News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:52PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 302
Total: 305

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little Tinker

Be careful bearman, if they ask you how your shoulder was strained, be careful about answer.

I had six months off from my shoulder muscle snapping  :(

Its official name is rotator cuff impringment, and it could happen to you, so be careful m8:)

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches.

Geezer100

Many thanks to the Middcomp driver tonight...
While swinging round in the yard, he managed to hit my gate. Now it's bent, and will not shut properly and can't be locked. Trailer also damaged.
Duty manager informed, who happens to be warehouse manager as well. Not impressed.
Dot comedy van was in the yard, I asked dot comedy driver to move it. Went to let wagon in, informed him that it was there and was going to be moved.
I'll be ok he says, just watch my back end on the dot comedy van down the bottom near the bins.
A bit later Crash!
Everyone in yard looks.
Looks like it could be a new gate job!

Northwich Back Door Men have been renamed TOPS = Tidy Other Peoples S**T

Geezer100

oh, I forgot to mention. He wasn't Polish! He was English.
So it rules out that it's the Polish drivers.
No doubt I will get hauled in office tomorrow to give statement.

Chairswan

Statement tommorow Geezer ???
When i had another English agency driver take the shutter out of the wall, the driver & myself had to write statements within 10 minutes of the incident happening >:D
By tommorow geezer you would of forgotten what happened last night ;D

may the force be with you
even when it isnt!
Now the latest moderator to hit the fold!

Geezer100

Duty manager was informed as soon as wagon had finished backing onto bay.
Three were several memebers of staff in yard at time.
It was 10 mins from home time.
I had to write it in Log Book, and write a request for In-store Technian to look at it tomorrow.
Duty manager at the time was the warehouse manager, so he was not impressed to say least.
Funny that no-one wanted me to write a statement. I did give him a verbal statement of what happened. I was under orders of driver to watch the back end to make sure it didn't hit a dot comedy van! which is damaged anyway!

Geezer100

I will wait till the new GM finds out tomorrow what has happened, the brown stuff will hit the fan big time.

Bearman

and were you watching then Geezer or were you like alot of backdoor men and just open the gate and walk off or chat with ya mates and watch the driver but not actually help????

Geezer100

I was watching the back end like I was asked too. From the position I was in, I could not see the front of the trailer, only a drivers mirror.

Geezer100

A little update on the crash.
In-store technian looked at gate. Nothing he can do, but photos of gate need to be taken for insurance purposes, as it's to be an insurance job.
Boss asked me to ring midd-comp to find out details of driver, vehicle etc.
Rang midd-comp, lasses in transport knew nothing (what's new?!)
Got put through to Transport manager, who also knew nothing, but took my details and would ring me back. Typically he rings me back when i'm on my break.
I rang him back when off break. Turns it driver had not reported it (naughty naughty). Photos taken of trailer damage. Drivers details given, along with trailer number and veichle reg. Turns out to be an agency driver.

Geezer100

forgot to mention that when I rang back, was told that they were waiting to interview driver.
As yet no-one hs sat me down, and said let's write down what's happened. Tomorrow(sat) is my day off, so it will be Monday before it's done, if it's done.

Chairswan

Geezer do you have pictures for the VLH gallery ???

Geezer100

Picture of gate can be taken, but sadly picture of trailer was not taken, as I was unable to take a decent shot without moving the side panel of the unit (it's move to allow easy access to air-lines etc). I was not prepared to do that.

Geezer100

Perhpas some1 at midd-comp can get pcitures, as no doubt the trailer will be out of action, and parked up somewhere marked not to be moved/used. Untill this claim has been sorted out. From what I understand it's all an inusrance job. But if the driver was agency, if he admits it's his fault (cos it sure as heck aint mine!) will they claim off his inusrance or will it be internal insurance?

fatmanpoop

Sounds like the driver deserves a values award, i think he done well, Made the yard bigger for everyone else and made the delivery, Why did you allow other staff in the yard knowing there is a lorry about to manouver then Geezer ???  Did they all have Hi-viz jackets on[?] Was you wearing a Hi-viz jacket letting the driver in[?] shame Harlow don't deliver there ;)

Bearman

You are right Fatmanpop and i wonder just how much of that yard was full of RSU and cages blocking up the yard for the wagon to swing round in. Easy to blame the driver and if the yard was clear then maybe it was his fault but like most stores the yards are always full of sh** and the wagon is expected to go round it. Shame backdoor man don't take as much interest in clearing that ???? ;)

Faceandgo

This is starting to look like a blame the backdoorman thread!

"This topic is for members to mention accidents on Backdoor, preferably involving people unloading trailers; or trucks involved in incidents at a stores yard."

Not for others who wer'nt there to apportion blame!

take two cages onto the shop floor? not me i just   faceandgo! (moderator)
take two cages onto the shop floor? not me i just faceandgo!(Administrator)

Time is too slow for those who wait
Too swift for those who fear
Too long for those who grieve  Too short for those who rejoice  But for those who love, Time is eternity.   -Henry Van Dyke

Bearman

faceandgo no one is blaming anyone but there are two sides and as i read it the driver was to blame for the gate so we are lead to believe and we are just making our point that at some stores backdoor staff are no help what so ever therefor everything falls on the driver when in fact you are suppose to help the driver if asked and in some yards that help is needed as the yard is so full that turning a artic is just not as easy as some think, but they are the people who are quick to pass the blame. So i take it from your comment you are blaming the driver without being there yourself.

Faceandgo

Bearman
I commented that is was turning into a blame the backdoorman thread. re-read the last two posts,your own and fatmanpoops's there's not a word about did the driver.....but a lot about the backdoorman/yard.
I ALSO said "Not for others who wer'nt there to apportion blame!" At NO point have I said it's the drivers fault.
I WAS'NT there, I DON'T know.

take two cages onto the shop floor? not me i just   faceandgo! (moderator)
take two cages onto the shop floor? not me i just faceandgo!(Administrator)

Time is too slow for those who wait
Too swift for those who fear
Too long for those who grieve  Too short for those who rejoice  But for those who love, Time is eternity.   -Henry Van Dyke

Geezer100

quote:
Originally posted by fatmanpoop
[Why did you allow other staff in the yard knowing there is a lorry about to manouver then Geezer ???

They were dot comedy drivers tcuked out of the way in their shelters, loading/unloading their vans.

quote:

Did they all have Hi-viz jackets on[?] Was you wearing a Hi-viz jacket letting the driver in[?] shame Harlow don't deliver there ;)

As far as I am aware, they all had hi-viz jackets on.
Mine was on as well.

fatmanpoop

Thankyou for the answers Geezer, Both myself and Bearman was not putting the blame on you or the driver for the incident but just pointing out what normally happens at stores nowadays and if the yards are kep't clear then accidents like taking out gates/fences and lamp posts or even dot comedy vans(sometimes) can be avoided and hopefully nobody gets hurt in the process, It does get anoying sometimes though when a gate opens for a driver via twist of a key in the warehouse or gate and everyone is watching a driver struggle to turn and get on the bay, Thats when the hand brake comes, on engine off and wait for the yard to be cleared before stores have the load which they are waiting for,

Bearman

thankyou fatmanpop i am glad you see the point . Faceandgo your point seems to be protecting the backdoor man when we were not blaming him directly but as fatmanpop points out that if yard managment was better sorted these problems would not be a issue.
The reason this subject angers me is i am fed up of backdoor men who do not help the driver but are very quick to comment about his driving. On this matter i was not there as you point out so i don't know who was at fault in this case but i have been in many stores that we at Harlow service and in very few have i had the help from the backdoor men. They open the gate by switch at the backdoor and stay in hiding until the truck is on dock or they come and open the gate and walk off to carry on their chat with their mates. whilst you are reversing they let other staff walk in the yard which also causes a hazard. So my point to all this is if we all work together then as Fatmanpop says there would be no accidents and everyone would be happy but till then this suject will go on.And i don't put all this down to the backdoor man but to the store manager who should train his or her staff better and check the yard to be sure there is enought room for the deliveries but they don't so so the probel continues.

Chairswan

Thats's a good point there Bearman mentioning training, it's up to the Backdoor section manager or in todays situation backdoor Team leaders to incorporate the appropriate training Bronze, Silver & Gold.

What i believe happens in many stores including my store is that there arn't enough staff to cover the shifts needed, so when a lorry comes into deliver at a store the usual backdoorman is off sick & no-one backdoor trained is there to cover that shift, so MM will bring someone from the produce section to unload the delivery, who are seldom trained or given PPE for the job.  If they were to have an accident stresco will wash their hands of it, even more so if a driver was to bring down a gate post whilst he or she shunts through the mess of the yard because no one has been able to do it that previous morning, then MM are or should be liable because they're not doing their job of insuring the backdor is clear>:( >:D

As a backdoorman i apreciate that my store is not easiest of all stores, i always make sure i stand in the proper position so the driver can see me in their mirrors, i always wear my vi-viz jacket, if the driver is looking the wrong way when backing in that's their problem if they take out the shutter runner>:D :-[

we have a well old store rite no funky hitec lifts rite but the depos still but pallets on the back it takes 6 of us who are bk door trained to get these pallets off the wagon coz we havent got the stuff we need this 1 time the sent 2 pallets of coke o the back the as soon as we started 1 the first 1 fell of the bk of this lorry and when every were the second was the same and this other time the sent a driver with a falty tail lift he didnt even speak english and like £1000 pound of wine fell of the bk and i have never seen a manger move that fast lol

Geezer100

Dr Greenthumb, I am having difficulty understanding your post.
Perhaps you could edit it so it makes more sense.

hotlips

Well I also have trouble deciphering it too. RITE.
Please dr Greenthumb take a little time to preview your post before posting it we would appreciate it because I think that you might have an interesting post from what I could gleen out of it.

North/South divide is being sorted

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk