Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23-02-18, 10:12PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 76912
  • Total Topics: 1658
  • Online Today: 161
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Free food  (Read 5807 times)

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Free food
« on: 11-02-18, 07:39AM »
Has anyone benefitted from this new initiative ???

We have the fridge etc.....all set up, but as yet I am to see anything in it ???

How does this work in your store? Who do you pay if it's a token payment of 1p? I am a day worker, so is the food just going in the fridge at the end of the day, from unsold shopfloor reductions at midnight?? If so, is this going to cause more arguments between day V's nights :o :o

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

fatboy

Re: Free food
« Reply #1 on: 11-02-18, 08:24AM »
The items are available to buy between 9pm & 11:45pm only. You can only purchase them before a shift, after a shift or during your break so the majority of colleagues won't get a look in. All the items have a 1p reduced sticker on so you just take them to the tills as usual. Must admit though, in our store we also have a fridge set up but I have never seen anything in it. The only things I have ever seen are bakery products.

dairyfresh

« Reply #2 on: 11-02-18, 08:33AM »
our store closes at 10 so we reduce at about half 9 to 1p and tray up and take it to the last checkout so any staff can look and buy as all staff finish at about half 10, as they'd have all had there breaks then it gets wasted at 10. 

RubyRed

« Reply #3 on: 11-02-18, 08:44AM »
We have things in the fridge and ambient cage. I think it’s great that the night team get to benefit from it as they usually don’t.

lackofinterest

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 11-02-18, 11:43AM »
Who cares!! 8-). if customers and charities don't want it, why should I want the c**p ???
« Last Edit: 11-02-18, 11:46AM by lackofinterest »

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 11-02-18, 01:12PM »
It's a good idea but if you have good reductions routines and 7 days charity coverage what goes in it really isn't a lot and will be things no one wants.

Son_of_gabriel

« Reply #6 on: 11-02-18, 11:44PM »
The idea is after food donation reject it. The staff get the offer of buying it. The shop should open 9.30pm till shop close. Any staff can come in to store at 9.30pm to buy, not just the staff that are on shift. Note this is in express.
« Last Edit: 11-02-18, 11:48PM by Son_of_gabriel »

weebee

« Reply #7 on: 12-02-18, 02:48AM »
Total waste of time, what i have seen so far is not worth the walk to the checkout, as for giving to charity thats a hit or miss if they decide to turn up

spike_pkh

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #8 on: 12-02-18, 09:48AM »
Some great stuff in my store. Bought my lunch most nights for a few pennies

Weed

• Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 12-02-18, 10:57AM »
Took the stuff for nothing. Not walking to checkouts for sake of a penny.

StinkyPoo

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #10 on: 12-02-18, 12:35PM »
Our bargains are available 9:45-10:15, then they get thrown away. Managed to get a few bits. Bakery items are not allowed at the moment as created problems with their waste/production figures, or something like that!

JL

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 12-02-18, 02:55PM »

:thumbup: It is just a waste of labels and man hours and creates congestion at the tills which customers don't like.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #12 on: 12-02-18, 05:45PM »

:thumbup: It is just a waste of labels and man hours and creates congestion at the tills which customers don't like.

Are you serious? Because it needs to go through the till to count as stock leaving the building for stock levels.

Weed

• Smart Arse
« Reply #13 on: 12-02-18, 05:50PM »
 ;D ^

LPBB

« Reply #14 on: 16-02-18, 06:22PM »
This is a good idea but as usual we are at the back of the queue for any goodies!! It should be available in this order 1.Staff 2.Customers 3. Charities  :thumbup: :thumbdown:

stockrotateman

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #15 on: 16-02-18, 06:50PM »
 :thumbup:

just curious

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #16 on: 16-02-18, 11:14PM »

Taking the  " Stuff "  for nothing not only causes book stock errors due to items not being scanned out of the building as sold - it also leaves you open for instant dismissal due to miss appropriation of stock - Theft  8-) 8-) !!! , it can be frowned upon and seen as gross miss conduct even if they are only penny items . You really want to loose your job for a few pennies ?.  :-X :-X

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #17 on: 17-02-18, 12:27AM »
He's just giving it big on an anonymous forum, I wouldn't pay it any attention.

LiveMyLife

« Reply #18 on: 17-02-18, 03:22AM »
Ours has been okay to be honest, quite good stuff in there although I haven't bought anything as I really can't be bothered to go back in and pay for it, just want to leave and go home lol.

Lots of bread stuff, the odd birthday cake or two, muffins, loafs of bread... the fresh food selection is pretty good too the times I have been there, lot of it is from the cooked meats aisle but still... it's basically free so...

Weed

• Smart Arse
« Reply #19 on: 17-02-18, 08:06AM »
He's just giving it big on an anonymous forum, I wouldn't pay it any attention.

;D spot

Maddog M

« Reply #20 on: 17-02-18, 10:50PM »
As a nightworker, i miss out massivley. I pay a forktune in taxis to and from work.  It not fare

spike_pkh

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #21 on: 17-02-18, 11:51PM »
As a night worker you should benefit the most. It's there from 9.30, presuming you start at 10 or 10.15 then you have 30-45mins to browse and buy before shift starts.

I have spent about 25p this week and had a great meal everyday plus fruit and veg and a cake for dessert

twit

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #22 on: 18-02-18, 09:36AM »
This is a bit of a time bomb for Tesco’s PR Team. Our staff have to present at 9:30 and declare interest. Items are then shared as equally as possible and some staff swap etc. BUT - it takes over for ten minutes leaving skeleton till cover and queues. Night staff have to arrive early to benefit and morning staff have no chance.
THEN at shift change at 10 the leaders are in conference and the till busy and a load of Tosco workers stand in the queue getting a pizza for 1p. Customers ask where this stock is. “Sorry staff only”. Polite or scathing delivery depending on colleague but nevertheless annoying customers who pay the wages. (Almost a fight last night.)
The co-op offered items to customers at 10. Tosco excludes customers and many staff members. Principle has merit - practice is self defeating. Those who always come of best still do and others don’t.
It would be simpler to ask colleagues for ideas rather than impose a weak solution.

spike_pkh

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #23 on: 18-02-18, 09:44AM »
It shouldn't leave a skeleton checkout cover if done correctly. You should only be able to purchase on your break, so management team shouldn't allow all team on break at same time.  We usually have loads of good stuff still available at 10 so night team can buy stuff right before they start, as for morning workers not getting a look in that's just unlucky for them sadly, a bit like how most night team cannot go on store days out or nights out partying. There are benefits to working each shift and jus so happens that this is one for evening and night teams

spike_pkh

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #24 on: 18-02-18, 09:45AM »
And from what I heard the whole "buying at a checkout so annoying customers" thing is only temporary whilst they implement a better system