News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:42PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 296
Total: 301

Jack's

Started by londoner83, 13-09-18, 10:09PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omg1

Do we know where the other converted stores may be. I heard there is one in Stoke.

chris9997

Quote from: Retrokid on 22-09-18, 12:44AM
Could this be the new Jack's store built in Extra car park. Says won't sell food but have to wait and see  https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/tesco-new-shop-exeter-vale-1203024
not sure if a jacks next to an existing extra would work, as surely the customer would rather go into a store knowing they would be able to get all there shopping rather than bits of it from jacks albeit for a little cheaper.

grim up north

Quote from: Nomad on 24-09-18, 10:39AM
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/23/i-fear-for-shopping-when-its-goop-for-glitz-and-jacks-for-austerity

QuoteTesco and Goop are both engaged in full-on retail segregation – but only one is being upfront about it. With Jack's, it's not the produce that got rebranded, it's the consumers.

I thought the entire article a good read, with the above line being food for thought.

The article comes across as elitist to me. Who says T want to keep 'poor' people out of their normal shops? And since when are 'poor' people the only ones who shop in discounters?

People shop local regardless of the price.

Nomad

"People shop local regardless of the price." but not everybody, we always drive past other retailers to get to our personal choice of retailer.

"Who says T want to keep 'poor' people out of their normal shops?" anybody who wants to  8)

If you sell XXX for £5 then somebody starts selling XXX for £4.50 why would you set up (with associated costs) a new store down the road selling XXX for £4  :question:  :-\
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Duracell

Quote from: Nomad on 24-09-18, 10:39AM
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/23/i-fear-for-shopping-when-its-goop-for-glitz-and-jacks-for-austerity

QuoteTesco and Goop are both engaged in full-on retail segregation – but only one is being upfront about it. With Jack's, it's not the produce that got rebranded, it's the consumers.

I thought the entire article a good read, with the above line being food for thought.

Another perspective of how the company maybe under estimating how customers think in response to changes they make.

As for, building something next to a store that won't be selling food, it probably won't be T or J's and it's not new strategy either, they have done it many times in the past, purpose building for someone else, it turns assets into capital without any threat to their neighbouring Business.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Classy Bird

2 Jack's stores opening in Merseyside next week, in former metro stores

Nomad

Tesco's new brexit supermarket doesnt stack up

QuoteTesco bosses swear Jack's is 'nothing to do with Brexit'. But the clue's in the name. It's supposedly an homage to Tesco's founder, Jack Cohen — but it's no accident that in-store, you'll find Union Jacks everywhere, as well as signs telling you that 'every drop of fresh milk is British' and 'eight out of ten products are British'.

How true that is remains debatable; Tesco has found itself in trouble before over its 'fake farm' brands, with bucolic names such as Woodside Farms pasted on the shop's cheap ranges of fresh produce. These farms don't actually exist, and the meat and vegetables are sourced from all over Europe. Apart from the fact that Britishness isn't — whisper it — a guarantee of quality, I'm sure I can't be the only one raising an eyebrow at a few of their claims.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

fatboy

Does make me laugh when people go on about fake farms. Does anyone really think Aunt Bessie, Uncle Ben & Captain Birds eye are real people??

Classy Bird

I don't think Tesco ever claimed that their fake farms were going to be british products. My understanding was it was a move away from the 'Value' brand and stigma attached for the customers

Duracell

Quote from: Nomad on 28-09-18, 10:48AM
Tesco's new brexit supermarket doesnt stack up

QuoteTesco bosses swear Jack's is 'nothing to do with Brexit'. But the clue's in the name. It's supposedly an homage to Tesco's founder, Jack Cohen — but it's no accident that in-store, you'll find Union Jacks everywhere, as well as signs telling you that 'every drop of fresh milk is British' and 'eight out of ten products are British'.

How true that is remains debatable; Tesco has found itself in trouble before over its 'fake farm' brands, with bucolic names such as Woodside Farms pasted on the shop's cheap ranges of fresh produce. These farms don't actually exist, and the meat and vegetables are sourced from all over Europe. Apart from the fact that Britishness isn't — whisper it — a guarantee of quality, I'm sure I can't be the only one raising an eyebrow at a few of their claims.

I did mention this in a previous post, my personal belief is it may all be bigger than what the article says. I think they have an eye on a prize.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Nomad

Duracell, I was aware that you had.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

optout

@Fatboy
say it ain't so :o
;)
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

VladPutin

Quote from: londoner83 on 13-09-18, 10:09PM
What's everyone's thoughts on the new discount chain.

It was thought up by people at Head Office. So by definition, it's a bad idea. 8-)

BlueToon

Quote from: fatboy on 28-09-18, 11:05AM
Does anyone really think Aunt Bessie, Uncle Ben & Captain Birds eye are real people??
I KNOW Captain Birds Eye is real coz I saw him on telly!
:-)

Give Jack's a chance. It might help Tesco retain some of the market share previously given up to discounters. Not everyone can afford to buy branded goods. Jack's sounds like a way of giving these customers an option. Dave is not doing anything others would not. 

Nomad

Everybody has the option of shopping in other retailers who have unbranded goods.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

tumshie

Are staff in Jack's on the same payscale & pension & discounts as staff in Tesco stores?

Jack's GAs get £9/hour the T&Cs are different.

Kipper11

And Jack's staff don't get a uniform. They wear there own clothes and just get an apron and name badge

forrestgimp

Quote from: 1 on 30-09-18, 07:48PM
Give Jack's a chance. It might help Tesco retain some of the market share previously given up to discounters. Not everyone can afford to buy branded goods. Jack's sounds like a way of giving these customers an option. Dave is not doing anything others would not.

Ok, It will give customers the chance to buy unbranded goods which not everyone can afford to do. Yep sounds great until you realise Tesco do that already they have the infrastructure the shops and the workforce to do exactly that, oh and they also sell all the affordable unbranded goods you are talking about so why is there a need for the same shop under a different name owned by the same company?

What makes Jacks different to Tesco anything other than the name? I bet you are using Tescos distribution to get the goods you are buying with Tesco money to the shops owned by Tesco but called Jacks. Nothing wrong with that but what on earth is the point of it all? Do you really expect this contrived set up to make any difference to Aldi or Lidl at all,  If a huge behemoth of a company like Tesco is unable to compete with them why do you think a few extra shops called something different will be able to?

I really am curious as to why you think its going to make a dent in the customers that use Aldi or Lidl, They know Jacks is Tesco in all but name the prices are going to be the same or more than theirs (the same as Tescos to be fair there are pennys in it) yet for a company banging on about saving money a company that has a black hole that Steven Hawkins would be proud of in its pension scheme a company in debt that makes your eyes bleed reading it for the company to suddenly decide it would be a fantastic idea to open shops called something completely different to their own brand a household name no less to spend countless millions on re branding refurbishing advertising and taking on more staff for these shops (on not great T&Cs probably) seems a waste of money and I am surprised the shareholders have not said as much.

Fresh and easy turned out to be a huge white elephant and I would put a few quid on this going the same way that is unless its sold to the likes of Aldi or Lidl before it goes belly up.

It seems to me to be something to spend money on and something to justify the obscene wages some of you lot get.

Sorry forrestgimp

I am through and through therefore not allowed to appreciate peoples honesty.

Rad

Quote from: forrestgimp on 02-10-18, 03:14PM
Quote from: 1 on 30-09-18, 07:48PM

Ok, It will give customers the chance to buy unbranded goods which not everyone can afford to do. Yep sounds great until you realise Tesco do that already they have the infrastructure the shops and the workforce to do exactly that, oh and they also sell all the affordable unbranded goods you are talking about so why is there a need for the same shop under a different name owned by the same company?

What makes Jacks different to Tesco anything other than the name? I bet you are using Tescos distribution to get the goods you are buying with Tesco money to the shops owned by Tesco but called Jacks. Nothing wrong with that but what on earth is the point of it all? Do you really expect this contrived set up to make any difference to Aldi or Lidl at all,  If a huge behemoth of a company like Tesco is unable to compete with them why do you think a few extra shops called something different will be able to?

I really am curious as to why you think its going to make a dent in the customers that use Aldi or Lidl, They know Jacks is Tesco in all but name the prices are going to be the same or more than theirs (the same as Tescos to be fair there are pennys in it) yet for a company banging on about saving money a company that has a black hole that Steven Hawkins would be proud of in its pension scheme a company in debt that makes your eyes bleed reading it for the company to suddenly decide it would be a fantastic idea to open shops called something completely different to their own brand a household name no less to spend countless millions on re branding refurbishing advertising and taking on more staff for these shops (on not great T&Cs probably) seems a waste of money and I am surprised the shareholders have not said as much.

Fresh and easy turned out to be a huge white elephant and I would put a few quid on this going the same way that is unless its sold to the likes of Aldi or Lidl before it goes belly up.

It seems to me to be something to spend money on and something to justify the obscene wages some of you lot get.

This is a low risk way of challenging the discounters.  There's only 2 stores ready to go just now.  And only another 10-15 in the next year so its not gonna be the express explosion of the last decade.   The entire structure will be different in store and at group level.  I'll bet booker will be supplying it.  The rent or property prices will be different and will fit into the profit model.  We have hardly any, of these aldi and lidl sized stores so its a venture into the unknown.  And if it doesnt work, we sold some cheaper goods to our customers for our anniversary. 

It's different from our current model because we can hardly make any changes right now without hurting profit. We can't offer Jack's products in large or convenience stores because customers will come off some more high profit products and buy the Jack's stuff.  Which hurts profit. 

These Jack's stores will be near aldis or in areas that wont hurt our other stores.   

Lrob83

I can't find anything related to my post so hope you don't mind.

I believe somewhere in the dot com book it stars that drivers do not have to go back to store due to it being a waste of diesel and so on!

Can someone point me in the direction of that info please or send it me.

forrestgimp

Quote from: Rad on 02-10-18, 08:01PM

This is a low risk way of challenging the discounters.  There's only 2 stores ready to go just now.  And only another 10-15 in the next year so its not gonna be the express explosion of the last decade.   The entire structure will be different in store and at group level.  I'll bet booker will be supplying it.  The rent or property prices will be different and will fit into the profit model.  We have hardly any, of these aldi and lidl sized stores so its a venture into the unknown.  And if it doesnt work, we sold some cheaper goods to our customers for our anniversary. 

It's different from our current model because we can hardly make any changes right now without hurting profit. We can't offer Jack's products in large or convenience stores because customers will come off some more high profit products and buy the Jack's stuff.  Which hurts profit. 

These Jack's stores will be near aldis or in areas that wont hurt our other stores.

Low risk? costly more like it, what does the new shop do differently to the stores Tesco already own and 2 stores are going to make a dent in Lidl or Aldis market share are they (lol) Tesco already own one stop why not use their branding why make yet another brand that needs it own advertising budget.

What changes are you talking about that we need to make that will hurt profits? We already sell the unbranded items the Jacks will sell they are just not called Jacks beans or Jacks soup again something that needs paying for by way of labelling going to the manufacturers so they can label the exact same can of beans that they put Tesco on as Jacks all they do is stop the production line for a moment and swap out labels.

Now you say we will have stores near Aldi or Lidl, Are Tesco intending building them from scratch buying existing shops and refurbishing them or closing Tesco and reopening them as Jacks? Again why, whats the point we have a world leading brand already one thats known the entire planet and yet the only way those at the top can see to take on as they put it Aldi and Lidl is to open a few new store called Jacks.

Its a folly, a complete white elephant it will go the way of fresh and easy sold to someone for a huge loss a few years down the line when the powers that be realise its not and never would work....

Quote from: 1 on 02-10-18, 03:49PM
Sorry forrestgimp

I am through and through therefore not allowed to appreciate peoples honesty.

Sorry i'm not sure what you are telling me? I wasn't trying to upset you I just wanted a debate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk