News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:01PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 301
Total: 303

DotCom Shift Change Trials

Started by helpme, 16-06-19, 05:29PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helpme

Has anyone else heard of the trial going on in which drivers are expected to do a four days on four days off rota?, eg. work four days, four days off then work four evenings and four days off.
Would anyone be willing to do these sort of shifts or is it even feasible when it would mean more manpower needed and they can't recruit enough drivers or retain them as it is. Plus many drivers have other commitments, would they be expected just to give them up for Tesco?

fatboy

4 days on 4 days off means you would need to be available 7 days a week as your working days would always be different. Cant see everyone having 7 days a week availability. They would prob have to offer redundancy as an option if this happens & can see most people would snap their hands off.

StoreManager

Giving 4 day contract for 4 on off service. I told you what is happening they are introducing a app. Delivery driver won't be on site unless there is work.

blueberet

I can't see that working in my store, more than half of us are on part time contracts and many of us have child care commitments. It's almost cheaper for me not to work than send my child to nursery.

fatboy

Childcare commitments.... how dare you ;D

lucgeo

Then there's the Sunday optout....puts the kibosh on that rota straight off..
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Villager No.6

Would also mean less money in my wages!
I work 35hrs (3 x 9hr days, 2 x 4hr nights/week) which means 140hrs/4 week payday
4 days on 4 days off 4 nights on 4 days off = 2 x 4 days + 2 x 4 nights worked in a four week period which is only 104hrs or the equivalent of one weeks less money.
I'll be gone, can't take that loss.

blueberet

Anyone heard anything more about this?

The rumours going round my store at the moment are 12 hour shifts one week 8-8 and 10-10 the next. The reasoning for this is that since they decided to abide by GB domestic driving rules they can't get enough drivers to fill the evening shift.

All seems a bit of a joke to me, we go through stages of having overtime capped which results in capped night runs. How hard can it be to have the wages available for 9 drivers if you want to send out 9 vans and if you dont have enough drivers just hire some new ones. This has been going on for 10 months now surely someone has some brain cells higher up to sort this out.

fatboy

GB domestic driving laws say you can only be on duty for 11 hours in a 24 hour period so 12 hour shifts cant be done.

fatboy

Villager no 6. You would not be worse of as there would be no evening shifts. It would mean 4 days on 4 days off but no evenings as the shifts would be 8-8 & 10-10. Look at the GB domestic driving laws on the gov website for 3.5 ton drivers. If you are employed as this then you can only work a max of 11 hours in 24 hour period so cant see how they can get round that with 12 hour shifts.

wizard

Take off hour & a half break they could

gomezz

What I don't get is the extra cost of poorer van utilisation.  Currently a van is used 13 hours a day.  Using this system would mean only using a van for 11 hours a day.  That is a huge hike in the cost of running the fleet with 18% more vans needed providing 16% less delivery capacity.  The figures just don't add up.  Unless I am missing something?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Villager No.6

Fatboy, had based my figures on the OP so with yours I'd be working 176 hrs.
4 shifts of 4 x 11hrs.
Fatboy/Gomezz, we won't be using the vans 11hrs/day, it'll be 10hrs/day. The GB domestic driving laws are you can work 11hrs in any 24hr period BUT you can only be driving for 10 of those 11hrs.
I'm assuming we'll be going out three times/day so on an 8-8, out at 8, lunch 12-1, out 1-5, 1/2hr break then out 5.30-8. That's 10.5hrs so over driving limit. The only way to make it work would be; Clock in at 8, load van/do van checks, leave 8.15 back 11.45 (3.5hrs) 11.45-12 empty/load, 12-1 lunch, 1.15-4.45 (3.5hrs) 4.45-5 empty/load, 5-5.30 break, 5.45-7.45 (2hrs) 7.45-8 empty/put backs. Total driving hrs 9 thereby allowing 1hr for traffic hold ups etc. Total duty time 10.5hrs again allowing 1/2hr for "events".

fatboy

11:45 - 12 empty van & reload? You having a laugh!!

blueberet

Villager No.6 must work at one of those stores that only take out 10 ambient trays on a run!

The more i think about this it just doesn't make sense. They are going to have to build in a contingency for unexpected events so we dont go over 10 hours driving time so the vans are only going to be out for a maximum of 9.5 hours, they will be down about 1.5 hours delivery hours per van. I'm sure some bright spark has just seen that he can save an hours worth of wages and not considered the consequences. 

There is also the legal side to consider when our driving time actually starts and stops since once my van is loaded i still have to drive it somewhere before I have my break. So if they can take that time off our driving time why don't they just take off the delivery time as well and go back to the way it was before, there is no way I'm anywhere close to driving for 10 hours on a night and a day shift.

gomezz

The delivery time does not count as driving time (we covered all this recently) so the 10 hour driving time limit does not really come into play.  It is the 11 hour duty time limit when driving as part of that time that is significant.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

rogerthedodger

A trial is ongoing down south so the jungle drums say.

fatboy

Can anyone from a store that is part of the trial give us anymore info please?

blueberet

I thought that we were also going over the 10 hours driving limit. I guess what it comes down to then is the van utilisation in the evening across the country. If you can only send out 2/3 of the vans in the evening, which is very common for my store, then you are getting about the same amount of van delivery time (3 day vans + 2 night vans = 29.5 hours vs 3 12hour vans 29.25 hours) but saving the 45 minutes it takes for the day driver to load the night run and the night driver to do his van checks and if only delivering until 10 you also save an hour of team support wage. Multiply this over the entire country then I guess the saving in wages makes a lot of sense.

fatboy

Think the main sticking point with this would be driver availability. If its gonna go to a 4 on 4 off shift pattern & be alternated between 8-8 & 10-10, this would mean all drivers would have to be available from 8am to 10pm 7 days a week.

barnybaby

Has usdaw been involved in this ? as a rep I have heard nothing about this.

Victor

Store I worked in, they had a few people that did the 8-6 or 9-7 shift Tuesday - Friday. They never worked weekends / evenings and never did OT.

They always hide behind the union when it comes to contract changes.

lucgeo

That's what they pay subs for 8-)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

fatboy

Seems funny to me that no one from the trial stores has posted anything. Is this trial actually happening??

helpme

One of our driver trainers confirmed it was happening and said no matter what the outcome of the trial they will roll it out sometime in 2021.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk