News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:26PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 275
Total: 279

Health & Safety

Started by TONKA, 11-06-07, 05:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tracy151

hi i work in a factory nights, in our cleaning cuboard we have large caustic tank which has loose lid, sometimes it spills all over floor. on floor we have caustic, acid all other types of cleaners in drums piled on top each other.
we have shower in there which is blocked by eye wash, eye wash dont work proply.
im a first aider hense i have no plasters ect,.
soon as we get visitors they get mooved.
when visitors go it all comes back.
even i know this is drangrous

Oneboxwonder

Quote from: tracy151 on 15-04-09, 08:39PM
hi i work in a factory nights, in our cleaning cuboard we have large caustic tank which has loose lid, sometimes it spills all over floor. on floor we have caustic, acid all other types of cleaners in drums piled on top each other.
we have shower in there which is blocked by eye wash, eye wash dont work proply.
im a first aider hense i have no plasters ect,.
soon as we get visitors they get mooved.
when visitors go it all comes back.
even i know this is drangrous
You need to find IF you have one a H+S rep as these chemicals could be a COSHH incident..tell him/her its mixed chemicals etc and if you have ANY worries that you cant find one ring YOUR union office for help with this ASAP...

tinner

any chemical comes under coshh..even glue does...
Tracy you need to inform enviromental health, any leeking chemical especially something that is caustic is a danger..Fumes, Burns.danger to the enviroment.
It sounds like you work in a right S**t hole. whats the union doing about it..
You also need to get intouch with the Health & safety exec..You can get their no. from your nearest council office. All this can be done in confidence..
If non of these actualy get off their backside and do something then contact your local fire station..
good luck

lichfield insider

Its all about getting cheap tins of beans and cheap booze on the shelves. All the other stuff is a legal requirement !!!

doneone

Risk assessment
    3.—(1)  Every employer shall make a suitable and sufficient assessment of—
(a) the risks to the health and safety of his employees to which they are exposed whilst they are at work; and
(b) the risks to the health and safety of persons not in his employment arising out of or in connection with the conduct by him of his undertaking,
for the purpose of identifying the measures he needs to take to comply with the requirements and prohibitions imposed upon him by or under the relevant statutory provisions.
Information for employees
    8.    Every employer shall provide his employees with comprehensible and relevant information on—
(a) the risks to their health and safety identified by the assessment;
(b) the preventive and protective measures;
(c) the procedures referred to in regulation 7(1)(a);
(d) the identity of those persons nominated by him in accordance with regulation 7(1)(b); and
(e) the risks notified to him in accordance with regulation 9(1)(c).
This is taken from the management of health and safety at work act 1992.If anyone has trouble getting hold of the risk assessments these are the regulations that should be quoted to management.

Nomad

If the above post by ted contains precise extracts then a lot of it is very sexist, 'his employees', 'not in his employment' Etc Etc.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

spirit52

Hi All,
I'm new here so not sure if i've posted in the correct place.
I'm wondering if a risk assessment has been done on the bags used on the hot deli department ?
I've been diagnosed with arthritis in my hand caused by RSI......sealing the bags
I've told my section manager about a month ago but not had any feedback yet, i'm not in the union so would be grateful for any help here ?

agency driver

Does health and safety figure in anything at Lichfield?  I have given up filling in load condition reports as there is never any feed back and nothing changes.

Over stuffed silvers, silvers loaded so high they will not clear the door when off loading, three wheeled silvers, boxes of beer or spirit stacked in silvers so they slip out as soon as they hit the ramp, heavy goods stacked on top light goods it goes on and on.

Yet drive out the yard with a bulb gone on the lorry and be prepared for a right ear bashing!   

Yes I know I am not a union member and I know from experiance I will be ignored but its not just me that experiences these problems, one day someone will be hurt! 

ih8tesco

Last year i had a bad fall at work and still suffer stiffness in my lower back. tesco are wanting me to be till trained. I started august 2005. Im ok when im moving around but being sat down or stood stationary for long periods causes me pain and relief calls often last a hour or over in our store!! Do i need a doctors note to say i cant work on tills?

Nomad

If possible get a letter from your doctor  and from a chiropractor. Sitting puts a great deal more pressure on your spine than standing.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

gomezz

Do Tesco not provide kneeler chairs when needed for medical reasons?  If not I suspect they would be in breach of the Disability Discrimination Act:-

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Employmentsupport/YourEmploymentRights/DG_4001071
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

tescotimmy

What is the legal weight that can be lifted by any staff member with reference to the high level stock ?

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

agency driver

Quote from: tescotimmy on 21-01-10, 08:01PM
What is the legal weight that can be lifted by any staff member with reference to the high level stock ?

It is a myth that there is a weight limit, it is what ever can be comfortably lifted by the individual. 

gomezz

It is not a myth that there are precise H&S guideline weights as already indicated.  It would be tricky to discipline anyone for exceeding those as they are likely to be held up as reasonable maximums in any legal proceedings.

tescotimmy

What about using ladders and steps (?)) My store has brought in 4 sets of steps so that the high level stock can be reached and no-one has been trained to use them. They do tip over if you lean just slightly to put stock on the high level and are very cumbersome to move.

Jaycloth

Cumbersome, good word! And they can tip if one has to reach for stock, particularly heavier items. I had to contend with a customer trying to push the steps away from the shelf, as he wanted to get to a product. I asked him whether he had liability insurance, should I fall on him. He got my point!  ;D When will the company give us sufficient, quality, equipment, to do our job safely and efficiently? 

Mother Goose

If you have ladders that tip as you lean (within reason) on them I would refuse to use them, they are obviously not suitable for the job in hand. Remember its your neck that could be broken if they were to go over...is it worth it? You should have a health & saftey rep take your concerns there because thats when things get done ( or should do)

agency driver

Quote from: gomezz on 22-01-10, 01:06AM
It is not a myth that there are precise H&S guideline weights as already indicated.  It would be tricky to discipline anyone for exceeding those as they are likely to be held up as reasonable maximums in any legal proceedings.

You are wrong gomezz for the reasons you state!  You cannot force someone to lift a package/box/whatever if they cant physically lift it even if it is supposedly quoted as being under a maximum weight!  A trained body builder will be able to lift more than say a 7 stone 17 year old girl!  I have never seen a maximum weight listed anywhere and I'd be grateful if you can show me one.   

Storck

Quote from: gomezz on 22-01-10, 01:06AM

Is there a maximum weight a person can lift during their work?
The Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992 (as amended) set no specific requirements such as weight limits.

That is a direct quote from the HSE Manual Handling site

http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/manualhandling.htm#is

The Mrs

There can't be maximum weights as this would take a too simplistic view, putting some in more danger than others.

The weights given are GUIDELINES. It is both the employee and employers duty of care to make use of the guidelines with allowance for reasonable adjustments.

In other words if you think you might hurt yourself by lifting something don't try to lift it. Ask for assistance.

gomezz

Quote from: agency driver on 26-01-10, 12:26PMYou are wrong gomezz for the reasons you state!

I am right for the reasons I state.  As has been pointed out they are guidelines only but these do include allowances for the differences between men and women.  I was commentating on the consequences of exceeding those weights and not about what happens when under.

agency driver

No, you are wrong there is NO maximum weight restriction on what an individual is allowed to lift! 

gomezz

I never said there was.  Do you not understand the difference between a guideline and a law?

loser38

doesnt matter who says what,at the end of the day its upto each individual to lift a weight that not only do they feel confident lifting,they also feel safe ...if its too heavy,ask someone to help...isnt that what Stresco always state at their inductions

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk