Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 12:10PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 289
Total: 294

Shift Leader - Breaks & No security guards in morning.

Started by Youngmod93, 11-06-19, 11:57PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucgeo

If you log it in the safe & legal, then they don't pay you, you just produce the book as they can't "misplace" the evidence, like they do with everything else  ??? How long do they have to store the book for  :question:
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Nomad

Quote from: NightAndDay on 12-06-19, 11:55PM
Quote from: Nomad on 12-06-19, 05:29PM
Quote from: Teddybonkers on 12-06-19, 02:34PM
Policies are policies, law is law - do me a favour!  Who do you think is gonna investigate you're grievance - a SM, AM, HR? Unfortunately, its YOU who will be regarded as the problem, and YOU who will face the consequences in whatever form they may take. That's why nobody complains and management continue to get away with it. If management were serious about this, a budget would be set aside in each store and it would be easy to claim. In reality you either step down or suck it up, cos you ain't gonna win this one.

You have to have the bottle to do yourself the favour, as I did by taking them to the small claims court twice while in their employ and getting the monies owed to me on both occasions, and continuing in their employ after both cases.

Collect your evidence then if they don't pay then make your claim ( MCOL  ), if your evidence is good you'll get your money.

Surely if you win against Tesco in small claims an investigation occurs at the people manager/store manager level in why a court proceeding occurred in the first place?

It may have but not anything I was made aware of.  Perhaps an investigation took place and MM were found to be in the wrong and that is why I had no problems following the results of the claims because it should never have got that far.

PS: In my cases a DC not a store.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Rad

Quote from: Teddybonkers on 12-06-19, 02:34PM
Policies are policies, law is law - do me a favour!  Who do you think is gonna investigate you're grievance - a SM, AM, HR? Unfortunately, its YOU who will be regarded as the problem, and YOU who will face the consequences in whatever form they may take. That's why nobody complains and management continue to get away with it. If management were serious about this, a budget would be set aside in each store and it would be easy to claim. In reality you either step down or suck it up, cos you ain't gonna win this one.

This is a bit different though.  In Express this is policy.  I cant see any AM or SD backing up a Store Manager who is refusing to pay their colleagues correctly.

Teddybonkers

Really?  How many times have staff been underpaid overtime, holiday pay and even basic pay? Why do SM continually chance their arm screwing over staff, if it might damage their career prospects? After all its not their money is it. No mate, they're doing what's expected of them and what they think they can get away with.   

Rad

As I said this is different.  If a colleague raises a grievance or even tries to 'resolve the matter informally' via the PM it will be resolved rapid.   This is a huge Tesco policy change that must be adhered to. 

It's the cash admins responsibility to input the paid breaks that are recorded in the safe and legal record. 

There isnt some huge conspiracy between cash admins, store managers, area managers and directors not to pay colleague for their breaks.  If anything the store manager will get battered as over a year ago they were told to train other colleagues up to 'break level' step ups.

expressor

The real issue is a familiar one in Tesco. The SM will be under huge pressure to deliver the payroll budget whilst also having fantastic 'royal visits' etc. Therefore the pressure gets pushed down, and shift leaders end up not being paid correctly. How many put up with this but don't speak out? If they complain to the PM it will be sorted, but the SM has successfully kicked the can down the road, probably into the next pay period.

I'm not defending the indefensible, but it's what will happen if people are threatened with their jobs - whether it's a director and an accounting scandal or a lowly express SM and a shift leader's break entitlement.

Rad

I get all that.  But the point remains that SMs should have trained colleagues to break cover level over a year ago.   The money for paid breaks was never in the payroll budget beyond the first quarter of it going live. 

If they can't afford to pay it within their budget the answer is staring them in the face.  Complete that next step from December 2017.

I completely agree that the attitude from above in Express is all wrong from some SDs and AMs - the pressure stores have been under to complete the full store clean and reset on a whim was incredible.  All not on the corporate plan. 

expressor

Rad :thumbup:

Totally agree.

However we still have stores running 1on1, stores having to close when a wagon turns up. If there's not enough people in when needed, it doesn't matter if everyone is trained to cover SL breaks - they still won't happen.

StoreManager

Tesco is dead on its arse and to think anything different you'd have to be sniffing glue. When's there any good news it's constant store closures and reduced openings, redundancy's and people screwing money...

almostlost

Regarding CA's and shift leader break cover.  I've recently done the shift leader academy, but I've been told this week, that covering the first hour of a shift leaders break is unpaid ??  So all the hour breaks I've covered have been for free ??? Am I expected to carry on covering breaks, up to 5 hours a week, be responsible for the store, and not get any kind of extra pay for it ?

Shafted

That's ridiculous and I should think illegal to expect people to work for nothing 🤬

Teddybonkers

Quote from: almostlost on 17-08-19, 08:51PM
Regarding CA's and shift leader break cover.  I've recently done the shift leader academy, but I've been told this week, that covering the first hour of a shift leaders break is unpaid ??  So all the hour breaks I've covered have been for free ??? Am I expected to carry on covering breaks, up to 5 hours a week, be responsible for the store, and not get any kind of extra pay for it ?

YES :'(

lucgeo

I'm taking it you mean the extra skills payment for the hour  8-) 8-)

Redshoes

Checkouts don't get extra for covering team support break or for covering CSD breaks. Not sure the wages system we have at the moment can cope with it but step up pay is on the way. We are on the tablet system and have been for a long time now, a couple of years or more. Once the step up pay goes live in the tablet it's just a matter of moving people into the step up role.
Superstores often run with one manager in. They just go for breaks. If called to something they attend but mostly get to finish breaks.  Back door has cover so deliveries continue. Checkouts, fresh, stock control have cover so things just continue.
I don't know the express set up or the full job description but is it breaks where you want to leave the store or just breaks? Is it just lack of bodies? Is it lack of training for other colleagues?  Sounds more like just lack of bodies to me but as there are no express stores in my area I don't know. Duty manager can't leave the building for us as only manager in and if called to PFS they inform the desk so they know where they are.

Rad

Quote from: almostlost on 17-08-19, 08:51PM
You should receive it for covering hour breaks.  However I'm sure most reasonable managers would pay it for covering half hours. 

lucgeo

If a CA/TS is covering a higher rate skilled position, then there is a timescale as to how long they have worked the position, as to whether they get paid the higher skill rate pay. I don't recall the length of time, I thought it was 30 mins, but I could be wrong? It should be on the Tesco website for skills payment, which unfortunately, I no longer have access to.

Redshoes

They also have to be able to cover the whole job and not just part of it. For example, with team support at the checkouts, a step up will cover running the back of the tills but this is not the full job. For the skill pay they also have to do change run, exceptions, cover overtime, do flexi sheets, deliver dept training etc. It's not a skill payment to follow break sheet already filled out and fetch a box of eggs when needed.

lucgeo

"Checkouts don't get extra for covering team support break or for covering CSD breaks."

Yes they do, if it is for the recognised timescale  ???

checkoutmonkey

Quote from: Redshoes on 19-08-19, 10:05AM
They also have to be able to cover the whole job and not just part of it. For example, with team support at the checkouts, a step up will cover running the back of the tills but this is not the full job. For the skill pay they also have to do change run, exceptions, cover overtime, do flexi sheets, deliver dept training etc. It's not a skill payment to follow break sheet already filled out and fetch a box of eggs when needed.

Absolutely. I've actually had cashiers refuse to cover my break unless they get the payment for it and it makes me so angry. Like there's more to my job than just answering checkout calls

lucgeo

"For the skill pay they also have to do change run, exceptions, cover overtime, do flexi sheets, deliver dept training etc."

No they don't, unless their capable of doing all that in the recognised timescale for a skill payment cover, in which case they're definitely in the wrong job  :-X

Their grade isn't high enough to do exceptions, flexi sheets, deliver dept training, or cover overtime  ???

checkoutmonkey

Are you saying that a GA should be paid full whack just for covering the line for an hour? Or is there a step up pay that falls somewhere in the middle? Cos that's probably the best solution

lucgeo

Yes...they get the hourly grade payment for the amount of time they are covering, for 1 hour or more. It was all covered in the recent policies for upgrade of pay bands. This was mainly brought about when they increased some departmental pay bands. Also, due to CSD and tobacco becoming combined as both doing the same job, but different department codes and pay grade, which, understandably,  caused a great deal of resentment amongst those colleagues.

If you were constantly asked to cover a management role, would you expect to be paid the same rate?? Would you accept that, because you hadn't been asked to cover duty, that your cover wasn't worthy of the same pay rate??

Also, it's concerning that you appear to be a checkout team support, yet seem either unaware of this policy, or aren't prepared to authorise the correct payment with the wage clerk, as you don't agree with the policy?? Treading shaky ground there methinks :-X

checkoutmonkey

I am aware of the skills payment policy, but the wording of is rather vague. It's not specified what specifically justifies the payment. A Team Support does way more than just run the line, which is all we'd ever ask GAs to do when on break. Of course if that GA is also doing the change runs and training and what not then I'd absolutely ensure they get the extra payment and indeed there have been times where I've fought my manager because I believe it has been deserved when he has not.

but saying they are entitled to the full rate for doing just a fraction of my workload for an hour and having 0 accountability doesn't seem correct, and no store that I've worked in since the skill payment was introduced (there's been a few) has ever paid the skills payment to a GA unless they are actually covering the full role

forrestgimp

Quote from: checkoutmonkey on 19-08-19, 10:18AM
Quote from: Redshoes on 19-08-19, 10:05AM

Absolutely. I've actually had cashiers refuse to cover my break unless they get the payment for it and it makes me so angry. Like there's more to my job than just answering checkout calls

Which begs the question why should they do it when they are not being paid for it?

checkoutmonkey

I should add, whenever I go on an hour break and have to leave a GA running, I always make DM aware that IDQ is now their accountability whether they want to come down or not. I'd never expect the GA to take on any more responsibility other than to call the DM if it gets busy. If I'm asking them to do any more than that then of course they should be paid the higher rate

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk