News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:42PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,123
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Health & Safety

Started by TONKA, 11-06-07, 05:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Everylittlehurts

How very true about making them up. As is true in the Handbook topic, there's very little point in having anything documented as it's out of date before it comes out of the printer. That said, if they choose to change H&S rules and regs (usually for productivity reasons) unless you've got training for the change documented they'll find it very hard in disciplinaries to have a case. As with most things in Tesco, ie, working over your hours, it's just expected that you're so scared you'll do whatever they say. But they need to record it.

I remember one day not allowing any personell in my store whatsoever pull in deliveries, stop traffic or guide lorries as our pathetic risk assesment was ignorantly innaccurate and all staff had to be trained on stopping traffic and be assured they were aloud to do that on a public road. My boss said I was being pathetic but I wasn't going to let me or my staff put their asses on the line for a Tesco c**k up untill they had been fully trained and signed off on extra procedures. The Chepstow drivers did the same and refused to drop at my store.

Funny how it was sorted in a day after that. We had been waiting months for something to be done. It had to take Tesco to be hit in the pocket to take H&S seriously!

tinner

Its not just stores or tescos dc, other contractors are not allowed to enter accidents in book they have to go in as an incident. How do you think the dc's are getting the awards. If we speak out we are bullied into leaving, or we are given a tasks that is so humilliating. Nobody will back up union members because they are so afraid of the management. I will speak up, :o maybe thats why the management especially the GM wants me out.

Jaycloth

I gather that H&S reps inhabit this forum......could they answer my question, please?

The Mrs

In the absence of any other replies yet there is a download from the home page

http://www.verylittlehelps.com/dloads/indg214.pdf

and more information here

http://www.hse.gov.uk/firstaid/

The law comes before Tesco.  ;) :)

TONKA

Jaycloth, you should be able to get all the info you need here

http://www.hse.gov.uk/index.htm

Any information on your local agreements in store, should be known by your H&S rep on site, if you dont have one then you need to get one elected and put in place asap.

Jaycloth

Went in to do my night shift last night, only to discover posters etc; telling all to only pull one cage at a time, pick up rubbish etc and generally stay safe. Coincidence? Mind you, most took no notice...pulling two cages and littering, without a word from the management!

Everylittlehurts

Management wouldn't say anyhting about the one cage rule because the company don't budget for health and safety. If you've got over 100 cages to pull how is your runner going to do that by making 100 trips? Can't start early either because of the "conjestion plan". When I was told by my SM not to pull two cages at a time he afterwards said "but not really as it's impossible to get everything done that way".

bellyfull

having read many posts on this topic. it really amazes me how many don't understand H & S. Whilst it is a law the content of each are ambiguous and down to interpretation. I'm amazed that someone has posted (as fact) that because a driver has a licence to drive an LGV they are then an expert at blindside manoeuvres. The same requirements exists whether its a car or lorry licence which is...On the day of the test the MINIMUM standard was observed. How many of you watch people reverse cars in to parking bays a laugh at the attempts....same thing isn't it?

A risk assessment is not a legal requirement persay. It is a tool used by tosco to minimise any eventuality. When toscos go to suppliers. it is the suppliers responsability to give a risk assessment but they are not obliged to do so.

H & S is simply a way to minimise any issues that may happen and should be revisited periodically to see if improvements can be made........

simple facts are. If a risk assessment for a back door is conducted using a 13mtr trailer, does that then mean a 10, 12mtr or rigid trailer can't be used. My final point is. How many backdoor people tell or even show the milkman, breadman or any other delivery people their own back yard assessment. Now do you get the point on H & S....

I have waited outside many a store because of these deliveries and not once have I seen that happen. Yet I'm expected to follow these guidelines and I'm bitched about if I don't......But does the milkman, breadman or is it just ME!

The Mrs

But if you don't follow the risk assessment and then have an accident who is going to get blamed and possibly sacked? Not the breadman or milkman but YOU.

It's the only way to cover your behind.

bellyfull

Mrs, with due respect. that was my point.....Tosco people bleat about our own following the risk assessment but turn a blind eye to others....If a back door person doesn't ask the question as to whether the delivery driver is aware of the routines then has an accident then they are as guilty as anyone, should they have an accident. They should have an assessment available at their backdoor for all who use the area when delivering.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the EHO will ask the question. "Was the person aware of the routines, Who briefed that person and where was the brief recorded". If you have all that information then the blame clearly falls to others. If you don't.......Well you'll know the rest........

We all have a duty of care in our own working environment. This rule applies to everyone no matter who they work for or where their work takes them.....We drivers have a risk assessment attached to our paperwork for that store. We must read and make ourselves aware of any potential problems at that store. When we go to a suppliers we normally get their yard assessment when we sign in.

Everylittlehurts

Bellyfull, to defend my risk assessment post, as The Mrs said, I was not prepared to let my staff do something without one as they would have got blamed if something went wrong. We were expected to help in Tesco lorries and the Bread and Milkmen were instructed to do what they were told to do by their bosses.

ali p

how many staff of other departments are aware of what the risk assesment is for their own jobs.

Jaycloth

Alip, Conducted an unscientific straw poll last night, answer, not many. This is a subject that really needs addressing.

Everylittlehurts

agreed. Staff need to know what is their responsibilities and what's not.

bellyfull

Everylittlehurts. I agree with you. Next time a tosco delivery is made at your store ask the driver for his copy of the risk assessment. This will show who is responsible for doing what. Then make a copy until you can get an original. As you rightly stated in your post  "I was not prepared to let my staff do something without one as they would have got blamed if something went wrong".

By that statement, You are accountable for their safety and it is your responsability to ensure there is a current and up to date assessment available at your back door for that purpose.

There are to many of us who don't take responsability but simply believe its someone else's problem.

Everylittlehurts

That's exactly what the risk assesment business was about. I phoned and sent emails for months on end and because it was my problem nobody took any notice. But when we refused to tip deliveries and Chepstow drivers refused to deliver to the store, it then became their problem and they sorted it out. I just think it's sad it has to come to that.

Trooper

Recently involved in a H&S issue at an RSU,hold my hands up,guilty,reported for misdemeanor,slapped wrist,but rep guilty of flagrant breach of site rules.Not normally a vindictive person,but due to attitude of said arrogant rep and his childish and unprofessional manner,would like to report his conduct and actions to higher authority.Where or how would it be possible to report this.TIA.....Trooper.

PitseaSuspect

Dont know if this is in the right place to post but can anyone help. been with tesco in a store for 7 years now done several jobs, back on backdoor now. Currently i am the only full time back door man around the other 2 are off sick so I've been workin pretty much on my own apart from couple of guys in the warehouse with me for the last well at least 3 weeks now could be more. Im still updating our log book as you do for the last year at least we have been reporting we have no side guard, our electric pallet truck is out of use due to store or tesco not paying the bill for it, i dont get tip and fill team to help me and today i unloaded a thurrock which weighed up close to 36 tonne (44 cages of drinks and pallet) is there anything i can do to give the store a kick up the back side and get me some help? Even if it means taking a grieviance (spelling) out on the store, would this be frowned upon?

I am getting sick and tired of feeling like backdoor and warehouse are forgotten about

Any ideas or answered would be great help

ali p

why are the others off sick is there any conection for starters

PitseaSuspect

One person has done his ligiments in his ankle not sure how, he doesnt do much active work apart from being at work and the other slipped down the stairs at home

bill7384

:            they only try to cover themselves in case of an accident using the .you signed saying only one cage at a time.Your lucky our sm/tm`s dont pull anything they stand around then disappear for an extended tea break (1hr)

nikkid

can refuse you to wear anything that is not covered by company standard of dress - if PPE required for your job, should be provided but company spec!

Risk assessments often not updated as the change is not significant enough for the risk assessment to change. The only risk assessment held in stores is that for the backdoor and warehouse and this should be specific to the store - if yours is missing speak to your manager who should be able to get another copy - if it's out of date then Trading Law should come and reassess (they do this automatically following any refit/new equip). If no luck with any of these things, contact you local environmental health dept (at the council) they will visit and request this info.

Working temps - no absolute temps, just guidelines and provided your employer doing something (extra breaks/warmer clothing, etc) then considered reasonable

roswell

Hi i work in the customer cafe. The first person starts work at 6am to prepare the cafe for opening time at 7am. For this first hour that person is on their own. No one ever comes to the department to check if the person is OK, the kitchen is completely blocked from view. We used to have like a panic button for security but that has long since been removed. We have raised the issue that we shouldn't be on our own, because if we have an accident or  have some undesirable wander in (we have in the past found tramps and drunkards sleeping in the cafe) we are up s***s creek basically as the next person doesn't start till usually 7 when the cafe opens (sometimes later). The union don't seem interested, ususally dragging it out so we get fed up of complaining, recently we had a radio that we had in the kitchen removed by health and safety rep due to the fact that if we had an accident no one would hear us shouting for help, i find this laughable which is what i told the health and safety rep who also happens to be union rep. Can anyone advise on where we stand on this issue, is there anything that states we shouldn't be leaving someone on there own?

Thanks

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

roswell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk