Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 04:32PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 312
Total: 318

THE CONFIDENTIAL PROTECTOR LINE

Started by The Mrs, 21-04-05, 02:02AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ikhaj

The Mrs

Well spotted. I wondered how long it would take for someone to pick up on that. They've taken Confidential out of its title.

If anyone rings them please be sure to ask them that question and let VLH know the answer :d:

Klobasa

Confidentiality is a crime in my opinion,or it seems to be!!!! why would someone in an office delve into an employees file,extract a private,ex directory telephone number( BIG MISTAKE ANON) .and have the audacity to try and add their tuppence worth to a private and domestic situation.  :(

The Mrs

The staff handbook says

Protector Line is completely confidential and offers callers total
anonymity. You will not be required to give your name in order to raise a
concern. If you do leave your name, we will be able to report back to you
the results of any investigations or contact you to request further
information if necessary.

almostlost

A colleague phoned protector line, made a complaint about racism, nothing was heard of it.

His mother then called, to ask why nothing had even been reported to the store, and she was told she HAD to give a name.  Based on the complaint, the store would know who it was instantly, but they still shouldnt have told her she had to leave a name.

The next week he was interviewed, gave his side of the story, and that was it.  The person he made the complaint about was never even questioned.

But then, other members of staff have called it, lied to them, and its been investigated.  Seems a bit hit and miss to be honest.

Egg Head

It does work....
we had 2 men in black suits arrive at store (with clip boards!)
Signed in at customer services to see store manager & shown straight through to managers office
shortly after (a week or two) managers were "relocated"
It may be just a coincidence.....

dont give up...injustice & bullying is not acceptable! 

tumshie

and after the relocation, did they change their ways?

Egg Head

No idea..they "moved - relocated" to other stores but there will be a record on their file :)

Vampirerock

I didn't know this existed, there is certainly no posters or information on any boards in the store I work at, & believe me this store needs a good shake up.

Yin Yang

Quote from: Egg Head on 24-02-12, 09:14AM
but there will be a record on their file :)

Are you sure? I ask because favoratism has already been shown by relocating them, would they show you or me the same level of loyalty in the event of a dispute.
I think not.

Loki

In reply to the original OP, I can say, from personal experience, that the Confidential Protector Line is excellent and very useful indeed.

Although used as a last resort, it proved beneficial to those of us who were affected by certain matters.

Not often do I say positive things about Tesco, but this is definitely something that Tesco has implemented that I can endorse.

Yin Yang

I have seen it's benefit although the confidential was proved bogus in the early days.
A person called it to voice concerns about the attitude and harassment from the PM. A name was left on the understanding it would be kept confidential, it wasn't, new harassment started about why the individual phoned the number in the first place. So the individual phoned again this time expressing concerns about the validity of the process also, things got alot better after that.

I have never used it so don't know for sure but doesn't confidential means Details given will be withheld and not discussed. If your details were not a requisite for credibility wouldn't the term Anonymous Be used?

smugbabe

Been treated with a lack of respect and spoken to like c**p on the bottom of a shoe by one Manager, who's not yet signed off Options.
She's very clever and acts normal around other staff. And all her fellow managers think she's the bees knees.

The likelihood of the protector line helping my situation is probably null. Union says file a grievance, but it's likely i'll be the one to move  :(

ilosecrumpets

Quote from: The Mrs on 02-11-11, 07:55PM
There should be new posters up with this information. There is a change to the name, the phone number and the addition of an email address:

THE PROTECTOR LINE

TEL: 0800 032 0786

EMAIL: protectorline@uk.tesco.com

Minor correction - the correct e-mail address to use is protector.line@uk.tesco.com
The protectorline@uk.tesco.com address IS valid and WILL be read, but it used to pass information to stores. Any e-mail sent to this address will be forwarded to the protector.line@uk.tesco.com address.

JimmySaville

I've found the protector line to be worthless. Numerous times I have been promised a callback and an investigation into a VERY SERIOUS LEGAL MATTER, but nothing has come of it. The last time I called I was asked 5 times to ring back in 15minutes as they were already dealing with a complaint. Do they only have 1 phoneline or something? Pretty much sums up the way staff are treated. Better off speaking to the law directly therefore bypassing all the bureaucracy and incompetence of Tesco itself.

Byrnie1985

I believe it has minimum manning, but goes to the right stakeholder from there, I phoned it a few years ago and spoke to someone from the fraud squad, I got a call back from the right person to deal with my query and felt listened to and confident that if I needed help it was there. Seeing this post got me thinking, with so many things out there like the protector line why do people bother posting in forums like this?

If you don't get cut through in store, there are other stores to get advise from, other PMs, every store has an email account, which means every store can get onto Yammer and ask anybody in the business a question. If still can't get anywhere there's ATC. All of which are more constructive and more likely to help you than getting a half true answer on here.

I understand the discussion threads but process questions are best answered by the experts...

Nomad

I believe there are a number of members on VLH who are very knowledgeable in process. It is not unknown for experts wherever they maybe to not give the whole truth or not be up to speed on all that they should be.

I say take advice from as many origins as possible and pick that that has the highest consensus.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Talisman

A colleague phoned protector line to report suspicious activity and they said speak to pm first. They explained to the person that they wanted it to remain  confidetial and they weren't interested. The staff then got away with it. They asked are you not interested and they said...no!

trolley

Just emailed the proctor line to complain about certain things that are common in the store I work will let you know if anything is done about them. Hope no one finds out it was me if I could have gone to someone in store I would have done   has anyone had experience of this line recently

JimmySaville

the protector line is a total waste of time, its all about protecting the company, NOT the staff. They flat out lied to a government department when dealing with an issue I had regarding data protection and brushed everything under the rug.

Duracell

If you are not happy with the process then challenge it, I personally wouldn't have an issue with giving my Name. The process has recently been relaunched as part of the "Code of Conduct" for the purposes of The craved Transparency.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

tumshie

The protector line IS meant to be anonymous, tho, so here's hoping it is, trolley.
Be good to know how you get on, without giving any clues to your identity on here, of course.

Jakabok

I rang this recently and it goes to an external company who simply write up a report and pass it on to tesco to be investigated.
All anonymous. They read it back to you, and don't offer advice. They give you a reference number to check the outcome a month later.

lisad

What no one tells u is that if u ring the helpline, but remain anonymous the investigation will be carried  by management in store, even if the complaint is about them!.  Give your name if you want things to change.

panther

What, do you think, would be the consequence of phoning the protector line after you left the store? Would you even be able to once no longer an employee?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk