Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
18-08-18, 05:44AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 79738
  • Total Topics: 1660
  • Online Today: 78
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 68
Total: 69

Author Topic: More Nights to Twilight Rumours  (Read 157084 times)

m360

• Regular Pain
Re: More Nights to Twilight Rumours
« Reply #725 on: 13-02-18, 11:54PM »
m360 ,
Would a Curry’s or Dixon’s ever replace a current GM department ?

There’s a few stores out there I believe with Curry’s.

They take over selling the big ticket GM lines e.g. TVs

GM department is reduced in size but doesn’t go completely.

Beanny

« Reply #726 on: 20-02-18, 09:45PM »
M360 has stated that there should be no more nights to twilight happening at store level to the nightshift, however while this may be the case there is always the possibility that stores will close at 12pm and open at 6am while still having a nightshift on. Stores are getting a fancy new camera system put in to keep a close eye on not only customers but also on unscrupulous staff. This will be monitored centrally so suggests that the company will get rid of overpriced advanced guards which must be costing Tesco a fortune !! By closing the store at night suggests that Tesco will get rid of either the lead Night mgr or one of his/her minions. Rumour has it that it will be senior team!! Just by getting rid of say lead senior team, security guard, self scan colleague on all night to deal with customers, could save the company £100,000 a year. Multiply this by a load of stores would be a massive saving for the company!! Would like to hear from m360 for his opinion on whether this argument is rational or not.

Tape measure

« Reply #727 on: 20-02-18, 10:00PM »
Global Moderator Comment  Please do not quote the post immediately before yours.

The security system is called Hub. The Hub!
Security will still be required.
« Last Edit: 20-02-18, 10:02PM by tumshie »

Shafted

• Know All
« Reply #728 on: 21-02-18, 10:53PM »
m360 ,
Would a Curry’s or Dixon’s ever replace a current GM department ?
Wrexham Extra is trialling Curry’s in Store.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #729 on: 21-02-18, 11:16PM »
Global Moderator Comment Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).
The old slogan of "Currys always cutting prices"  Which got changed to "Currys always cutting corners" by staff is appropriate again for tesco.

Poolie Exile

« Reply #730 on: 03-04-18, 11:02PM »
Three of my closest stores all have vacancies on either a full nightshift finish at seven am or half a nightshift finish three am! So does that mean their nights are safe or not? I'm thinking of applying but don't know what to do for the best. Also our stores PM and one senior manager have been made redundant so I can't ask their advice. All jobs on nights currently on both the Joe Public website and the internal Our Tesco site with a spelling mistake on one job title!

darklighter

• Know All
« Reply #731 on: 03-04-18, 11:55PM »
It is all very well saying no nights to twilight in 2018 but the clock is ticking to get the cost savings ( I think it was £1.5bn) met that the city is expecting .
I do hope that m360 has his info from the top .
It would be unfortunate for night staff who jump ship because of this information only to find months later there old night teams have gone ,saving the company lots of money in unpaid redundancy.

Completely up to you whether you believe me.

I’m just trying to help with the facts.
Come now, you know as well as I do that this is the big reset, all starting from scratch without Union interference because they are compliant.

Dougall

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #732 on: 04-04-18, 08:49AM »
M360 any more changes to express stores?

fruitdogs

« Reply #733 on: 22-04-18, 05:43PM »
There might be a few more electrical/clothing/direct desks closing or going to ‘call a colleague’ in the bigger stores, and the odd counter closing where they don’t take any money.
Does anyone know if redundancy will be offered to staff on Direct Desk? I'm full time in an Extra.

his scots tie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #734 on: 22-04-18, 08:21PM »
Yes ,it has been offered in stores who have lost the direct desk.

fruitdogs

« Reply #735 on: 26-04-18, 07:56PM »
Thanks for the reply. We are now told our Direct Desk will be Call a Colleague. How has this worked in other Stores? How many hours were kept? As I'm on 36.5 hrs, I'm assuming they will want rid of me.

his scots tie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #736 on: 26-04-18, 08:25PM »
Fruitdogs Yes looks like they will offer you redundancy or less hours perhaps on another department.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #737 on: 27-04-18, 10:42AM »
No wonder the nights to twilight changes happened when the night lead managers are getting 38 to 48k a year. They should sc**p the lead/senior managers and have TMs feeding directly into the SM.

Chojac2412

• Know All
« Reply #738 on: 27-04-18, 11:26AM »
Thanks for the reply. We are now told our Direct Desk will be Call a Colleague. How has this worked in other Stores? How many hours were kept? As I'm on 36.5 hrs, I'm assuming they will want rid of me.

I have friends that have gone through this in my local extra. In this store nobody has lost hours or been offered redundancy. They now carry a phone and work on shop floor. When a customer needs serving they press a call button linked phone being carried.
However, hours have been reduced in recent times but mostly due to them just not being replaced when colleagues move.  I suspect, but don't know, that the whole redundancy side of things will be down to how many hours desk and shop floor had between them. In the store I am talking about I think the shop floor side of things was running very low.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #739 on: 27-04-18, 02:05PM »
Greengrocer with the new TM role packs it's fairly obvious that the long term plan is for ST to go. Once TM do everything in their packs (which they will have to once they have completd their 26 weeks training plan) I'd question what ST would be accountable for.

Suspect another management cull will happen early 2019.

his scots tie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #740 on: 27-04-18, 02:22PM »
Must be store specific then.  A lot of stores that have lost direct desk were offered redundancy or less hours, with a lot of vacancies on other departments.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #741 on: 27-04-18, 05:15PM »
Its so funny when you read about jobs being slashed, massive payouts etc. And then on the other end you hear news like that, where company is rising pay in Avonmouth DC and is looking to fill 400 vacancies while there is Dagenham  DC  and their strike.
On top of that tesco is unable to fill managers role. Company assumed that those whos role will go will take over vacancys. But nooooooooooo, is better to take the money and run.
God, from one extremum to another. Its very chaotic.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #742 on: 27-04-18, 06:29PM »
To call it "Chaotic" is an understatement.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #743 on: 27-04-18, 06:38PM »
More DCs closing soon then :question: >:(

fruitdogs

« Reply #744 on: 17-05-18, 12:05PM »
We have been told all Stores not going to Call a Colleague(Direct Desk), will be told first in Wk13. All others (my Store included), will find out later in the week.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #745 on: 17-05-18, 12:50PM »
They will have to make savings at the top some store have no cleaner.  Soon the Baker will be doing that when he has a spare few minuates.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #746 on: 17-05-18, 07:08PM »
Savings, what savings. At our store they now have more managers than they had when we had a night shift with another position (part time) available. Although I gather a couple are options candidates so doing it for nothing, but non the less at some point these posts will be filled by full wage earning managers.

It must be retail as a whole that thinks unless every second person is a manager the entire company will fold, The civil service is the only other institution that comes anywhere close to having this many people in charge of so few workers.

The other day our place had an induction day, about 9 people in there most on 10 hour contracts one on an 8 hour and 1 a 14 hour they were all under 20 years old.

You can bet your mortgage on them all getting the spiel about in 6 months you could be on options and a manager inside 18 with a full time position.

How is that helping the economy?

fruitdogs

« Reply #747 on: 22-05-18, 11:17AM »
We have a meeting on Thursday about the Direct Desk. The Union have a meeting before us. All non food were told their hours are safe. They will probably run Call a Colleague.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #748 on: 22-05-18, 12:29PM »
Savings, what savings. At our store they now have more managers than they had when we had a night shift with another position (part time) available. Although I gather a couple are options candidates so doing it for nothing, but non the less at some point these posts will be filled by full wage earning managers.

It must be retail as a whole that thinks unless every second person is a manager the entire company will fold, The civil service is the only other institution that comes anywhere close to having this many people in charge of so few workers.

The other day our place had an induction day, about 9 people in there most on 10 hour contracts one on an 8 hour and 1 a 14 hour they were all under 20 years old.

You can bet your mortgage on them all getting the spiel about in 6 months you could be on options and a manager inside 18 with a full time position.

How is that helping the economy?

No you can bet your mortgage that in 6 months time half of them will have left the other half will have moved  departments 3 times.

fruitdogs

« Reply #749 on: 22-05-18, 12:49PM »
We are worried. Will they offer us anything? Hours that were available have now disappeared. I for one will not be training anyone to do my job.