News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:23PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 288
Total: 289

DotCom Shift Change Trials

Started by helpme, 16-06-19, 05:29PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CosmicSpacehead

Quote from: lucgeo on 23-10-19, 06:19AM
I'm unsure how it would be a redundancy issue, unless I've missed a post that gives a reason as to why ???

There are a few things drivers could do, if they are having difficulty with the new hours...

1. Form and present a collective grievance.

2. Ask for a capability study

3. All go off sick in the same week with bad backs, let the managers go out and see for         themselves!

We've already decided that if 12-14 hour shifts come in, and we can't take redundancy, we're all just going to bring our last wave orders back and say we're too tired to drive safely anymore. Which for the most part will be true.

I already struggle with working until 10pm, even if I started at 6pm, because I still wake up when my girlfriend gets up for work at 7am. So I have to grab a little nap in the day.

lucgeo

Quote from: blueberet on 23-10-19, 10:21AM
Is it not a redundancy issue if the job no longer exists? Post 104 suggests that one of the pilot stores is dropping from 42 drivers to 30, and post 144 mentions delays to the roll out due to notice periods for redundancy and contract changes.

Roger this is Tesco we're talking about if it is as bad as its being made out to be they will go ahead regardless as it suits them and there is a chance that none of the drivers in the trial stores are on VLH I'm sure we would have heard some information from them good or bad if they were it is only 4 stores taking part.

Then I stand corrected...I didn't scroll back too far as the topic is shift changes....if drivers are being dropped, then those affected should be offered redundancy and hence delays due to notice periods for redundancy.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Littlehelpsvery

Hopefully “urban fulfilment centres” come first before this.

Littlehelpsvery

All seems very quiet on this at the moment

Villager No.6

Been on holiday.
Update to post 148.
One 9-10 driver leaving this week, said he’s physically and emotionally wrecked. Lives a 40min drive from store so not getting home until nearly 11pm where his bit of the family meal is sitting in the microwave. Has to creep round the house as wife and kids asleep. Gets to bed around 11.45 then back up again at 6.30 with wife getting ready for work/kids for school then leaves for work at 8 to battle with traffic for the 9am start. Got himself a job delivering car parts 8-5 five days a week, weekends off happy to lose £25/wk and 10% discount.
He’s said the 8-8 drivers have it easy(ier) as their vans are loaded for them in the morning but only a few 9-10 vans are so most days is loading his first run as well as the other two and has been averaging 40 drops where 8-8 getting 34.
Might suit the younger of you out there but I’m in my 60’s and have already made my mind up to go when this ridiculous shift pattern comes to my store.

uklions

Same, I'm 56 been doing job cdd 15 years now.....NO Chance of me doing them silly hours either  :(

CosmicSpacehead

I'm only 36, and live 15 minutes away, and I'm not doing them either. Some of our drivers travel 30-40 minutes to get to work, so they'll be absolutely shattered. I can imagine them not being in the safe state to even drive home after work.

I'm wondering if they'll change their mind when the accidents and law suites still rolling in. It's only a matter of time before an exhausted driver nods off either in a van, or their own car, and kills themselves and/or someone else.

Although Tesco would probably still want you to come in either way.

WageSlave81

No idea how this would work at our store, every delivery slot is taken, plus we usually end up with some unrouted, we have 14 vans.

Having 2 heavy 800kg+ runs twice a day of 50/50 flats/houses with difficult parking meaning about half the time you need to trolley it, doing 3 runs i dont think anyone would be able to cope.

Even Sundays are getting bad, I had 17 drops yesterday that was magically 859kg - I would loved to have put the van over a weighbridge to check, I knew it was heavy when loading and most trays had drinks and things in, 65 ambient, 24 chilled and 15 frozen - we do have a van loader for Sunday, but 1 person for 3 hours before he has his break and drives his van means only half are loaded.
My first 3 were flats, next was an old cottage on a highstreet with cars parked both sides, I parked about 300m away and used the trolley to take the 6 trays the whole way, the whole day was hard drops. By the end of the shift I was ready for a rest, doing the same again for another run would have been bad enough, 2 more like that I dread to think how hard it would be.

lucgeo

I received a parcel delivery yesterday, on the email advising me of its ETA, there was also a Zero Tolerance paragraph, and in this it stated that all their drivers are equipped with a monitoring device to record every delivery.

Now there's a thought 8-)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

gomezz

They can't even glue the cameras  to the van windscreen properly (most of ours are hanging off by the wiring held roughly in place by the passenger visor.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

blueberet

Any updates on how these trials are going?

Sambo

Oh my god, glad I got out of there in February, I spent just short of 12 years at Tesco, they changed my hours and put me back on nights late last year, even though I was a carer, this would of sent me over the edge I think.

fatboy

Sambo......what's that got to do with the dotcom shift change trial???

bg

ANY NEWS ON THIS TOPIC

[admin]No need to shout.[/admin]

piaggio1

Gone very quiet on this, how come anyone who is doing these shifts has said nowt.  We all know some thing is going on, but what  :question:

gomezz

Heard one (unsubstantiated) rumour that is has been scrapped.  Though that is no comfort to the (ex)drivers who have had their life messed around with.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

fatboy

I know things are quiet on the matter but I'm sure if it had been scrapped we would have heard.

Villager No.6

No news about any change at my store, any questions about it just get shrugged off with “Not heard anything other than some stores are trialling it”
My friend’s store still doing it and he really doesn’t like it though he says the three full days off he gets now are better than the two non sequential days he used to have.
The 8am - 8pm shift definitely easier than the 9am - 10pm and he and the other later shift drivers are asking if that shift could be changed to 9 - 9 or 10 - 10 with one 1hr break like the 8 - 8 shift get as its really tiring being at the store for 13hrs four days a week but it’s falling on deaf ears.

piaggio1

Well had my availability meeting today (work 2 days), can you do a late run Sat/ Sunday, er No.  Find out Thursday if owt offered, oh we have   66% driver turnover. Ie drivers that have left..( wonder why).  Tesco say it's a monetary problem, as in late shift 4 hours £35, hmmm cannot get drivers to work nights or weekends.  Looks like I'm gone after 12 years, love the job but no thanks.

BlueToon

Quote from: piaggio1 on 16-01-20, 11:38PM
Tesco say it's a monetary  problem

Well, there is a VERY easy solution to that aspect without forcing people to move and/or leave!!!

cddriver

Apparently it has gone mostly well in the pilot stores, but they’ve run into a few problems and one of them is covering drivers on holidays. There won’t be anything changing in the next 6 months.

Villager No.6

Why have my posts been moderated/edited?

[admin]I have sent you an email[/admin]

blueberet

The only poster that was actually in contact with someone taking part in the trial has their posts deleted what's actually going on here?

[admin]During a recent re-install of the software some posts were corrupted and would not display, they were NOT deleted. We have been slowly trying to repair/recover these posts, hence you will see on them a "Edit by Nomad" marker. All posts made since the re-install are OK. Nothing underhand no conspiracy just a bug. [/admin]

helpme

A store near ours is in the trial and once again it highlights the management culture of moral cowardice. None of the drivers like it for various reasons and they have told their managers that. But once again management put their own jobs first and say what senior management wants to hear rather than the truth.

fatboy

This will probably be rolled out eventually & what I see happening is the current drivers will agree to the new shifts just to stay employed but as soon as they find alternative employment they will then leave & Tesco will then be in the s*** because they will struggle to recruit new drivers willing to do these hours.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk