News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:03PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 284
Total: 287

Double Time on Sunday... uh oh

Started by sufRu, 14-01-16, 08:51PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jojaca

I don't know why you would give up your premiums for an hourly rate increase, which you will eventually get when the government increases the minimum wage in stages over the next few years. Dropping the premiums is only ever going to benefit the employer.

If staff have a vote like Morrison's on the keeping your premiums vs hourly increase it will only benefit the new starters to have an hourly increase. So I would imagine the new starters with no premiums outnumber the old timers, so that is unfair vote.

Looking at the bigger picture in a few years, I can see all supermaket's paying no more than the minimum wage of £9 and with no premiums attached. Us employees should be doing everything in power to keep hold of the premiums.

Nomad

"Us employees should be doing everything in power to keep hold of the premiums."

I agree working unsocial hours should always attract a premium for doing so, else why do it.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

SAMCRO

Quote from: Nomad on 20-01-16, 02:49PM
"Us employees should be doing everything in power to keep hold of the premiums."

I agree working unsocial hours should always attract a premium for doing so, else why do it.

Unfortunately Sunday isn't really regarded as unsociable hours these days. I work Sundays and I will be royally peeved if premiums are removed.

mosquito

Are we saying that we will get the opportunity to vote on this or is it an already done deal??

jojaca

Morrisons apparently did, but does not mean Tesco will.

Mickymouse1962

I don't think stores get to vote on anything

hesketh

Quote from: picktocube on 20-01-16, 11:15AM
Quote from: Sidewinder on 19-01-16, 10:05PM
They have just done the same at Morrisons in order to fund the increased Living Wage. No negotiation and all done through Usdaw agreement. Still meant a decent pay rise for full timers but a pay cut for those who only work weekends.

I guess this will be a standard approach in grocery retail as it is a case of increase prices or revise the pay structure.

I think you will find that  Morrisons staff  had a vote and overwhelmingly voted to lose premium rates in favour of a higher  base rate.

So Morrison's staff funded the living wage themselves!?!?!

If the living wage is to be a hourly figure then I would expect my premium hours to be payed accordingly.

Tesco and the others will have to stop paying, next to useless, directors and senior "managers" thousands of times what they pay the frontline staff. What exactly does Dave Lewis do that makes him worth millions per year? I know that competition for so called "Star Players" is high but there must be hundreds of competent people out there that would be happy to do what he does for less than half a million per year.

I've never considered communism before but the gap between the top and the bottom is way too high now. Perhaps a French Revolution might be the answer.......
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

Duracell

It's my belief that any change that affects an individuals pay, should have each affected individuals consent. Of course ( as I have been reminded recently) any challenge to a change that is not done correctly is ultimately reliant on being settled at tribunal level, the vehicle workers have to get to that Arena is USDAW who very often give credibilty to the change at the consultative level in the First instance, so it's difficult to say the least.

Something can be as obviously wrong as the difference between black and white, but when one of the limited tools you have for redress (USDAW) has played a key part in the foundation of setting that change in motion, what can you do? As ultimately you are asking USDAW to run with a challenge that will ultimately make themselves look bad.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Nomad

Quote from: SAMCRO on 20-01-16, 03:13PM
Unfortunately Sunday isn't really regarded as unsociable hours these days. I work Sundays and I will be royally peeved if premiums are removed.
It is by me, always has been, always will be, Sunday is family day, having a different day off in place of Sunday is pointless if other members of family group are at work, or put another way very unsociable to work on a Sunday.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Fair play

Surely Tesco will have to buy us out of our double time contract can't just take away something that a lot of us have had over twenty years , that's not right.

optout

Titch

'In 2011 Boots staff took their employers to a tribunal about loss of premiums and won . Read this today on line.'   

Any chance of a link :question: :thumbup:
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

formerscoboy

Quote from: Duracell on 20-01-16, 06:42PM
It's my belief that any change that affects an individuals pay, should have each affected individuals consent. Of course ( as I have been reminded recently) any challenge to a change that is not done correctly is ultimately reliant on being settled at tribunal level, the vehicle workers have to get to that Arena is USDAW who very often give credibilty to the change at the consultative level in the First instance, so it's difficult to say the least.

Something can be as obviously wrong as the difference between black and white, but when one of the limited tools you have for redress (USDAW) has played a key part in the foundation of setting that change in motion, what can you do? As ultimately you are asking USDAW to run with a challenge that will ultimately make themselves look bad.

You don't have to use usdaw, you have the right to represent yourself or pay a solicitor if you feel constructively dismissed through a lowering of your pay with no change to responsibilities. I know because I've done it.

Jacket potato

If they remove the premiums am I right in thinking it will affect everyone who is 1 on double time and 2 the people who get time and a half plus overtime supplement. So they will be giving just Normal rate for everything worked ?

lucgeo

What about a vote of no confidence in USDAW ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

londoner83

The best way to defeat this plan is for all the exiperenced long serving employees to refuse to work Sunday at single time. No one can be compelled to work on a Sunday and most that do only do so because of the extra pay it attracts.
Without the wealth of experienced staff in store on a day with minimal management presence it won't take much for the Tesco ship to hit a iceberg.

formerscoboy

May be worth reviewing guardian website, asda have removed 2000 jobs from stores - clothing, canteen, photo and pharmacy and taken away free tea and coffee. No doubt living wage is going to really hurt these big supermarkets. I really would fear what Feb 1st will bring if Sundays is the only thing I'd be very very surprised

lucgeo

We all realise that double time doesn't make good housekeeping, we're not stupid and understand that they could have a third more staff working Sunday's or premium times on time and a half or less rates.

What I feel is instead of targeting the long serving staff and penalising them, they should start looking at the gap between us? Seriously, how can they justify the high salaries paid to the tiers of senior managers. Let the long serving staff alone, the premiums will dwindle with retirement and leavers.

During last summer, Matt the tw*t was rumoured to be visiting our store. The whole store's GA's were cleaning everything in sight, a third on overtime. It was explained painfully slow to us that Matt was the boss, of the boss, of the boss, of the boss of our SM :o

Yes we really need to save those few extra £'s from the double timers, to enable to pay these finger pointing leeches disgusting amounts, to have numerous pointless meetings. At the end of the day, Tesco is just an oversized corner shop, being run by overpaid no marks, some of whom are totally ignorant of how some departments are run, as they have had no experience of working in them whilst licking their way up that s*** covered ladder.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Chiefstudbaker

Quote from: Fair play on 20-01-16, 08:04PM
Surely Tesco will have to buy us out of our double time contract can't just take away something that a lot of us have had over twenty years , that's not right 😡
they will and they best play fair as I've done every sunday for at least the last 10yrs and i expect more than joe bloggs who doesnt work any a lot more lol

savemefromthisplace

I can't see there being a vote. There wasn't with the Saturday premium. There would be chaos in my store. The only reason people worth a Sunday is for the extra money.

part of the problem

Tescos plan for the turnaround of the business is virtually all based on cost cutting be it losing hours, pay freeze, pension change etc etc so the thought of the living wage rearing its ugly head  must give Dave sleepless nights. Going from pay freeze to paying about a 20% pay rise will have an impact on their ability to cut the price of food and make the labour intensive dot com operation even less profitable. Instead of trying to do the right thing and follow discounters paying staff what they need to live he made a speech on how he thought it was a bad idea I quote "lethal for Tesco" which is easy to say when the board of directors are on fantastic packages and don't cut their own wages.
The harsh reality is there is probably very little staff could do to stop them .They may open a token consultation but will have little benefit. Retail has such a high turnover of staff within 10 years those that were on time and a half will be a minority. Think how many in your stores are on double time? With the short houred contract some people wont have the luxury of refusing to do sundays they couldn't survive without them. Once people start feeling the pinch of basic pay far more will return to sunday working once the dust settles and eventually further into the future they will probably become contracted shifts.

savemefromthisplace

Yeah your right. There are very little flexi workers in my store but they are willing to do anything to increase their pay which is fair enough . It will be interesting to see what happens if any of this comes true. If it doesn't come in Feb then it must be on the cards. Surely someone on here knows what's happening. I would lose about £250 a month of they stopped my sunday premium. Its the only reason I agreed to work a Sunday was for child care issues in the week but the extra has been a welcome bonus.

Loki

There will be no vote for stores. It has been negotiated and agreed via the National Forum.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

Tegai

Pathfinder

Quote from: Loki on 21-01-16, 07:44AM
There will be no vote for stores. It has been negotiated and agreed via the National Forum.

So a done deal then, just waiting for the writing on the wall to confirm.

Mickymouse1962

there will be a buy out of premiums just nobody knows how much yet will be interesting  to see  how much it will be

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk