News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 04:09PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 318
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Over 70s Isolation

Started by extrastore, 15-03-20, 05:41PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CN2019

So I am an asthmatic who gets offered the flu jab every year, gets regular chest infections and I have been told by my manager unless I receive the letter from the NHS I will not be paid for any absence, but if I go to work I have to sign a form. That surely cannot be right?

Redshoes

No, it's not right. You should be off for 12 wks now. If still in work take this higher. If not in work just now ring back, ask why you are being informed to go against government guidelines.

lucgeo

Read the post #164 that Johnathon 1970 has listed, on the pandemics &Tesco policies thread. it's a list of all those advised to refrain from work. Print it off, ring the manager and ask if he still insists on you signing his form can he please sign your print off stating he has read it, and is still insistent you should be in work or unpaid leave if you stay at home??
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucgeo

So I've just gone through my freezer...sorted out the random bits and bobs, found meals I'd forgotten about, condensed all the packing, managed to squeeze in most of yesterday's shop. So by having less or smaller portions, and tightening our belts (hopefully literally), we should manage for a few weeks if we go into total isolation, as partner a postie!

Vixen

Hi, can anyone give me some advise, I'm currently on annual leave and due to return monday, however I'm on the NHS vulnerable list. My question is I'm happy to go back to support the store and colleagues but with me on the list I'm very wary.

Does anyone know any roles I can do in store that are not customer facing and are limited contact with colleagues who are.

If I return I've been advised by another colleague who also on list. If I return I have to sign a declaration and by signing this it waves my rights to any  payment for death on service if I was too get I'll with the virus and the worst happens

I dont mean to be dramatic but I'm unsure about what too do.

Blackcat3

@CN2019 I've been told the same you need a letter from doctor or letter recieved through the post I'm in same situation as you but then people are off as a precaution if someone at home has symptoms ei a cough

Grimbob

I'm well under 70 but similarly am asthmatic and prone to chest infections & regularly get the flu jab letter. I've been off for 14 days with a (diagnosed, non-Corona) chest infection so far, and I'm due to return Saturday. I contacted the absence line and was told that unless I'm on steroid tablets or injections I don't qualify, but I'm on a steroid inhaler and my doctor has told me that my asthma is severe enough to be considered risky with Corona, though she did not specifically say I'm part of the risk group -- this was before the isolation news.

Any advice? Should I ring my GP and ask if I qualify as part of the risk group? I have yet to receive a letter, but at the same time my mother (who is on steroid tablets) has yet to receive one either.

Welshie

Letters can arrive up to 29th March in England,  not sure of dates for the rest of the UK.

Redshoes

Lists of conditions states chronic asthmatic. My understanding is that if you are even mildly asthmatic it's classed as chronic as due to lung problems you may be prone to chest infections etc. There is a "wish to continue working" form you can sing that can be reversed at any time. It does however state that under no circumstances should you be pressured into continuing to work if you fall within one of the vulnerable categories. It's a highlighted sentence about three quarters way down the form.
We are not qualified dr's. The dr's are still learning about this virus. All you can do is follow guidelines. Even people without asthma get chest infections. It's awful, can really knock you off your feet. With asthma it is just so much worse.

Nomad

Quote from: Redshoes on 26-03-20, 08:13AM
.......... There is a "wish to continue working" form you can sing .....................

To what tune  :question:  ;D
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Jonathan1970

So how many of you are off for 12 weeks on the flu vaccine guideline?  Under 70 with a illness stated below ( ie anyone who receives the flu vacine for a medical condition.)

lucgeo

Quote from: Nomad on 26-03-20, 10:38AM
Quote from: Redshoes on 26-03-20, 08:13AM
.......... There is a "wish to continue working" form you can sing .....................

To what tune  :question:  ;D

This song comes to mind...

" what do you get when you fall in love?  You get enough germs to catch corona"  :o

Blackcat3

You have to be on certain medication for your asthma or had a letter through the post at our store some are off but there are still asthmatics working I think it's a grey area and needs making clear who can be off

madness

It is clear, if you get the flu jab becasue of your asthma you can be off. otherwise not.

hope0101

The information is on our tesco, if you open 'Coronavirus â€" latest update' and then open 'latest updates'. Open update dated 19th march, if you then look at the nhs guidence as to what a vunerable person is defined as, it states
under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (ie anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds):

chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
    chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
    chronic kidney disease
    chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
    chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
    diabetes
    problems with your spleen â€" for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
    a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
    being seriously overweight (a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above)

those who are pregnant

if a person has one of the above, they should be on piad leave for 12 weeks.
hope this helps :/
please protect yourself and your familes

Jonathan1970

Quote from: madness on 26-03-20, 02:45PM
It is clear, if you get the flu jab becasue of your asthma you can be off. otherwise not.

What about if you get the flu jab for a medical condition becouse you have a weakened immune system.
Cos it says such as hiv/aids, obviously mine isn't through one of them 2, but on my flu jab sheet it says eligibility group, weakend immune system.

madness

I was replying to someone about asthma, your situation of weakened immune system counts

hope0101

Jonathan1970
such as means the same as for example
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/such-as

if you have a weakened weakened immune system you should be off for 12 weeeks paid
protect yourself and your family
stay safe

Zx81

Has anybody seen the consent to work form? If so does it invalidate death in service if you have the work pension.

Redshoes

The main thing about the continue to work form is the sentence that states that you should at no point be pressured to continue working if you fall within a vulnerable category.

Blackcat3

The form doesn't mention death in service it says you have been identified in the at risk group and if you decide at a later date you can take the time off

lucgeo

Quote from: Zx81 on 27-03-20, 07:23AM
Has anybody seen the consent to work form? If so does it invalidate death in service if you have the work pension.

Unless it specifically stated that fact, then I'd say no! It's not an insurance policy, it's an agreed benefit.
They're not big brother....if you contracted any sort of illness that could prove fatal e.g. AIDS, meningitis or went on an extreme sport holiday etc...they couldn't withold payment on the basis that they thought you contributed due to being reckless!

Blackcat3

@ madness, having the flu jab and asthma doesn't automatically mean you get 12 weeks off, there is more paperwork about what medication you're on, whether you have been hospitalised or if your on steroids.  There is at least 5 asthmatics still at work in my store who have been told to get proof from doctor or wait for letter.

RandomJim

Yup, I have asthma but decided to not have the flu jab last year, haven’t been hospitalised and am not on those specific steroids but it’s probably seemed a suitable risk for them.
I was off this week as that came down when I was on holiday and it’s only now there being picky with it.
So I have to return to work next week even though a member of my household is severely vulnerable .. but because I can’t afford unpaid time off I have to risk me catching it.
Asthma is asthma ... a lung condition and I’ve just read that even healthy adults are dying from it ... it’s a joke.

gomezz

Noticed today that the table of asthma medications / doses I linked to earlier that indicated if your condition is considered "severe" on the asthma.co.uk web site has been removed.  I suspect something is in the wind as regards expert advice and policy going forward.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk