News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:38AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 277
Total: 277

Equal Pay/Leigh Day /Tom Hewitt/

Started by OpShunned, 22-03-17, 05:49PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duracell

Does a teams history in the past have any bearing on the merits or behaviour in future unrelated claim or cases?

I Guess if you say no it doesn't, in the interests of the current claim and the Greater Good. Then you should have total faith in USDAW too, right? Same mentality surely!

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Equalizer87

@ alf

My point exactly.

@Durecell

The 'history' as you describe it, is more a show of their culture within their profession. It appears to me that Leigh Day are the opportunist of the opportunists.  The fact they pursued, badgered and harassed military personnel over what on the most part can be identified as bogus  claims for financial gain, should make those working with them on this particular case worry.

As regards to USDAW, are you serious?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Duracell

No it was a scarcastic comparison of what a consitant mentality would look like.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Equalizer87

Consistent? ? I doubt that.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

OpShunned

Some say he speaketh in riddles  :D

F*** Usdaw ..nothing ambiguous about that eh?

That's where I stand with Useless Seven Says A Week.

Never given that sorry excuse of a union one single penny of my cash and that's a fact. I have kept out of trouble and helped others who have been in bother and have asked for sincere advice and support.

Let's not get carried away with comparing entities and whether they carry a halo higher above than the head of the next but admit that the game is over for EVERYONE within the this company that have enjoyed any previous benefits and perks. The sooner you grasp that notion the better because the robber-barons ARE coming for you. Your cosy little nest will be thrown brutally from the tree. Take what you can get now and make preparation for alternative employment when you realise you cant stomach Dave's Brave New World.  ;)

alf

So you want people to take a course of  action, that may give them a short term win, whilst possibly delivering long term pain, based on nothing but speculation.

If your (or anyone else ) just looking a wee payday before you jump ship, fair enough at least that's being honest, but not everyone will be in that position.

Equalizer87

You'll be surprised how many are thinking that way. And in light of the way the company is 'operating'  I cannot blame them for thinking like that.

alf

Of course, and I don't really blame them that much, you need to look after yourself primarily, before others.

But likewise, you can't blame people, whether they're distribution or store for not buying into something that could screw them over.

Duracell

I don't disagree that many many employees have had enough.
I don't disagree that there will be more of the same.

I disagree that the "The Claim" is a genuine gender bias claim. The case just isn't there, part of the claim formulates itself on nothing more than hypothetical, speculative, stereo typical sexism. Unfounded speculative Sexist reasoning to prove a case of gender discrimination is contradictive reasoning and therefore not credible.
Not to mention gathering momentum because of a similar case label that has substantially different case evidence.

Gravy Train!

Na

Train Wreck!

Duracell.

Equalizer87

I agree that the Gender bias aspect is wrong as surely would it also not affect Male staff in the similar roles. Something tells me they pursued a 'Gender Bais' claim to jump on the bandwagon of the gender pay gap issues that are currently circling around. Though that is just my opinion.

OpShunned

Quote from: Equalizer87 on 14-02-18, 07:11PM
You'll be surprised how many are thinking that way. And in light of the way the company is 'operating'  I cannot blame them for thinking like that.
----------------------------

I hope so, I do really hope so.

For me there is no long-term gain, only a short term smash and grab which let's face it is exactly what the robber-barons are doing in my opinion.

Hang around doing nothing if you want to, try and see if the cotton-wooled Usdaw partnership stands up to the final onslaught. I can assure you that the partnership is now universally considered a dead-loss.

The best you can look forward to,in my opinion is redundancy and the possibility of winning a pay-out of some kind. This I say candidly to those of you who have woken up to the truth and not sleep-walking into a nightmare that you didn't envisage ever happening to the Tesco family. The 'old' values have gone. We are left with a callous bunch who have little sympathy for those who want to retain the old perks and comforts. If you can't see that Drastic//Charlie boy want wages almost standardised there's something s***ting up your glasses? They will get to EVERYONE sooner or later.

Customer service will be outsourced completely. I believe that the smaller format stores will be franchised out to put the onus of wages on someone else while Tesco/Booker supply the stores. Distribution will be decimated to the point where colleagues will almost beg for a way out leaving pay structure at the mercy of the heirarchy. Usdaw will not as usual stand in their way.

I didn't contact Leigh day last March on a mere whim. At the time it was obvious Drastic and Stewart were going to slash and burn. I'm glad over one thousand colleagues had the guts to get in touch with the solicitor. Incidentally, the Pay Justice group are also touting for Tesco staff to get in touch with them regarding Equal Pay so it's not just Leigh Day taking a possible cut.

Don't fall for the claim that "part of the claim formulates itself on nothing more than hypothetical, speculative, stereo typical sexism. Unfounded speculative Sexist reasoning to prove a case of gender discrimination is contradictive reasoning and therefore not credible". It's being tested against previous court cases and European law. Yes. it may be tough to win but, ALL THE POWER TO THOSE WHO HAVE THE METAL TO ATTEMPT IT, I maintain.

There may be a few here who only raise their head above the parapet in righteous indignation when they feel the status quo wobble will shake their world. It's way too late for nostalgia.

If you try to hang onto the Tesco past , you will get kicked in the teeth. Make preparation now for an exit strategy.

FatFraz

Does working in the local Aldi 10 hour per week count as an exit strategy.  :)

Equalizer87

Not sure you'd call it a strategy but it is an 'exit'

Duracell

Opshunned some have very few teeth left already.

Yet have no wish to hand them the bat to start on the kneecaps.

You got to be able to walk to take the money and run.

Duracell.

alf

People were adamant night shift were facing a massive cull this time last year, which never materialised and people have been speculating ever since on when the changes will occur. Though recently it seems m360 has put most of the rumours to bed for now, but we'll see how long that lasts.

When shift leaders were implemented into express, people were  adamant it was going result in mass TM to shift leader changes, which again never materialised.

So you're free to speculate, but it's just that speculation.

And whilst weed was probably being a tad facetious, he rises a valid point, after all if this thing passes, it's rather naive to think it won't affect other retailers.
So if I was a full time employee not quite near retirement, I'd be quite wary of expecting any exit strategy to pay off.

treetop

So much for equality of pay two people working on same department one on D grade and one on C grade doing the same job is that fair

alf

Morris999

Most likely CSD, they changed to grade C around 2008 for new CSD colleagues but left the established colleagues on grade D.
There's not many CSD colleagues left on D anymore.

londoner83

Could also be counters with some staff D and others doing same role on C.

OvaSees

Quote from: Equalizer87 on 14-02-18, 07:46PM
I agree that the Gender bias aspect is wrong as surely would it also not affect Male staff in the similar roles. Something tells me they pursued a 'Gender Bais' claim to jump on the bandwagon of the gender pay gap issues that are currently circling around. Though that is just my opinion.
Been saying this right from the start - http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=15986.msg197398#msg197398

Equalizer87

Not saying anyone hadn't,  just saying that is my personal belief.

Rigger

I'm far from a fan of how the company operates & I also have my gripes with them but I sincerely hope this case gets shown in court for what it actually is, a load of disgruntled employees jumping onto the back of some leech law firm to try & win a pathetic case that should never even been brought in the first place. Some of the posts justifying what's going on are pathetic, employees who hate their job but carry on as though a gun is held to their head each morning to make them go to work.

OpShunned

Hatch, Deborah
on behalf of
Lewis, Dave
Today, 10:05 AM
Lewis, Dave
Dear colleagues,

Many of you will be aware of the extensive coverage in the media last week of a potential legal claim around Equal Pay.

From time in stores, the office, and the contents of my mailbox, it is clear that the headlines have raised some questions and caused some confusion for colleagues, so this note seeks to clarify the matter as far as we are able and sets out five pertinent facts to share with your teams:

1.       We have received no claim as yet, so we still don't have a specific case to respond to. (you will Dave, you will)

2.       This appears to be a challenge around equal pay. In essence, the argument seems to be that roles in Distribution and Stores are the same and should therefore be paid the same. Tesco and all our competitors (allies now are they dave?) see work in Distribution and Stores as different for a number of reasons, and different market rates apply. We seek to offer competitive rates of pay across all parts of our business, including stores, distribution, customer engagement centres, and the office.

3.       This is not a gender pay issue, even if the media reported it as such. As you know, we pay Tesco colleagues the same rate for the same role in the places where they work (is that strictly true Dave if you're on different grades?), regardless of gender. So female and male colleagues doing the same roles in Stores are paid the same rate; and female and male colleagues doing the same roles in Distribution are also paid the same rate.

4.       More generally, you might have seen there's been a lot of news recently about what's called the Gender Pay Gap. (Hers's the non-relevant spin to put him in a better light)

For those who aren't familiar with the Gender Pay Gap, this is about comparing what all men and all women in all roles in a business are paid on average and measuring the difference between the male and female averages. It's not about comparing what men and women are paid for doing the same role.

We've been monitoring our pay gap for many years now, and were one of the first companies to report it voluntarily in 2012. Now, in response to new legislation from the Government, all businesses with more than 250 employees have to publish their Gender Pay Gap every year, and we'll be publishing this year's report later this month. (what does this matter to store minnions barely earning above minimum wage))

What's interesting is that the Tesco pay gap is less than half the national average. (zzzzzzz) Whilst the average Gender Pay Gap for UK businesses is 18.4% currently, at Tesco it's 8.7%. A key factor driving the Tesco pay gap is that whilst shift premiums are available to all (ugh, is he feckin serious after he cut them to shreds), more male colleagues work shifts that receive premium payments. When we don't include these premiums in the data, the Tesco pay gap is even smaller – 2.7%. You can see the full details when we share our report later this month.

5.       Tesco has always been a place for people to get on and we are absolutely committed to equal opportunity and fair and competitive pay.  (it may have been Dave but that was before you and Alan Stewart took out your pruning shears)

I hope these facts ( :D) are helpful in putting the news coverage in perspective. Thank you again for all your hard work and for everything you are doing to serve shoppers so brilliantly. (while you still have a job)

Take care,

Dave

treetop

Yes difference on CSD both worked for company same amount of time just started on different departments

Loki

Quote from: Rigger on 15-02-18, 10:22AM
I'm far from a fan of how the company operates & I also have my gripes with them but I sincerely hope this case gets shown in court for what it actually is, a load of disgruntled employees jumping onto the back of some leech law firm to try & win a pathetic case that should never even been brought in the first place. Some of the posts justifying what's going on are pathetic, employees who hate their job but carry on as though a gun is held to their head each morning to make them go to work.

Predominantly agree with this  :thumbup:
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk