News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 11:31AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,366
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 516
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 397
Total: 397

Equal Pay/Leigh Day /Tom Hewitt/

Started by OpShunned, 22-03-17, 05:49PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duracell

Quote from: JL on 08-02-18, 11:00PM
Lots of talk on TV -Question Time  ;D

Just watching it on catchup. Interesting.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Redshoes

Quote from: Welshie on 09-02-18, 08:14AM
It's easy to get agency staff for DC and shop floor (I'm not saying they're any good) but they don't let agency staff work check-outs , customer services or pfs , so should those roles be paid more ?
Reality is if the DC guys don't pick it or  the shop floor guys don't put it on a shelf  or the check-outs guys aren't there to take the money or man self serve or scan as you shop , then the whole thing grinds to a halt . Everyone plays their part so does that mean it's of equal value ?

I have worked in 5 different stores over a 25 year period and I have worked in many different areas. In every area I have work the team think they work harder than the rest of the store. It will be same as jobs between depots and stores. The depit vs store is irrelevant, the heaviest manual job in one area being compared to the lightest job in another just requires different skills. There are people on checkouts, PFS, and desks that have medical conditions and have "light duties" but they have often done the "heavy duties" for years and have had to adjust to different skills. I think checkouts is one of the hardest job in the store but it's classed as light duties. You are stuck behind a till, the clock stops, most people on checkouts cover the clock on the till as it makes life easier to deal with. You go home tired but it's a different sort of tired. On the shop floor you tend to watch the clock not ignore it. Time flies as you tend to look at workload and time constantly but in opposit way to checkouts. At the end of the day we all go home tired, for some it's manual work body tired and for others it's customer focus smile on face tired, the company get their monies worth out of us all no matter where we work.

Welshie

Just to clarify I wasn't suggesting check-outs , pfs etc should get .Just replying to an earlier post that said if storefront equal pay to dc's no-one would work at DC.
We all do our bit 

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Redshoes

Quote from: Welshie on 10-02-18, 09:19AM
Just to clarify I wasn't suggesting check-outs , pfs etc should get .Just replying to an earlier post that said if storefront equal pay to dc's no-one would work at DC.
We all do our bit

I did not read it as that. Angency staff tend not to handle money, as simple as that. Checkout can be learned quickly but not so with PFS and desk. The till part is learned quickly but the rules and regulations not so much. All areas have deliver great service, deal with difficult customers etc but as agency staff are passing through they may not be invested in giving great service to that difficult customer as they are not staying.
I'm just saying/agreeing that we all do our bit. Every job had its own difficult bits but the difficult bits do not always relate to manual labour.

OpShunned

Quote from: Nomad on 10-02-18, 09:46AM
Something fishy in this gender pay claim against Tesco

Worth a read, I think.

Yes, definitely worth a read!

['Negotiation, not litigation?' ]--I doubt this would get colleagues anywhere especially if Usdaw are involved  :(

If you were paid depending on what level you were at? Would that work if shift allowances were included on top?

Another anomaly I find is the role of a Customer Service colleague. If you are a customer service agent in one of the contact centres you will earn upwards of £9.50 an hour, earn time and a half for overtime and Bank holidays, although if you are on the old contract you would earn double time for both aspects. The poor buggers at Capita (Bury) and Kura(Glasgow) however are probably earning minimum wage to do the same job as store colleagues and permanent staff at Dundee  8-)

Colleagues on the customer service desks in store can only currently dream of earning that much despite being level 1 workers like their contact centre counterparts. Where are the major differences in talking to a customer face to face or over the phone? I would contend that face to face contact with difficult customers is more challenging than dealing with them on the blower (plus one is in a position to turn the volume down to quieten a screamer  :D )

I'm surmising that the German retailers have a more uniformed pay structure?

Loki

Quote from: Nomad on 10-02-18, 09:46AM
Something fishy in this gender pay claim against Tesco

Worth a read, I think.

Sums it up for me to be honest. Other than that the world's becoming more insane by the day.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

Duracell

It goes back to my earlier point, negotiations have established the rates and the disparity,  the principle of the claim hasn't been on the agenda at those negotiations.

Also a lack of faith in USDAW in the past or in the future, isn't really a point in this, Loki and others corrected me once that USDAW are not the recognised union for ASDA staff and they to have made a similar claim,  so what anyone thinks of USDAW it's of little relevance to the Claim, the principle or any discussion around it.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

OpShunned

However, they would be a party in any 'negotiations' that took place, presumably. Not litigation, but definitely negotiation.

Duracell

:thumbup:
And and are representatives of The workforce which the claimants are part of are part of that process and that will be discussed, gaurenteed.

Duracell.

Loki

Only one winner in all this in my opinion... Solicitors

Duracell

Duracell.

Loki

I can't believe the amount of people who's judgements are clouded by pound signs without thinking of the possible consequences for a vast amount of employees SHOULD this claim, alongside Asda and Sainsbury's, succeed.

Sure, compensation ( minus the vultures' 25% fee ) in one hand whilst awaiting a far less palpable fate.

Guess we'll have to wait several years to see.

Hammer10

The figures being spoken about ie 4 billion pounds for tesco compare that to the figures fiddling could cause them to go under.

0Rh+

Quote from: Hammer10 on 10-02-18, 04:20PM
The figures being spoken about ie 4 billion pounds for tesco compare that to the figures fiddling could cause them to go under.
It's not "them". It's "us".

OpShunned

Perhaps store colleagues who feel they are conscientious objectors to the idea any payout, should one manifest, state in advance they are prepared to forego said cash?

By the time the robber-barons are finished slashing and burning there won't be as many of 'us' as there once was.

Carparkpothole

When I signed my contract it stated my hourly rate clearly upon it. That is a lawful contact that states the pay I am entitled to.

lucgeo

It's the other repercussions that also come into effect. The past employees, the pensioners, their pension pot on final salary etc....etc....it's not a bottomless pit.

Instore there's still people on the old grades, desk and wages on D grades, though cash office on C grade ??? First day sick pay against three day unpaid. Will that be the next claims going through?
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

OpShunned

Hey let's throw Booker colleagues (assumption) into the equation. What if it transpires their staff are on more/less than our guys. It's a slam dunk to use their distribution worker as a comparator, or vice-versa.

Customer service guys in store should be able to use their counterparts in Dundee's contact centre as comparators. Another slam-dunk? Should they not be earning £9.50 an hour, both doing the same job/tasks in essence?

trolleyboy96

Quote from: Loki on 10-02-18, 02:47PM
I can't believe the amount of people who's judgements are clouded by pound signs without thinking of the possible consequences for a vast amount of employees SHOULD this claim, alongside Asda and Sainsbury's, succeed.

Sure, compensation ( minus the vultures' 25% fee ) in one hand whilst awaiting a far less palpable fate.

Blimey a first I agree with Loki,!I've been saying this all week to the holiday/wedding/money spending planners who can't be arsed to put a shift in but take take take and moan moan moan, I actually said the consequences if successful could be disastrous to everyone else's terms and conditions and pensions but they believe they are entitled.

To be honest I'm sick and tired of it already...

OpShunned

Stop reading, avert one's eyes if it offends thee or strike one's eyeballs from their sockets  :D

mexicopete

Quote from: OpShunned on 10-02-18, 05:51PM
Hey let's throw Booker colleagues (assumption) into the equation. What if it transpires their staff are on more/less than our guys. It's a slam dunk to use their distribution worker as a comparator, or vice-versa.

Customer service guys in store should be able to use their counterparts in Dundee's contact centre as comparators. Another slam-dunk? Should they not be earning £9.50 an hour, both doing the same job/tasks in essence?

I believe the Dot.com Customer Service Loyalty Assistants would have a claim as they are doing the same job as the Dundee colleagues and they also do the job of Customer Service Desk colleagues instore whilst being paid £8.21 per hour. :o :o :o
The worlds me lobster

OpShunned

I believe you may well be right Pete  :)

The roles are readily comparable yet the hourly wage is only 86% of that earned by colleagues in a Dundee call centre.

They are both Level 1 operatives are they not? ..and why shouldn't all Level 1 colleagues earn £9.50 an hour like those in Dundee?

Nearly every facet of their wage structure is the same, colleague discount, annual bonus, pension although Dundee colleagues on the old contract get paid one or two times the hourly rate for overtime, bank hols depending on which contract they are on. If it comes down to it, why as a level one colleague should they earn less money for such premiums?

I contend that all Level 1 store colleagues should be on the same as call centre level 1 colleagues and that Usdaw should get on the case a.s.ap.  :D

panther

Quote from: Loki on 10-02-18, 02:47PM

Never thought I'd see the day Loki, when I agree with you 100%. What people don't seem to be thinking is, this will affect EVERYONE. Those £££'s don't last long

trigger

equil pay,i want the same as london rates of pay,hourly rate.
BRING ON THE WELSH HA HA HA.GRAND SLAM 2008.
VOTE UKIP.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk