for 2 weeks.  I'm not as fast as some of the more seasoned workers but I thought I was doing OK until the manager said otherwise and asked me if I thought he should renew a temporary contract because I'm leaving cages at the end of the shift.  I  don't like leaving stuff for others to finish, but I genuinely thought I was doing OK at the speed thing considering I've just learnt where all the stock goes and stuff.   Not a lazy person in any way but I'm worried for my long term future at this place now   :(

NightAndDay

20 minutes a cage applies to either a superstore cage in superstore with all items on the cage belonging to that aisle and the cage being positioned centrally on the aisle or an express cage in express, the 10 minute tolerance is to take into account people traffic.

Another guideline to go by is 20-30 seconds per case, if there is conflict between cage and case work times, it's whichever is greater. The tolerance is also to take into account congestion.

As for the msnager, I'd pay him no mind, Tesco isn't the place you want to aim for a long term future at at the moment anyway. Looking at the direction the company is going, nobody has a long term future there.

spacerman

Depends on the section and how busy the store is, if the manager keeps on at you ask if you can shadow them doing the delivery to see how its done at 30 minutes/cage. I would guarantee they can not do what is being asked of you.

As always they have received some nonsense numbers and ignore everything else but the numbers, if you had no arms they would still ask what the problem was.

NightAndDay

Another piece of advice I'll give is don't let managers punk you, if they do things out of process, grievances are your friend, get all up in their grill if they persist on picking on you, make them scared of you, all these scumbags understand is fear.

Pochin123

"Grievances are your friend" No finer words spoken there sir :)
Has This Been Briefed Out??

lucgeo

Quote from: Freebird123 on 23-09-19, 01:20PM
I'm being timed to do a cage every half hour and these cages have a lot of different items for the section.  I've been on the aisle for 2 weeks.  I'm not as fast as some of the more seasoned workers but I thought I was doing OK until the manager said otherwise and asked me if I thought he should renew a temporary contract because I'm leaving cages at the end of the shift.  I  don't like leaving stuff for others to finish, but I genuinely thought I was doing OK at the speed thing considering I've just learnt where all the stock goes and stuff.   Not a lazy person in any way but I'm worried for my long term future at this place now   :(

What do you mean being timed?? Is the manager actually coming to you every 30 mins and checking your work? If it's in front of others, then it's a greivance of dignity at work. What a bully, asking if you think he should renew your contract! It's coming into silly season, he's not going to lose staff now, he's just trying it on, you're new, he's a dip s***, just carry on doing your best. Tell him next time, that him keep turning up to "bully" you, ( use that word!) is just distracting you, and isn't really " core values" ( use those words) he'll wonder who you've been talking to.

It's a case of how long's a piece of string, in how long it takes to work a cage, depends what's on it. You'll get used to the aisle, make a mental note of the next box on the cage, as you take the one before, and try to spot it as you're filling, for its location and whether a case will go out.

Managers are notorious for under timing a cage, the amount of times I was told, can you just work that, it'll only take 10 mins!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

madness

What time do you think it should be done in night and day?

NightAndDay

I can't comment on superstore, but when I worked in Express, provided it's not peak business hours, no till service and the cage is in a cage location near the type of product the cage is filled with, 20 seconds per case is reasonable.

Backstock cages would take me beyween 7-15 minutes (exception being grocety which, if lots went out would take 20-25 mins) express delivery, in most cases anywhere between 10-25 mins (10 mins for crisps and toilet rolls, 25-30 mins grocery/h+b)

Back in my Tesco days when I was a young gun, I was the fastest stock worker in the UK, after they took the mick too much they replaced my 7.5 hour night shift Sunday-Monday contract where I ran shift (I was a step up in an Esso alliance fuel site working 1 on 1) with a TL and 4 ca's.

That pfs never had a blue on costs measure since I stepped down.

oldfashionedplayer

for ours back like 5+ years ago night starters get told aim for 1 hour for an annoying cage of tons of different items, 35-440 mins for general cage, 10 mins for a crisp, 5 mins per mod and 5 mins per mod top for faceup, so 1 hour 30 for face-up, all depends though on the items, but our files that have timers for them for like jams, desert tins etc, say that 2 of the most annoying aisles in the store should be just under 3 hours to complete tops, backstock, 4 point check, stock the shelves, faceup with all stock from back to the front and brick wall stacking, about 206 items for 1 of the items if you add up each mod of it's standard delivery should take 40 mins for EVERYTHING, not just putting it on the shelves. anything less is good, anything more is slow. - Would love to see someone do it in that time...

whatajoke2019

I find it depends on the state of the delivery cage as well.

If it's relatively well stacked then it won't take as long as a cage that resembles a game of Jenga (other games of chance and risk are available).

But when your manager makes a point of timing you again, in line with the other suggestions mentioned here, ask them to show you how to do it quicker... and they won't want to know  :D

NightAndDay

When the managers give metrics, it is when all things are as they should be, an improperly stacked cage shouldn't arise in the first place as it's a health and safery hazard, the DC managers should be doing quality control checks before shipping them out.

This is Tesco though, you don't have to try very hard to find at least 3 significant health and safety violations in most stores, a common one being overloaded delivery cages on cages with broken wheels.

Siwel123

I don't normally work cages but feel for everyone that does as by god they're normally in a s*** state. They come in with cases nearly falling out of them and with no organisation to them at all

lordadmiral

What aisle you working. How much stock is on it? Is it totally full or for example 2/3.
I give an example. Biscuits, full cage and 100% stock will go out. 30 minutes is reasonable but might require push. 40 minutes it's about sensible time.
Another example i made ( i timed myself). Cage of tined tomatoes and soups. I managed to fill it and colect rubbish in 22 minutes.
A cage of sqash i finished in 12 minutes.
All of that was done with max speed and perfect knowledge of the aisles. Extra store.

Now example from dairy. There were nights where i spent 50 minutes filling full vage of ready meals. Then on the other side bit over 20 minutes for a cage of sausages and bacon.

The longer you work the easier is estimate how much time take to fill what.
If your mgr tell you 20 minutes for cage of tea and coffee then you need to report him.

spike_pkh

Most aisles 20 - 30 mins a cage is about right, toilet rolls, cereal and crisps maybe even 10mins a cage.. if you are leaving stock at the end of the night and only doing one aisle then the management is right, you arent working fast enough.

randomworker

Quote from: Freebird123 on 23-09-19, 01:01PM
Hi newbie to Tesco and this site and just wanted to ask how long does it take workers to replenish stock from a cage? I'm told it should be 20 minutes to half-hour per cage, is this for starters or experienced staff? because I'm being told different things by management and staff.  :)

As many have said it depends on the cage.

Simple and reasonable thing to ask the manager is

1. Can you please show me the training manual and also put me through a training program and sign me off that I have completed a variety of different cages in timely manner set out in the training manual.

What will happen is they will either back off or the will try and bully you more at which point your only route is the grievance route.

takethemoneyandrun

Quote from: randomworker on 24-09-19, 06:11AM
Quote from: Freebird123 on 23-09-19, 01:01PM

As many have said it depends on the cage.

Simple and reasonable thing to ask the manager is

1. Can you please show me the training manual and also put me through a training program and sign me off that I have completed a variety of different cages in timely manner set out in the training manual.

What will happen is they will either back off or the will try and bully you more at which point your only route is the grievance route.

Ask the Manager to buddy you and stand there while he/she does it in 20/30minutes...typical manager time scale everybody works differently and has different capabilities.

takethemoneyandrun

Quote from: lucgeo on 23-09-19, 04:41PM
Quote from: Freebird123 on 23-09-19, 01:20PM

What do you mean being timed?? Is the manager actually coming to you every 30 mins and checking your work? If it's in front of others, then it's a greivance of dignity at work. What a bully, asking if you think he should renew your contract! It's coming into silly season, he's not going to lose staff now, he's just trying it on, you're new, he's a dip s***, just carry on doing your best. Tell him next time, that him keep turning up to "bully" you, ( use that word!) is just distracting you, and isn't really " core values" ( use those words) he'll wonder who you've been talking to.

It's a case of how long's a piece of string, in how long it takes to work a cage, depends what's on it. You'll get used to the aisle, make a mental note of the next box on the cage, as you take the one before, and try to spot it as you're filling, for its location and whether a case will go out.

Managers are notorious for under timing a cage, the amount of times I was told, can you just work that, it'll only take 10 mins!

Don't worry about your long term future mate ....he would be doing you a favour letting you go...hes a bully this company is s*** to work for no way would anyone bully me but I understand you are new and are feeling intimidated there is no place for managers like that in retail but unfortunately they do exist and majority of them work at TOSCOS....

Redshoes

How is this treatment is supposed to inspire your performance. You will never perform well under these conditions. How you deal with this depends on how much you want or need to stay and how strong you feel about dealing with the situation.
You are supposed to have four, eight and 12 week reviews as a new start. You can document your treatment, say you have not had the full training to deliver a good job. Take care that you don't sign off on any training you don't feel you have had as once signed you have agreed you have had the training. You still need training as a temp, dept and till training within first four wks.
Some people can bully and intimidate people until you face up to them. It's not right and it should not happen but we live in a world where a lot of things should not happen. It's hard to advise how to deal with it as there is not a correct solution to something that should never happen in the first place but I think you should join the union. Then document things, keep a diary. Speak to a rep, they should know if it's a wider issue. After all of this you either have to ride it out or confront yourself or via the union.
Temps should not be treated badly. If this manager has done this to you they have probably got a history of same with others. If this is the case there will be a retention problem in the dept and that does not reflect well on any manager.

forrestgimp

20 years ago when i started i was told similar, we were told about a guy in lincoln who could do a cage in 15 mins that took us 30......we told the manager to fetch him over then because we couldnt do it and never heard another thing about it.

I dont think a time and motion study has ever been done.

King1999

The old saying goes if you can do it any better do it yourself.

Nattienat

Ask him , if he can do a cage in 20 mins then show me how and I'll follow suit . He' s having a laugh .
20 mins to do a cage of crisps is different to a cage of tablets . 🙈😂🙈😂

Welshie

Can I also add to that that even if he managed a cage in 15 mins, 4hrs later could he still do a cage in 15mins , no one could sustain that work rate all night.

LucyJ

Ask him,how long is a piece of string? Sounds like a right bully!  >:D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk