News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:11AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 287
Total: 291

Health & Safety

Started by TONKA, 11-06-07, 05:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duracell

Failing the later can incur prosecution and a prison sentence.
Failing the former won't.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

formerscoboy

But is there any point being legal and bankrupt

AlexM

Quote from: mosquito on 10-10-15, 03:07PM
In my store we have delivery issues, we have tried to get Xtra fresh deliveries to no avail, this means the two days of double delivery means 20 cages of chilled , we're lucky to get 6 in the chiller, we try to rotate the stock every 20 minutes but in express is a problem.

Isn't this normal for every express, regardless of double deliveries? I've moved round a few of my local expresses in my time doing extra shifts & some of them don't even bother trying to get the chilled delivery into the back fridge - it sits in the yard til it's taken out to work!

Nomad

#formerscoboy
Quote from: formerscoboy on 25-11-15, 09:03PM
But is there any point being legal and bankrupt

No long term future in being illegal and solvent.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

sep1985

Jaycloth. All risk assessments and job discriptions are supposedly on the mythical "G" drive. You would think that the compliance manager would know where to find them but alas not. Still. Its not me that goes to prison !

TheOutspokenOne

Can anyone help me? I work on Backdoor where we get between 1 and 3 double decker deliveries a day. Now when we got our training I was sure we were told that there had to be 2 members of staff to assist the driver to tip it, I know this is true for tail lift deliveries but does it apply to double deckers?

his scots tie

Yes should be 2 members of staff to tip double deckers

TheOutspokenOne

Do you know if there is any documentation that states this?

Nomad

There should be a document detailing the safe system of work that is to be followed to the letter.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Duracell

Quote from: TheOutspokenOne on 03-10-16, 02:51PM
Can anyone help me? I work on Backdoor where we get between 1 and 3 double decker deliveries a day. Now when we got our training I was sure we were told that there had to be 2 members of staff to assist the driver to tip it, I know this is true for tail lift deliveries but does it apply to double deckers?

They could be seeing you and the driver as "the two people".

However as I understand it the both people that are required to tip a DD are required to both be competant and validated in the operation of the lift.

Is a lift required to tip the DD trailer?
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

TheOutspokenOne

Yes there is a lift required to tip the double decker. I know I will need something written down to prove that 2 people are required, prob the training material but I'm not sure where that is kept.

Duracell

Ask them to supply the safe system of work, you have a right to see it as you are completing the task and should be fully aware of that Safe System of Work.

There isn't an excuse for you not seeing it.

There should be more than one also as the lifts can vary in Manufacture and design, so each type needs a Safe System of work to be outlined.

They should be available on request.

Duracell.

dogslave

Facts are 2 people required to tip or load a dd trailer. They both need to be trained. I am a trainer and both need to be trained.
Should be in the training manual or file, which ever your site has.

Duracell

Also the ones I have read, state a minimum of 2 competant trained operators and no "untrained passengers".
So if the driver is untrained they should not be on the lift as they would be deemed a passenger.

They are goods lifts for operators only no passengers.

Duracell.

Duracell

Quote from: dogslave on 03-10-16, 09:25PM
Facts are 2 people required to tip or load a dd trailer. They both need to be trained. I am a trainer and both need to be trained.
Should be in the training manual or file, which ever your site has.

As a Trainer does the Training vary depending on the lift type?

Duracell.

radaghastly

Working in fresh department - on top on regular uniform, I have been issued with long sleeved fleece & gloves. Recently I have been asked to split delivery, which involves working in the chiller (3.8 degrees C) for significant lengths of time. Am I needing additional PPE to do this task safely? Are there any additional rules / laws I should know about (is there a maximum length of time I should spend in the chiller? Should I take a break every so often etc)?
My store manager has stated that gloves & fleece are sufficient & I should get on with it.

Daredevil

Hi i have a store related question.Throughout my tosco working life i have always been trained to pull roll cages.Now as the H&S Rep i have noticed most collegues including managers push cages.Upon speaking to one manager regarding this I've been told we can push cages on the shop floor as long as we can see over the stock on it.I wasnt aware of this and am doubtful.What is the correct policy please? X

bootsdaroff

Utter rubbish you always have to pull cages that is fact. You have to be in front pulling so you are aware of what is in front of you. Someone could be bent down filling a shelf or fixing something and you wouldn't see them. Whoever told you that should be truncheoned over the head  >:(

Walker

You always pull cages. It's even in the induction materials every new staff member watches on their first day:)

Daredevil

This came from the PM who has told me to back off.Thanks.

Nomad

http://www.hse.gov.uk/food/roll-cages-wheeled-racks.htm

QuoteSafe working advice

• only move one cage at a time
  • move the cage no faster than walking speed
  • wherever possible push the cage as this is ergonomically better than pulling it
  • seek help on ramps and uneven surfaces
  • stack heavier items at the bottom to lower the centre of gravity
  • do not load above the load line or above the level where the operator can see over the load.

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

JL

;D at times none of which is doable

Nomad

But you will always have a good case or defence if working as advised by the Health & Safety Executive.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

The Mrs

A question for DCs please.

Maintenance on bays - do all DCs have this contracted out.
If your dc has this contracted out who has responsibility within your dc to check the bays and report any problems to the contractor?
How often is this done if at all?

Not asking for the fun of it,  this relates to a serious accident and would like the info to pass on to solicitor/barrister.
Thanks x

grim up north

The maintenance team are supposed to check the bays. I'm unsure how things work exactly as they are not paid by our DC or something. If there is a problem with a bay, the Warehouse Op reports this to their manager. The manager phones India. India phone's the maintenance team...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk