News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:47AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 278
Total: 282

Health & Safety

Started by TONKA, 11-06-07, 05:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TONKA

If you have any questions on H&S, please post them here and state if it is Transport, Warehouse or Store related, and someone will answer the question. Please remember this topic is for H&S questions only.

Tonka (Administrator)

I work for the "upper quartile" not the number one retailer.

billybong

How much use are Store Risk Assessment these days.
Fenny Lock Drivers find that since going over to Regional Risk Assessors safety matters have gone from barely manageable to diabolically dangerous.
Too many stores are finding their yards jammed with equipment that Supply Chain fails to recognise needs removing, preferably by the same contractor they have used to deliver to the store.
Risks Assessments will not be taken seriously again I suspect until a fatal accident occurs.
Interestingly I believe NO fatal occurred during the period Depot base Assessors were available, and yes I was one of those, but was deemed not cost effective.
Too my knowledge there were about 5 Fatals in the year or two before Risk Assessments became the norm.
About 44 of us part timers were around then now there are only 8 full time to my knowledge. Money before Safety, Tesco in my opinion only pay a lip service to safety, nobody died during 6 yeas of Assessors so do we really need the expense now, simple answer NO lets do safety on a shoe string. BAST***S.>:(
We are now using our H&S Reps to challenge this with Tesco and will no doubt be looking for legal action should things not improve.>:(

I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
Kindest regards Billybong.

iworktoohard

Transport/Store

Regarding Risk assessments. My stores old risk assessment, was very clear and understandable, but was out of date. It took about a month to grab hold of a risk assessor to come and re do the yard. another 5 weeks for the store to receive it. Unfortunately, the new risk assessment is much more confusing than the previous one, and has many discrepancies on the plan also :(. We will be asking for a new one in a few months as the store is getting a major refit. Until then, we have both the old, and the new on display.

Biffer

Which RA is to be adhered to though ???  Confusing or what, for both store and driver.

Always up...........
Never down
Biffer ( Moderator)

Oneboxwonder

Risk assessment is serious.  likewise health and safety is likewise.  Most of the reps get grief but an active rep will always err on the light side before stepping in with the big boowets (boots to you not from my parts), and kicking some butt.  We have HS forms and can call in all sorts of people with notice to the PM and store manager.  In the end we protect all from a possible disaster, so if they do not clear up things, and it is documented, then any legal case puts THEIR name in the forfront of anyones claims.  This usually makes things happen....lol ;)

If I put on one box, it IS a wonder...inspired by an observed collegue
OBW ( Moderator )

pawky dawky

It was about four months ago, we go another freezer unit in the backyard and no one from risk assessors came to do a risk assessment.  What is the steps for getting this done?

bdman

Pawky - You should, in the B/door area, have the current risk assessment displayed. On there it tells you the name of the individual who carried out the assessment & the Depot where he/she works. Give them a call. Failing that see your store H&S rep & ask them to arrange for a yard inspection.

ali p

As advised by local health and safety over concern of heavier weights i.e. trays containing 15kg having to be lifted above head height to be loaded onto .com van via "snake fashion".We approached health and safety rep and asked for risk assesment about 3 weeks later she came back and said we had no need to see it.health and safety guidlines show 5kg for a man and 3 for a woman above shoulder height. So still no further forward even after involving union and local mp. What next?

golffish

ali p write a letter to your manager stating your concerns ask for your reply in writing. If your manager replies saying it is a safe working practice and you later develop a work related injury then this should help in the event of a claim. You can also seek guidance from the health and safety executive. Phone your local council office for the number

golffish

ali p

I don't work there anymore as i did injure myself and found it aggravating to do the job . I can't say too much on that matter as it is being looked into privately. My close friend however does still do the same job so i am still aware of what happens they are in driver re-training next week ha ha, he has been doing the job for 7 years almost as long as i was, We have been compiling details to put forward then on the matter.  I have already been to local council health and safety on the matter they got fobbed off by tesco , not normal practice and all that c***.

ali p

Thanks goldfish.  As per your advice and since area union rep i drafted up a letter for my friend to use. He took it to his training meeting today all signed together with the other 14 drivers there all signing a copy. These have been taken back with the training officer to be followed through. So fingers crossed for a healthy outcome for .com drivers.

chris52

quote:
Originally posted by TONKA

If you have any questions on H&S, please post them here and state if it is Transport, Warehouse or Store related, and someone will answer the question. Please remember this topic is for H&S questions only.

Tonka (Administrator)

question:- our store is so old it is falling down literally! we have been promised a new store for the past 3 years,in the meantime the heating and air conditioning has been on the blink, so we are freezing in the winter and roasting in the summer(when we have one) we keep telling our union reps but all they say is they have told management,and the reply is always the same they will not spend money on a new system(because they cannot get parts to fix old system)because(ha-ha) we are getting a new store.I have been in touch with union headquarters,and spoke to a very helpful man who said to insist on thermometers around the store, and if is not a minimum 60%fahrenheit we are entitled to be moved to work where it is 60%,but that is easier said than done, when it's so cold at night(I work nights) there is nowhere warm enough to work, can you help?

coa

TONKA

chris52, I have read your post and will reply soon.

Tonka (Administrator)

TONKA

chris52,

According to the workplace health and safety regs, if the temperature drops below 60f you should be afforded regular breaks to get hot drinks, the frequency of these breaks needs to be discussed by your rep and mm, if the temp goes over 85f then the same applies but this time for cold drinks. Unfortunatly there are no longer minimum and maximum temps for stopping work, just these max and min temps for refreshment breaks.
Hope this helps.

Tonka (Administrator)

taz666

Hi i work in the warehouse and it seems after 2 years they have now decided they dont like my mohawks and blonde hair, i have said today that i wil gladly wear a hat and they said im not allowed, so my friend has got me a bump cap which isa baseball cap but is a ppe cap, can they refuse me to wear PPE at work???

Anne

They cannot refuse to allow you to wear PPE, particularly in the warehouse and backdoor areas.

Anne (moderator)

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt -  Abraham Lincoln.

billybong

Hi taz666 and Anne whilst I'm probably as old as puzzled I like the 'Punk' look, I'm all for anything that brightens up the dull miserable world we inhabit.

However, that said whilst piercings and jewellery are an individuals right; when they are worn in the workplace or in direct contact with the public they will have to comply with various Health & Safety and Hygiene rules, if they do then I do not see the problem with them especially if they have not been a concern for the past 2-years.

With regard to wearing the 'Bump hat' the Main Contractor or in our circumstances the Company is responsible for providing PPE and in that context I would say they have every right to ensure that only PPE that meets all of the criteria for safety regulations and standards is worn.  >:D  8)  

Kindest regards Billybong.
          Death is the wish of some, the relief of many, and the end of all.

joe789

2 points of concern on h&s at the stobart take over at middlewich, first we have been informed that stobart will not be issuing risk assesmants to any driver, not a legal requirement, 2)all of the 13 mtr trailers are going to be replaced by stobart barn door trailers, these trailers have no internal lighting, we have been fobbed off by mm saying that most stores have the large light on the loading bay shinning up the trailer, the extra stores may have these lights (when there working) but a large number of smaller stores don't, these trailers will be doing deliveries to any store that can take a 13 mtr trailer small or large making it very dangerous for the drivers especially on nights, a good example, a driver was complaining about a delivery to Carnforth store, the lighting at the backdoor is poor at this store, he said he was unloading in almost pitch darkness, a accident waiting to happen, how are tosco  & stobart getting away with putting drivers & bachdoor staff in such peril

Chairswan

Regarding the "working in the dark issue" if the stores loading bay lights don't work, they're supposed to carry a spare torch.
Im sure if it doesn't have adequate lighting it be reported in the log book for backdoor.  Also the driver can refuse to unload if he thinks it's a H&S problem, will be interesting if anyone else was to mention this again once Stobarts roll out of MH DC.

Something else has sprung to mind whilst writing the above, it's regarding the cab design of the Stobart tractor units, I believe this can be a problem at many stores that require blindside reversing maneuvers as Stobart units have solid cabs as opposed to the rear windowed of Tesco units. :-x>:( :(

Chairswan (Moderator)
What goes up must come down!

The Mrs

Tesco fined for 'serious health and safety breach' at Sheffield store

http://www.24dash.com/news/Communities/2008-05-02-Tesco-fined-for-serious-health-and-safety-breach-at-Sheffield-store

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much. Walter Lippman

hotlips

Chairswan thanks to TM posting in this forum topic I just read your last post and your concerns about reversing blindside in a Stobarts unit. All drivers have passed their LGV test so should be able to reverse with or without a window. They have their mirrors and should also know that if it is a compromising and hazardous reversing manouvere they get the relevant guidance needed. This is part and parcel of being a LGV driver. They get no help on their tests so why expect it else where?

I know this is going to get drivers backs up but welcome to the real world and the fact that they now need to use what they where taught when they sat their tests!

Although saying all this have any of the Middlewich drivers had to drive a Stobbie unit yet or are they still using the old fleet of Tesco units?

Back to health and safety issues I know some of you may remember nearly two years ago I fell foul to excessive temperatures whilst working well update on this looks like its going all the way to court. Will keep you all posted and up to date and will let you know the outcome as and when it arrives.

Mornings are what God made beds for!

Chairswan

I do agree with you to an extent HL regarding that these drivers have an LGV licence meaning they should be able complete any manoeuvre without any hassle.:)
However, i believe when the test is taken these manoeuvres are usually done on private land without any pedestrians walking right behind your trailer with no care in the world, taxi drivers tooting at you because they have a fair to catch, bus drivers giving you agro because they're late on schedule (yes i know, but that's not the point!)
This is from someone who has been on a backdoor where all of these hazards are upon us>:(, yes we're supposed to stop people from walking about, but not all of them take notice of you because they're either in a hurry or bloody ignorant :(

A truck unit without a back window was always a pain in the arse, because you had stand around in a funny angle trying to communicate with the driver via the near side door mirror.>:(

A unit with a window was a lot easier because, all you needed to do is stand at the corner of the trailer waiving he/she in, whether they take notice of your hand signals is another matter.:):-x

Chairswan (Moderator)
If Lord Cohen didn't exsist, it be known as 'Stockwells'

POA Billy

As a driver [allegedly] I very rarely take a great deal of notice of backdoor mans instructions and if you look, most cabs have the curtains drawn in the small side windows and the back window obscured by the stow net. Though I did find it a luxury having a back window to look through when joining Tesco I very rarely use it as old habits die hard.

Not many stores require reversing on the blindside but stores like Elmers End, Thornton Heath and Elephant and Castle keep you on your toes:)

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

Jaycloth

Where can store based workers find H&S rules pertaining to them. Also Tesco working rules, I have found that many staff are unsure/ignorant of the rules and don't know where to find them.

ali p

there aren't any , they make them up as they go along haven't you noticed that :D
check rules on health and safety website..   I think you would have found rules in training for bronze-gold   and refreshers that float around occasionaly. Maybee they are in the handbook that in the whole of my 9 years there never set eyes on.

Do something wrong and you'll find out what they are.  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk