News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:08AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 273
Total: 276

New pay rise

Started by cosmosmallpiece, 13-12-18, 10:26AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmosmallpiece

Hi can anyone tell me please  from what date should we be NO worse off after our last pay rise as it was stated in the leaflet we had last year about the pay rises . Thank you

T.C.1

Just looked at my wage slip what is relief pay??? I think a lot of colleges after seeing there payslips will say what pay rise? Then to cover up what sort of s**t pay deal it was they give us a double discount weekend! Merry Christmas🤔

rayinski

My manager checked for me a few months back after I pointed out that during the transition period I would be worse off, she checked for me and found out that from Nov 2018 - Nov 2019 I would be £300 better off, despite the fact the during the transition period I would be....£300 worse off.

So this pay-rise is worth diddly squat to me and all those other poor buggers who are contracted to Sunday as part of their working week, but if you only work Sunday, that's a different thing all together - they got a payment worth 18months of the difference in pay.

barafear

Please don't be fooled into thinking that any compensation payment was "18 months worth".
I think this discussion has been discussed to death - so we are where we are.
Without any location pay, the hourly rate for GAs is now £8.42.
The NLW is increasing to £8.21 in April.
It's highly unlikely that we will get another pay rise before April - or that it will go back to the usual timeframe (June/July).
It's highly likely that November/December will be the new norm.
And unless something comes out of the woodwork I cannot see any reasons for Tesco to give us a payrise other than to "meet the necessary legal ramifications" of paying at least the NLW.
Vague estimates of the NLW would see it increase to around £8.55 in April 2019, and maybe £9 by April 2020 (more likely just under.....around £8.85)
So Tesco would probably only need to give us 3% increases for the next couple of years.
And then of course, the Sunday/BH "premium" would probably go after that date. And if we're lucky, Tesco would "reinvest" that saving - so everyone would get around 5.5% instead of 3%.

All just surmising.

Quote from: T.C.1 on 13-12-18, 11:26AM
Just looked at my wage slip what is relief pay??? I think a lot of colleges after seeing there payslips will say what pay rise? Then to cover up what sort of s**t pay deal it was they give us a double discount weekend! Merry Christmas🤔

Relief pay is paid when you work for an hour or more on a department which is paid the skills payment.

Expressdude2016

minimum wage will be set at least £9 an hour in 2020 that's already been announced by government.

Red75

Finally signed a new contract. It's for £268 something. The previous contract which I signed before July was for £270 and change. I feel bad about being so passive about the erosion of our terms and conditions and accepting the ambiguous deceit of Tesco but I'm probably not alone. I'm kind of past caring. I never knew that an employer could give you a 2 year pay risethat includes a second year pay cut. I don't see the company doing well. Prices are going up, probably to offset the loss of market share. I'm pretty sure that we are still engaged in a price war but our leadership have forgotten this in their search of increasing revenues. Isn't this failure to recognise what is happening in the market something that had a detrimental effect on Tesco not so long ago. Equivalent products of similar quality are 30 - 40 percent cheaper at Aldi. There's always been an element of 'what we can get away with' with a lot of Tesco's pricing. Look at the £12 chocolate cakes out for Christmas, I find that expensive. Aldi and Lidl price everything to offer value. I just think senior management are putting up prices to pay for their vast salaries and bonuses. Senior management's greed will be Tesco's undoing. A GA's worth seems to be about 2 percent above minimum wage every April with a pay rise to keep us 2 percent above the following April's minimum wage rise in November. I waste way too much time thinking about this. I'm sorry if it offends some of you but I honestly find Tesco to be nasty greedy company.

barafear

Quote from: Expressdude2016 on 13-12-18, 01:27PM
minimum wage will be set at least £9 an hour in 2020 that's already been announced by government

Govt don't "set" the NLW (per se). The £9 was their "stated aim" - but every chance it won't happen.
Then again, with Brexit or not, who knows what will happen?

Sorry, I should have used the word "pledged"

Here's a link from a year ago......not sure things have improved much

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-living-wage-increase-2020-government-will-fail-says-watchdog-a7621256.html

lordadmiral

It's what I said in another thread. In April 2020 Tesco will be forced to give us pay rise to match new minimum rate.  It won't be £9.

According to the grocer magazine Tesco has second worst pay and it will stay like that for a long time.

Spongbob

I looked up a old contract from 2007 my basic pay was £335 my new 2018 basic is £340 Lol wow there you go what pay rise

fatboy

Anyone any idea of when we might get another pay increase? Thanks

Spongbob

They will probably cut the Sunday and overtime rate down to single time to fund the rise asvyhey have done in previous so called rises then probably cut back on something else just too naff off the long serving colleagues for example  paid sick as in my previous post my basic pay not really increased much since 2007

fatboy

Do we usually get an increase in basic pay in May?

Blackcat3

I think next one will be November before the living wage comes in

fatboy

National living wage is due to go up in April.

barafear

But our current lowest rate (£8.42) is higher than the new NLW (April) - therefore, Tesco will be under no obligation to increase pay.
It will only be out of the kindness of their hearts if we do get another increase much before the end of 2019. (or maybe the hard work and persistence of USDAW?)

Hammer10

I was told by a union rep that discussions for this years pay rise are ongoing at the moment.

barafear

That may well be true - historically we used to get our pay review/rise in June/July - hence discussions would begin at or around the beginning of the calendar year. However, these same discussions took place at the same time two years ago - but the actual start of the "two year deal" did not increase our pay until November.

So it is only my humble opinion - but it seems highly unlikely that Tesco will give us another pay rise so soon after the final part of our two year deal (which happened in November 2018). Especially when legally they don't have to.

It's likely/probable/possible that we'll get a small pittance of a bonus - think this is probably paid in or around May/June - so from that point of view - Tesco won't want to have to increase pay before that -

Anyway - as I say, I have no inside info - just my feeling/hunch that we're unlikely to see that £8.42 move upwards before November 2019!!

Maybe someone can set up a poll and see which month wins?

Charlie Harper

In agreement with barafear. November 2019 at the earliest. Anything sooner would be a very welcome surprise.

londoner83

Until Tesco knows how Brexit will impact them, i can't see them agreeing any pay increases.

his scots tie

Tesco don't want to give you a pay rise ,full stop.No matter how well they are doing they will just use things like  Brexit as an excuse to keep staff just above min wage.once again when that goes up in April someone on min wage,39 hours or min wage breaks paid,will be earning more than Tesco worker on ,£8.42.Tesco will probably wait till Nov 19,robbing staff of four months pay again,before paying next year's pay rise,knowing if they don't give staff a pay rise then it will be forced upon them in April 2020 when the min wage goes up again

Slim78

The 2018 pay rise was in 2 parts one rise on July 1st (+16p on established rate to £8.18) and another on 18th November (3% on base rate and skills payments taking established b/c grade to £8.42)

In our newsletter in our canteen it says that negotiations are due to start and that they are trying to negotiate a 'substantial' increase in base rate and also an increase in night premiums

barafear

The "two year" deal started in Nov 2017. And the first increase was in 2017.
The 16p you refer to in July 2018 was simply "reinvestment" of the savings Tesco made by reducing Sunday/BH premium to 1.25.

The actual "pay increase" was really only the two increases in Nov 2017 and Nov 2018. And depending on your days of work, you recieved "up to 10.5%" increase.

BarryZola

You have to wonder how they're going to keep our wages running above/equal to NLW after they've completely cut the last of the Sunday premiums etc to pay for them? How are they meant to keep profits up without cutting staff benefits? Cutting staff/pay is the easiest way to make senior management look like they're doing a good job of making money, so how do they do this once they've stripped everything away from us except a basic wage at NLW? I suppose we'll be finding out in the next couple of years. I mean, they do keep telling all of our managers that they're over hours on their departments...........

just curious

BarryZola - stop wondering

They will sell off there subsidiary company's / Land banks and other portfolios etc to falsify income figures etc  that's how they will achieve the income to pay the increase in pay  :question:

Sorry i forgot , they have already done that with anything they could sell - only thing they found hard to off load was the clubcard data base side of the company , ( although they have reduced the number of places where you could exchange your clubcard vouchers for days out etc and double up the value of the vouchers on theme parks and such ) , The garden centres , some over seas parts of the company , opticians and photo shops etc all got sold off as franchises or leased out a few years ago to make it look as though income was up and debts were down  :-X :-X

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk