Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:04PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 303
Total: 308

Lidl paying £8-20 per hour

Started by silverbackache, 18-09-15, 06:18PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magenpie

Quote from: Tape measure on 17-02-18, 12:36AM
I have worked at Tesco now for a very long time. I remember how staff back over 20 plus years talked at how pleased they were at working there. Especially when the shares had more value. That conversation has dropped of year by year sadly. There is such fierce competition as we all know.

What I really dislike is the recent court case that was very public. Many staff hearing of this felt betrayed.
The rot began under Terry Leahy's stewardship, if you read back. Then Phil Clarke was at odds with his board so much that directors left in droves. Drastic wasn't first choice by any means, I read somewhere he was third or fourth. Clarke thought he could trade out of the slump rather than deal with the cost base, hence the inflated and over the top inventory, in addition to selling the leases. Morrisons still owns about 70% of its stores.

Way forward ?
Send dot.com to Ocado or take it out of stores to make it standalone.

Take some of the KPI's out of stores so you don't have to continuously steal staff from other sections to meet your targets. Do you think the discounters give a s**t how long you queue ?

Reduce the inventory. Funny how Kingsmill was dropped then reappeared. No criticism of the product intended.

Get rid of Clubcard. How much does that cost to administer against the benefits. All these loyalty cards start off with great benefits which then get slashed along the way - Nectar is a prime example, especially at Sainsbury's.

Stop trying to be everything to everyone in the community. It doesn't automatically bring customers through the door. Find the USP - Unique Selling Point - again.

Seriously look at replacing some Extras with Superstores. There is no shame in downsizing if it secures the future of the store and jobs. Some of the rents must be frightening.

Finally, if you don't like it, LEAVE. I and many others have. It won't get better under any leadership because the problems are deep seated, the company is too big to change quickly and the minute the share price falls below about £1.80 technically the debt is greater than the value of the company and borrowing money becomes more expensive. Carrilion's collapse has shown no one is too big to fail.

Finally, before I shut up for a while, I read Judy Bevan's book on the rise and fall of Marks and Spencer published in 2002. I re-read it recently and in a number of scenarios happening now in Tesco mirrors the failings in M&S at the end of the 1990's, and M&S still don't know their USP....

redders

OvaSees

Extremely well put - next CEO? ;)

FatFraz

The next CEO with potential will be Neville Fox, Caitlin Kirby as his PA.

Tape measure

Quote from: Magenpie on 17-02-18, 09:55AM
I have worked at Tesco now for a very long time. I remember how staff back over 20 plus years talked at how pleased they were at working there. Especially when the shares had more value. That conversation has dropped of year by year sadly. There is such fierce competition as we all know.

What I really dislike is the recent court case that was very public. Many staff hearing of this felt betrayed.
The rot began under Terry Leahy's stewardship, if you read back. Then Phil Clarke was at odds with his board so much that directors left in droves. Drastic wasn't first choice by any means, I read somewhere he was third or fourth. Clarke thought he could trade out of the slump rather than deal with the cost base, hence the inflated and over the top inventory, in addition to selling the leases. Morrisons still owns about 70% of its stores.

Way forward ?
Send dot.com to Ocado or take it out of stores to make it standalone.

Take some of the KPI's out of stores so you don't have to continuously steal staff from other sections to meet your targets. Do you think the discounters give a s**t how long you queue ?

Reduce the inventory. Funny how Kingsmill was dropped then reappeared. No criticism of the product intended.

Get rid of Clubcard. How much does that cost to administer against the benefits. All these loyalty cards start off with great benefits which then get slashed along the way - Nectar is a prime example, especially at Sainsbury's.

Stop trying to be everything to everyone in the community. It doesn't automatically bring customers through the door. Find the USP - Unique Selling Point - again.

Seriously look at replacing some Extras with Superstores. There is no shame in downsizing if it secures the future of the store and jobs. Some of the rents must be frightening.

Finally, if you don't like it, LEAVE. I and many others have. It won't get better under any leadership because the problems are deep seated, the company is too big to change quickly and the minute the share price falls below about £1.80 technically the debt is greater than the value of the company and borrowing money becomes more expensive. Carrilion's collapse has shown no one is too big to fail.

Finally, before I shut up for a while, I read Judy Bevan's book on the rise and fall of Marks and Spencer published in 2002. I re-read it recently and in a number of scenarios happening now in Tesco mirrors the failings in M&S at the end of the 1990's, and M&S still don't know their USP....

I appreciate your comments A valid point regarding KPI's.
That has become a major gripe. It requires a realistic review. It's a new era.
I agree. Dot com needs to have its own store.

madness

Quote from: madness on 16-02-18, 01:29PM
Hey drastic dave,
Do aldi do 10 feet high? no.
Do they do pick your bank holiday date? no
Do they do community work? no
Do they hand out stupid ammounts of comment cards? no
Do they do moneygramme? no
Do they do foreign exchange money? no
Do they do service health checks? no
Do they offer to pack bags? no
do they have 14 types or clementine/satsuma? no
Do they give you a budget hours to run a department then randomly have zero overtime weeks? no
Do they treat the customer as a king/queen who can do no wrong? No
do they have  home delivery service that drains the store of support staff and the best dates? no

Do YOU see the problem?

I appreciate your comment. I have had conversations over the years about their business model. It's to be admired but not to everyone's taste.
I know of people who have worked for the discounters and it wasn't a good experience.

Expectations are lower when people shop at the discounters. It's not a criticism as such.

I understand there ae problems with their model  well. In the early years  store consisted of 1 manager 1 assistant and one deputy. Trying to cover management dys off never mind holidays were difficult. They have since overome this now byhaving more deputies and  second assistant manager in most stores.
Tesco as far as I see have a staff problem becuase it is so scared of being overstaffed. How many full time ga's are there now? These are the backbone of any department when managers play musical chairs. But now with so many part timers there is no one who cares. Would you care about learning the ins and outs of your department when you work 15 hours  week but are sstudying economics at uni and have no intention of a career in retail?

Flexability is great but given the choice i'd have 6 full timers instead of 12 part timers. However the way tesco work holiday cover or vacancy cover when sometimes you get the hours and other times you dont who would risk a 36 hour holiday not being covered in your department?

Tape measure

Quote from: madness on 17-02-18, 12:26PM
Quote from: madness on 16-02-18, 01:29PM
Hey drastic dave,
Do aldi do 10 feet high? no.
Do they do pick your bank holiday date? no
Do they do community work? no
Do they hand out stupid ammounts of comment cards? no
Do they do moneygramme? no
Do they do foreign exchange money? no
Do they do service health checks? no
Do they offer to pack bags? no
do they have 14 types or clementine/satsuma? no
Do they give you a budget hours to run a department then randomly have zero overtime weeks? no
Do they treat the customer as a king/queen who can do no wrong? No
do they have  home delivery service that drains the store of support staff and the best dates? no

Do YOU see the problem?

I appreciate your comment. I have had conversations over the years about their business model. It's to be admired but not to everyone's taste.
I know of people who have worked for the discounters and it wasn't a good experience.

Expectations are lower when people shop at the discounters. It's not a criticism as such.

I understand there ae problems with their model  well. In the early years  store consisted of 1 manager 1 assistant and one deputy. Trying to cover management dys off never mind holidays were difficult. They have since overome this now byhaving more deputies and  second assistant manager in most stores.
Tesco as far as I see have a staff problem becuase it is so scared of being overstaffed. How many full time ga's are there now? These are the backbone of any department when managers play musical chairs. But now with so many part timers there is no one who cares. Would you care about learning the ins and outs of your department when you work 15 hours  week but are sstudying economics at uni and have no intention of a career in retail?

Flexability is great but given the choice i'd have 6 full timers instead of 12 part timers. However the way tesco work holiday cover or vacancy cover when sometimes you get the hours and other times you dont who would risk a 36 hour holiday not being covered in your department?

It's an interesting point regarding Part time staff and their level of commitment to the company. I have had this conversation with colleagues. I am not suggesting all part time staff don't care about their job but they can view it differently to those who work say 20 plus hours a week. They aren't around the business as much. Some are out the loop.
They may study. They have children. Some are carer's. Some work to keep their hand in! They don't need the wage. They've retired but to choose to work. There are so many dimensions to this.

It's important to have GA full time staff. Though as we've all witnessed. That full time role has declined over the years.

Do Aldi and Lidl have many full time staff?

FatFraz

Aldi/Lidl has more PT than FT now in stores, 10 hour contracts etc.

lucgeo

From what I see, at my local Aldi, is management on the shop floor filling, jumping on a checkout, speaking to others on their headsets, all the while constantly moving, setting the pace that the others work to.

From what I see, at my store, is management in meetings....management having a costa.....management on break together for a good 30mins, management on lunch together for well over the hour.....line managers backstabbing each other....senior team fuelling the backstabbing....on their phones constantly....very rarely greeting or even acknowledging the GA's .....always looking for the gullible wannabe GA on options, ripe for exploitation...dangling the carrot, giving them the duty phone whilst covering their department, over the busy trading periods, then telling them their not ready to go on a placement, as they don't want to lose their dogsbody... :-X :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Equalizer87

@ lucgeo

Sounds about right.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

OvaSees

It's not rocket science - when Tesco started offering piecemeal contracts with few hours to more people, it started to attract the kind of people who only wanted piecemeal contracts to earn a bit of extra money.

lucgeo - same obervations here.

Equalizer87

Spot on OvaSees.

I have always been of the opinion that someone who works 10 or 15 hours a weeks doesn't put all into the job (sorry but that's what I saw whilst there). Remember, those people would have most of their 168 hour weeks fir themselves, do you really think they give two hoots about Tesco?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

mexicopete

Quote from: lucgeo on 17-02-18, 04:27PM
From what I see, at my local Aldi, is management on the shop floor filling, jumping on a checkout, speaking to others on their headsets, all the while constantly moving, setting the pace that the others work to.

From what I see, at my store, is management in meetings....management having a costa.....management on break together for a good 30mins, management on lunch together for well over the hour.....line managers backstabbing each other....senior team fuelling the backstabbing....on their phones constantly....very rarely greeting or even acknowledging the GA's .....always looking for the gullible wannabe GA on options, ripe for exploitation...dangling the carrot, giving them the duty phone whilst covering their department, over the busy trading periods, then telling them their not ready to go on a placement, as they don't want to lose their dogsbody... :-X :-X

Yeah and you only need to see how long it takes quite a few of the options slaves to get signed off to realise how low calibre most of them are. Dogsbody pretty much sums most of them up very nicely @lucgeo :o :o :o
The worlds me lobster

Nomad

Lidl beats Tesco and Aldi to win cheapest supermarket for basket of 78 essential items

QuoteLIDL has beaten Tesco and Aldi in a price war to be the cheapest supermarket in June 2020, according to an investigation from Which?.

The discounter came out on top in a monthly grocery price comparison run by the consumer group.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

miriam

Lucgeo
I agree with you about Tesco management and others who are related or in a click

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk